Problem with intelligent key - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problem with intelligent key

Who has had issues with their key and what was the problem?

I suspect that there is something messed up with the whole system in my car, not just the fob. Sometimes the fob doesn't work and I usually have to put it in the slot, and even with a brand new battery that I tested the voltage of, the car tells me the fob has a low battery. Sometimes the unlock buttons don't work. The thing is that I don't want to spend over $100 for a new key, just to find out it's something wrong with the cars system not the fob.
When I tried to explain this to the dealership they tested my fob on some machine and said my key was outputting the normal strength, but since the fob looked pretty beat up it was probably that, and didn't bother checking anything out on the car. That was before my warranty ran out, and now that it has I'm going to be pissed if I find out it is/was the car the whole time.

So I guess what i'm asking is has anyone had any issues with the intelligent keys' system regarding the parts in the car. And how likely is it that my key would work at varying strengths on it's own terms. And am I wrong for thinking they should've done more to help diagnose it than look at my busted up fob and say that's the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 PM

If you had the problem documented when it was under warranty, then they will/should still honor it now.

~Mark

SOLD: 2010 Altima 3.5SR Coupe Fully Loaded- Eibach Springs/Racingline Y-Pipe/Takeda Intake

Nissan Factory Service Manuals (FSM):
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/
Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 PM

the problem is I don't think they documented anything. I mentioned it to someone while they were doing my oil change and he pulled out the box he tested the strength of the signal on and when looking at the key he said it was probably just the fob. I lost my patience with arguing/reasoning with this particular dealership quite some time ago, so i just mentioned that I didn't want to spend $200 on a key when it wasn't a guarantee that it would fix the problem.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 AM

i have the same problem, just can't find the time to take it to the stealership to get it checked out.

I replaced the better in the fob it still says it's running out of better, sometime the car doesn't lock/unlock and i have to the put the fob in the slot to start it.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:19 AM

I've been dealing with it for well over a year now. I wasn't too concerned about it until I recently couldn't get the car to start and the car kept telling me to press the brake to start. But know i'm seeing that might be because of a bad stop lamp switch, a completely different, but common problem.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM

I am having the same problem.
Started a couple of months ago with one key fob, so I switched to the other one and didn't have any more issues until yesterday.
Now I have intermittent issues with both key fobs. Tried replacing the batteries and it did not help.

My only other thought is that the cars battery may be getting weak. I still have the original battery in the car so it is about 5 years old. Still seems to start the car fine though.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Just found this thread....sounds like an expensive fix:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...ml#post4310042

2008 2.5SL
Sonoma Sunset

2007 FX35
Autumn Copper

Last edited by hazmat; 11-26-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 PM

Garage
I had a problem where my push to start button didn't respond, doors didn't lock or unlock, trunk was locked, ended up being the BCM. They originally quoted me like 120 for the key to be reprogrammed, but then they realized the key shouldn't have to deal with the trunk NOT BEING ABLE TO OPEN FROM THE DRIVER SIDE BUTTON LOL.

Scion FRS
10 Series

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode