Stuck in snow! - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stuck in snow!

Came home from work the other night in blizzard conditions.
Actually thought I was going to get stuck just getting home!

But I made it home and got stuck in my driveway!!! About 15" of snow..
I have a jeep with a snowplow and plowed in front of the Altima, then shoveled all around the car, tried to get the snow out from underneath the car..
After about an hour of shovelling and spinning tires, I was still stuck and running low on patience!! :$
Then I said f$@& it... Drove the jeep around the car so I was behind the Altima now. And droped the blade pushing a big snowbank into the back of the car.
This kept a snow barrier between the plow and the Altima, and allowed me to push the car ahead I couple feet, and unstuck!
I was nervous doing this, but it worked! Drove the car in the garage, it melted off, and their is zero damage! It was actually quite gentle!!

Just a stupid story someone may find amusing.. Oh ya, don't try this at home!
I am a trained idiot

2007 Altima 2.5S
OEM spoiler
Rust proofed
Pioneer deck/satelliteradio
aluminum kick plates
245/45 R18 Kumho's on 3rd Gen Maximum 18"s
Two baby seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 PM
DLS
Bordering on Insanity

I would have used the jeep to tow the car onto clear pavement. Depending on how the snow compressed and what its surface texture was you could have done a lot of damage!

I'm curious as to how that much snow built up under the car to keep it from moving again after you had driven it into position.

Side note: How do you keep traction when plowing? Most short wheel based vehicles do a poor job plowing as they tend to "fishtail" behind the plow losing traction compared to a longer wheel based rig. I lived in snow country for years ... made a ton of money plowing ... and never really did see a good result from the guys trying to plow with jeeps and such?

Cheers!

'09 Altima 2.5S CVT 65K
'10 Armada SE 4WD 55K
#3 Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yes towing would have been my first option! But I didn't have a rope here unfortunately.
The reason the car was so hung up was because it was at the end of the driveway where the plow had allready made a bank.
It was very fluffy light snow, so I think that helped with not breaking anything.

It's my fault tho, I should have left the car on the road and plowed the driveway before trying to get in.

As far as traction goes, it's a 95 jeep yj and the only thing I use it for is plowing, so it's set up pretty good.
Hydraulic controlled plow.
5" suspension lift
31" studded tires
Chains on back tires
400lbs of sand bags in the back!
Both front and rear differentials welded posi..
It was a body off build and I plated the entire frame with 3/16" flat stock.
Until I added the chains and welded the front diff I'd did fish tail a bit like you were talking about. But now it works awesome! Haven't had it stuck in 3 winters! Been plowing with it since 2007..
My plow is also in quite close to the jeep which helps.

2007 Altima 2.5S
OEM spoiler
Rust proofed
aluminum kick plates
Two baby seats
#4 Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 PM

Living in Az, I have no clue what it feels like be snowed in,not going to work because it's snowing...but I know what if feels like it being 120-125 degrees!
#5 Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakelda View Post
Living in Az, I have no clue what it feels like be snowed in,not going to work because it's snowing...but I know what if feels like it being 120-125 degrees!
Yes winter is a bitch sometimes! I don't mind being snowed in and unable to go to work!
But after working 12hrs and being snowed in and stuck at work really blows!!

I'm a paramedic, and technically we have to go no matter what "within reason"
I've taken my skidoo to work, right up the main rd in a storm... Lol
I guess that's how you know you are Canadian!! Eh?
Lol I'll just wait for the remarks on that one

2007 Altima 2.5S
OEM spoiler
Rust proofed
aluminum kick plates
Two baby seats
#6 Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 PM
June '12 NOTM winner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice! I want a jeep so bad :/

-=>>Black Nissan Alti. 3.5SE <<=-
My Quad Retrofit!
#7 Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 PM

I live in Mississauga and we got two snow storms recently. The roads were not plowed yet and I had to go to work. I was scared but my 2.5s made it WITHOUT any problem -Sadly came across several cars stuck in the snow. Some people might complain that it's a bad car in the snow but if someone drives carefully then you are good to reach safely...
#8 Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Altima 2.5S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad7371 View Post
I live in Mississauga and we got two snow storms recently. The roads were not plowed yet and I had to go to work. I was scared but my 2.5s made it WITHOUT any problem -Sadly came across several cars stuck in the snow. Some people might complain that it's a bad car in the snow but if someone drives carefully then you are good to reach safely...
My thoughts exactly, I live in Durham and the has been pretty bad on those two occasions, my car made it with some effort.

2008 Altima Super Black 2.5S CVT -- OEM Rear Spoiler -- Batmobile Eyelids -- Complete White LED Swap -- Black Painted Grille -- Debadged -- OEM Leather Shift Knob -- OEM Fog Lights -- 40%Tint -- Custom Amber Night Footwells w/ Switch -- BT LED Trunk Light
#9 Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Nismo Edition

sorry guys to hear all that, i dont really know what is to be driving on snow or be in 120+ degrees, Im in SoCal and weather is almost perfect everyday (not hot, not cold) its sunny almost everyday today is 80 degrees

Last edited by ismaelz; 03-01-2013 at 09:50 PM.
#10 Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 AM
In Soviet Canuckistan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got snowed in earlier this year, but not as dramatic as you guys get out in the east coast.

Although last week Monday, when we had blowing snow, the roads were complete shit being unplowed, and ended up having snow collected deep into the front wheel wells and into where the suspension connecting rods are into the chassis and hard points. The snow and ice would build up, causing the NVH from the engine being amplified tremendously. The only way to get rid of it was to go to a car wash and either manually remove it with the spray nozzle blasting warm water (provided that you turn the wheels left and right on each side), or go to an automatic car wash where they wash underneath the car altogether. It's best that way anyways because all that sand and salt buildup underneath can rust the shit out of your car over time, a lot faster than in places where it has little or no rain/snow.

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Super Black
Semi-bare bone stock!!

Mod Wish list:
Nismo Aero Kit
K&N Air Intake mod
Stillen Cat-back Exhaust

Installed:
OEM Fog Lamps
OEM 18" x 7.5" Altima Coupe Alloy Wheels
Racingline Strut Tower Brace
#11 Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeep View Post
I got snowed in earlier this year, but not as dramatic as you guys get out in the east coast.

Although last week Monday, when we had blowing snow, the roads were complete shit being unplowed, and ended up having snow collected deep into the front wheel wells and into where the suspension connecting rods are into the chassis and hard points. The snow and ice would build up, causing the NVH from the engine being amplified tremendously. The only way to get rid of it was to go to a car wash and either manually remove it with the spray nozzle blasting warm water (provided that you turn the wheels left and right on each side), or go to an automatic car wash where they wash underneath the car altogether. It's best that way anyways because all that sand and salt buildup underneath can rust the shit out of your car over time, a lot faster than in places where it has little or no rain/snow.
Yep! Rust is not cool. I undercoat/rustproof my Altima every spring and fall..
Inside the doors, complete underside, under the carpet in the trunk and under th
Carpet inside the car. Etc...
Zero rust so far, but it is a bit of a battle. But I'm getting quite a layer or drip less undercoating built up. So it should be good for a while.

2007 Altima 2.5S
OEM spoiler
Rust proofed
aluminum kick plates
Two baby seats
#12 Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I m not scared of snow , I m more scared of some people tailgating you in snow storms & stick to their freakin phone in snow storms thinking they know what they re doing .

Same thing here concerning rust proofing .

05 A/T SE R Altima . eBay Grill / Matt Black Mid bumper . EBC Ft RedStuff Pads/EBCrotors , Rear 06 350Z Cal & EBC Rotors , Total/Fram Filter , RP MaxATF , Motul Brake Fluids , Mobil PSF . Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S Plus
#13 Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japedo View Post
Yep! Rust is not cool. I undercoat/rustproof my Altima every spring and fall..
Inside the doors, complete underside, under the carpet in the trunk and under th
Carpet inside the car. Etc...
Zero rust so far, but it is a bit of a battle. But I'm getting quite a layer or drip less undercoating built up. So it should be good for a while.
What products do you use?

2009 Altima 2.5 S
39k Miles
#14 Old 03-09-2013, 05:18 PM

(Thread Starter)
I use "dominion sure seal drip less undercoating"
Buy it by the 5 gallon jug, and spray it on.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/$T2eC16N,!w0E9szN(m1WBQZ+SNBIV!~~48_2.JPG

2007 Altima 2.5S
OEM spoiler
Rust proofed
aluminum kick plates
Two baby seats

Last edited by japedo; 03-09-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode