Car cranks but wont start - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-20-2012, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Car cranks but wont start

Title says it all, battery is good done all maintenance that is necessary never had a problem with this car. I try a couple (4-5) times before it starts up, anybody had this issue? Cars has only 63,000 and warranty is up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfeater View Post
Title says it all, battery is good done all maintenance that is necessary never had a problem with this car. I try a couple (4-5) times before it starts up, anybody had this issue? Cars has only 63,000 and warranty is up
Iv'e never had that issue with my Nissan, but I have had what you seem to be describing here with other vehicles Iv'e owned.

This is just an educated guess, but it sounds like your fuel pump may have just gone out.
#3 Old 10-20-2012, 01:08 PM

(Thread Starter)
dame i was thinking the same thing, well ill keep you guys posted after i install a new one
#4 Old 10-20-2012, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
at least it's not a real hard job to do. if I remember correctly, the fuel pump can be accessed by removing the back seat. in a lot of cars you have to drop the tank to do it. but 63k sounds a bit early for a fuel pump.

1998 nissan 200sx se (daily driver)
2007 nissan altima 2.5s cvt (wife/family car)
2012 chevy camaro (weekend toy)
#5 Old 10-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
at least it's not a real hard job to do. if I remember correctly, the fuel pump can be accessed by removing the back seat. in a lot of cars you have to drop the tank to do it. but 63k sounds a bit early for a fuel pump.

Agreed that 63K doesn't sound like many miles to be replacing a fuel pump, but it also sounds like the engine is cranking fine, but there's no gas getting to the engine.

Also, if the OP runs the car near empty lots of times, the fuel pump is gonna go sooner rather than later.

@smurfeater

" If " it indeed turns out to be your fuel pump, here are 2 tips that will help you avoid this situation from happening again any time soon down the road.

1. Try to keep your fuel tank as full as possible.

Many times when fuel pumps go out, it's because a person constantly runs their car at or near empty, allowing the fuel pump to suck up debris from the bottom of the gas tank.

2. Run a bottle of Lucas Fuel Treatment in your car about every 6 months.

Also, don't forget to change the fuel filter while your changing the pump.

Since your gonna be right there anyway, you may as well take care of that.

I recently had to change the fuel pump & filter on my wife's 03 Pontiac Grand Am GT with a mechanic friend of mine, and I couldn't believe how freak'n dirty the fuel filter was.

We were hesitant to change the filter at first because we were worried about snapping or bending a rusted fuel line, but I insisted that we try anyway.

When we finally did get the fuel filter off, my friend told me that we were lucky that we decided to change it, then turned the filter over, and nothing but pure black soot came pouring out of it.

Last edited by monstarr; 10-20-2012 at 05:00 PM.
#6 Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 PM

(Thread Starter)
that was a good call monstarr also I'm starting to realize if it was the pump the car would be hesitating if i wanted more gas or a little rough idle and I'm not getting that. And i never let the gas tank go past the 3/4 empty and I use plus gas. And also realize when the outside temperature is warmer i don't have this issue (or maybe its just me thinking the temp is effecting start)
#7 Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 PM

isnt the fuel filter part of the pump/sending unit?

#8 Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 702L32 View Post
isnt the fuel filter part of the pump/sending unit?
Fuel Filter and pump is a single unit. Can't just replace the filter.

Scion FRS
10 Series

#9 Old 10-21-2012, 03:29 AM

thats what i thought. dont know the logic behind that but oh well. another reason to use high quality gas, fuel system cleaners and not run your tank too low.

#10 Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
thats what i thought. dont know the logic behind that but oh well. another reason to use high quality gas, fuel system cleaners and not run your tank too low.
it's for Nissan to deplete their fuel pump inventory.

Scion FRS
10 Series

#11 Old 10-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Fuel Filter and pump is a single unit. Can't just replace the filter.
Iv'e never had to replace the fuel pump in my Altima as of yet.

However, I just replaced the fuel pump in my wife's 03 Pontiac Grand Am GT, and the fuel pump & filter are separate.

There's no easy way through the back seat on her Pontiac either like someone else mentioned here earlier that "may" be possible through our Nissan's.

We had to do it the old fashioned way and put the car up on jack stands, then crawl under it and drop the fuel tank.

And what a freak'n pain in the ass that was.

But one old trick did work for us.

The car broke down up town and was parked at a gas station, and I was already calling around to get towing prices, when my mechanic buddy decided that we should go try one thing to it first.

He crawled under the car with a rubber mallet and beat on the gas tank, and that must have knocked some debris loose that was clogging the fuel pump, and I was actually able to start it and drive it about 2 miles back to his house.

Last edited by monstarr; 10-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.
#12 Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
No doubt about it.

I had no idea about the Nissan fuel pump and filter being together like that.

And hopefully I won't have to experience f**king with that any time soon.
#13 Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 PM

@Smurfeater

As I stated in my original post, the fuel pump thing was just an educated guess, because it sounds like the same s**t Iv'e been through when a fuel pump goes out.

I know there is a trick where you can pop a fuel line at the top of the motor to see if your getting gas through it when you turn the key, but I wouldn't even know where to start on giving you advice on that one.

My mechanic friend usually does most of my work, but I do help him from time to time, like I did with the fuel pump on my wife's car.

I can tell you one thing for sure though. If the car is cranking over fine but you aren't even getting a hint of it wanting to start, you "may" be looking at an electrical problem.

But then again, that could still be your fuel pump too.

Just before I purchased my Nissan, I had an 04 Pontiac Sunfire which the fuel pump also went out on.

And when the pump went out on that, she would crank all day long but wouldn't come close to starting.

Then my wife's 03 Pontiac Grand Am Gt would spit and sputter like it wanted to start.

If the car is wanting to start and coming close to starting though, then it most likely is your fuel pump.

And if it turns out to be an electrical thing though, I'm about as clueless on that one as any weekend warrior that likes to play mechanic in his spare time would be.

But I'm also very confident that there are many people here who are more than willing to step up and offer help, advice and links.

And I'm even more confident that they know a whole helluvalot more than I do.

Last edited by monstarr; 10-21-2012 at 07:58 PM.
#14 Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
this same situation, cranking but not starting, happens from time to time on my old 200sx, and would happen on my wife's civic from time to time. anytime I would cold start one of those cars, and then turn it off right away (only letting it run for a few seconds); the next time I'd try to start it it would crank but not turn over. in order to get it running, I'd have to keep cranking and cranking while pumping or holding down the gas pedal. and when it would finally turn over it would just sputter for a few seconds and then go to normal. once it started they'll run perfectly, and so long as I don't do the cold start and quick shutoff it never happens. never have figured out why they do that.

1998 nissan 200sx se (daily driver)
2007 nissan altima 2.5s cvt (wife/family car)
2012 chevy camaro (weekend toy)
#15 Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstarr View Post
No doubt about it.

I had no idea about the Nissan fuel pump and filter being together like that.

And hopefully I won't have to experience f**king with that any time soon.
yeah u better hope so! haha my pontiac G6 was an all in one too but there was NO access under the rear seat only way was to drop the tank never had to mess with it though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode