The Nissan Club banner

Auxiliary CVT Transmission most similar to the Nissan factory version

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Boland01 
#1 ·
I'll make this as short as possible. I own a 2008 Altima 2.5S that I've taken great care of over the last 7 and a half years. 2 years ago at about 106,000 mi the tranny went out. Towed it to the dealership and they replaced it with a factory refurbished one for free (120,000 warranty). A little over a year later while driving through the desert, it starts losing power and steaming. I figured I overheated and my thermostat is stuck since the temp gauge showed normal and half the oil burned out. Did a coolant flush and oil change when I got back. Ran fine for 3 months until it happened again. Took it to a shop where they told me that the code is for a tranny problem. Take it to a dealership. The warranty on the refurbished tranny is 1 year/10,000 mi. I am past both. They tell me I need to pay for diagnostics and to submit a claim with Nissan North America. $300 later, they tell me the tranny is fine. Suggests a tranny flush. $300 more. I go with it. My claim gets denied. So far I am $600 down. 2 days later it starts steaming again. I take it back to the dealership. They said the tranny is overheating, but structurally fine. Give me 2 options: new tranny or aux cooler for which there is a 5 month wait and $1100 price tag. I asked if they could install one that I bring. The guy said yes. I bought this: Transmission Coolers for 2008 Nissan Altima - Derale D13502 and took it to the dealership. The tech said that this is not a good idea because it might leak and suggested the Nissan one. I am a little suspicious of this. He suggested finding a cooler that is closest to the Nissan kind. I searched but could not get an answer anywhere. Can anyone suggest a good auxiliary tranny cooler? Or at least tell me that the one I have is good or bad?

See less See more
#2 ·
I put an auxiliary transmission cooler on my 2.5L years ago when it when into safe mode a couple of times (overheating- South Texas summer weatheri). It only cost about $40 off of ebay. I put it in line from the built in cooler below the radiator and then routed it back to the return port to the CVT.

I never had any leaks or issues. More importantly it has NEVER gone into safe mode since. I've also changed the NS2 twice. The car now has around 119K miles on it and runs and drives great. I gave it to my teenage son a year or so ago and even he hasn't been able keep it from being reliable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.