Scratched rear bumper, repaint or replace? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scratched rear bumper, repaint or replace?

Hi I have a silver 2012 altima. Yesterday the rear bumper was scratched by another car in the parking lot, and the scratch is quite observable...never had this kind of problem before, and I'm not sure how much it is going to cost to repaint the bumper or to replace it. Shall I go to a body shop to repaint it, or find a replacement bumper in this case? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Best,
Xiaofie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 AM

would help if you had pix

Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM
nip it in the bud

I would just repair it. I just had my rear bumper repaired from my wife backing into a wall, closing the garage door on the bumper and hitting a stucco pillar on the right side of our garage while backing out damaging the side bumper and the right rear splash guard. It costs $300 bucks to repair and it looks 99% like new.

2003 Altima 2.5S Polished Pewter 2007 Altima 2.5S Dark Slate
Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM
i make cars go fast..

+1 on repair.. unless you are able to find a OEM bumper for cheap.. almost all the aftermarket bumpers that I have seen have some fitment issues.. Bumpers are just that.. it takes bumps.. it used to drives me nuts if I see scratches or dings on the bumpers.. but thanks to Nissan's soft paint and 10+ scratchs/small dings later.. now i'm immune to them..

2009 Super Black 2.5SL CVT Loaded
3.5 Mirror
8000K DDMTuning Lo
3000K DDMTuning Fog
Stillen Front Lip
K&N Drop-In Filter
Super Black Grille
Racingline White LED Kit
Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Try clean it. I mean some scratches aren't real. Could be paint rubbed on and just needs a good car wash and elbow grease. My moms boss had a few black scratches from another car so I tried using my nails to remove it off and it looks like new lol! But it would be very helpful with some pictures at different angles.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 AM
LOL AWD

A bumper is either repairable or it's not
Have a shop look at it.
I am betting it's repairable.
The nice thing about bumpers is that they are painted off the car, meaning they don't have to blend it with the adjacent panels, meaning a cheaper bill.

My snail eats rice

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo
Old 07-24-2012, 05:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. One thing to clearify is that the part scratched is the bumper cover not the bumper, and there is no deformation. Attached is a picture I took earlier today. How much do you think it is going to cost to repair it? If they repaint the bumper, will they just paint the scratched area or the whole cover? Thanks!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 AM

They could prolly just spot paint it since your car is so new. I'de guess $100-$150.

~Mark

SOLD: 2010 Altima 3.5SR Coupe Fully Loaded- Eibach Springs/Racingline Y-Pipe/Takeda Intake

Nissan Factory Service Manuals (FSM):
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/
Old 07-24-2012, 10:27 PM

Do the above but I think it is better to take it off and spot paint it. much easier and it dries better. Try put painters tape around it and use it as a guide to fill those holes.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:39 AM

Garage
I would try to touch it up with OEM Nissan touch up paint, I would have it professionally done. (I had mines professionally touched up for free from a Nissan Dealership Autobody). I think its because my car has the pearl white, they can't spot paint it. Silver might be different.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 PM

I've got the same issue, front bumper. Just a little scuff where the guy backed into me. He got out, had a look, got back in and drove off while my wife and I and a witness were walking up to my alti. We think he'd been drinking on the beach earlier so there's his excuse to buggar off--fear of being caught. I've made it a police and insurance issue - hit and run - because of his cowardice. Unfortunately the car isn't registered to him (maybe his wife) so he'll probably get away with it and it'll be on her record instead. Anyway, I'll get my bumper repaired...

PMJ
2011 Altima 2.5S Ocean Gray. Mods: fog lights, chrome door handles.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I would try to touch it up with OEM Nissan touch up paint, I would have it professionally done. (I had mines professionally touched up for free from a Nissan Dealership Autobody). I think its because my car has the pearl white, they can't spot paint it. Silver might be different.
Silver is hard to paint up as well. OEM paint is just like the touchup paint you get at any auto part store. Its not OEM but the color is darker than OEM paint. Professional auto repair shops would say it all depends how much paint and thinner was added and how close they sprayed the paint at the time.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM

Body Shop

I would take it to a body shop. Do not attempt to fixed this your self watching a youtube video. You could make things worse. Just take the car to a reputable body shop.

Maybe your insurance company can recommend a good body shop. Good Luck
Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 AM

Actually by looking at it carefully again I would try touch up paint as a temporary fix until you want to repaint that rear bumper. If you are going to keep it then it is prone to scratch again from something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode