The Nissan Club banner

Leaving smart key inside "safely"

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  d0ugmac1 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just bought my 2012 Altima Sedan, and it's my first car with a smart key. I'm wondering how I can somewhat safely lock the smart key within the car. During the summer I'll occasionally head out to the lake for a swim, which isn't too welcoming to the electronics. During my brief test, if I lock the door with the physical key, the door doesn't open by pushing the handle button. But I don't know if that means it won't open at a later time, or if it is safely locked till I come back and open with the key. I noticed the light on the dash blinking showing the key was inside, so makes me a little nervous.

I see this pouch: RA Mayes | RF Shielded Container for Proximity Keyless Entry FOB - Store your spare FOB in your car but I don't know if it's necessary for my needs.

#2 ·
I assume you're taking the 'emergency' physical key with you...if so, a small metal box, or a sheet of tinfoil wrapped around the FOB (smartkey/remote) should be enough to trick the security system. You can also lock them under the hood in a pinch.

#6 ·
Yep...anything that attenuates radio waves will do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.