Navigation System Map Update 2013 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 PM

Navigation System Map Update 2013

Nissan is "encouraging" me to update the maps in my 2010 Altima navigation system. It appears this update consists of five (5) DVD's (potentially more than 20GB of material). Cost currently quoted on NAVTEQ and Nissan is $179.

1. Has anyone purchased and installed this update?
2. Does it include any updated firmware?
3. Is it anything more than updated maps and POI's?
4. What the heck could take 5 DVD's (most non HDD systems use a single DVD for their maps)?
5. Any problems with the install?
6. Is it worth it?

Thanks, Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbarrister View Post
Nissan is "encouraging" me to update the maps in my 2010 Altima navigation system. It appears this update consists of five (5) DVD's (potentially more than 20GB of material). Cost currently quoted on NAVTEQ and Nissan is $179.

1. Has anyone purchased and installed this update?
2. Does it include any updated firmware?
3. Is it anything more than updated maps and POI's?
4. What the heck could take 5 DVD's (most non HDD systems use a single DVD for their maps)?
5. Any problems with the install?
6. Is it worth it?

Thanks, Bill
And don't forget, you'll need to pay the dealership to install the update. Typically 1 hour @ the shops labor rate .

I know , I know , It does not seem right but that's the way it is.

I'd use the $$ to buy a Garmin Nuvi .
It's much easier to use.
Updates are free for life.
Customer support is excellent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissan-MasterTech For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 AM

For info -- 2013 navigation uses a SD Card - not cd's

Note concerning updates for the 2013 model Altima for anyone that may concerned about later models.

The navigation system uses a SD card (Secure Digital card) (not cd's). The card is inserted into the front top right of the module.

Updates cost (probably not cheap) -- but at least it is not on 5 cd's.

I do not know what the 2011 and 2012 Altima navigation system uses.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan-MasterTech View Post
And don't forget, you'll need to pay the dealership to install the update. Typically 1 hour @ the shops labor rate .

I know , I know , It does not seem right but that's the way it is.

I'd use the $$ to buy a Garmin Nuvi .
It's much easier to use.
Updates are free for life.
Customer support is excellent.
Not correct! You simply install the DVDs yourself swapping them out as needed. Takes a couple of hours so just check back in every 20 minutes or so. There is no need whatsoever to go to the dealership.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 PM

El_Bajo, it sounds like you have done the upgrade. Is it just updated maps or are there firmware/software changes as well? Does it upgrade any of the associated systems that seem to be part of the navigation package such as the music systems, phone systems and the like? I still can't figure out what would take 5 DVD's unless there is more to it than just changing out the maps themselves.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbarrister View Post
El_Bajo, it sounds like you have done the upgrade. Is it just updated maps or are there firmware/software changes as well? Does it upgrade any of the associated systems that seem to be part of the navigation package such as the music systems, phone systems and the like? I still can't figure out what would take 5 DVD's unless there is more to it than just changing out the maps themselves.
Actually, I did it last year when the phone people mistakenly were told that the update worked on the Altima. So, I installed the map discs (four of them), but the fifth one (the firmware update) could not be read. As a result, I had a non-working GPS (new maps did not work with old firmware) and, in the end, Nissan had to replace the whole unit under warranty. Navteq contacted me a couple of weeks later to tell me not to install it (duh) and refunded my money when they noted that there had been an error on their side.

I just saw the new update was available so I sent a letter to Navteq to see if they would work with me given the issues they caused last year (multiple dealershp visits, couple of months with no working GPS, etc.). I could see that the maps and POIs were greatly updated as they reflected all of the very recent construction in my area (but couldn't do anything else with it), but cannot comment on functional improvements (such as the graphics, song title database, etc. for example) as I was never able to get that disc to install. So, yes, it does install new firmware, but I cannot comment on what new/improved features that firmware has. You might want to check on another board to see what the 2012 firmware did for the Maxima for example as they use the same X9 maps.

The main annoying thing was that it required the engine to be on for the duration so you burn about 1/8 of a tank of gas installing it since it takes a couple of hours. But, the process was as simple as installing the disc in the DVD slot and swapping it out as each disc was completed.

I'm definitely looking forward to updating the maps finally and hope Navteq does the right thing so that I can.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_bajo View Post
Actually, I did it last year when the phone people mistakenly were told that the update worked on the Altima. So, I installed the map discs (four of them), but the fifth one (the firmware update) could not be read. As a result, I had a non-working GPS (new maps did not work with old firmware) and, in the end, Nissan had to replace the whole unit under warranty. Navteq contacted me a couple of weeks later to tell me not to install it (duh) and refunded my money when they noted that there had been an error on their side.

I just saw the new update was available so I sent a letter to Navteq to see if they would work with me given the issues they caused last year (multiple dealershp visits, couple of months with no working GPS, etc.). I could see that the maps and POIs were greatly updated as they reflected all of the very recent construction in my area (but couldn't do anything else with it), but cannot comment on functional improvements (such as the graphics, song title database, etc. for example) as I was never able to get that disc to install. So, yes, it does install new firmware, but I cannot comment on what new/improved features that firmware has. You might want to check on another board to see what the 2012 firmware did for the Maxima for example as they use the same X9 maps.

The main annoying thing was that it required the engine to be on for the duration so you burn about 1/8 of a tank of gas installing it since it takes a couple of hours. But, the process was as simple as installing the disc in the DVD slot and swapping it out as each disc was completed.

I'm definitely looking forward to updating the maps finally and hope Navteq does the right thing so that I can.
Grrr... such a PITA process, I got older system and it only requires 1 dvd ~8GB, of course it only changes the map and POIs, doesn't affect the software and firmware, but I used it in couple road trip (2000 miles in total) and very pleased with it. I got google map on my phone as a back up but never have to used.
Don't know how fancy the new hardware-based system is but use 5 single layer DVDs is very a dumb way to update something nowsaday, should be 2 double layer DVDs or make an digital download then we can transfer it to the car via USB or other devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.