The Nissan Club banner

Do I need 2 change harness swapping CVT 2 manual tranny's

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  d0ugmac1 
#1 ·
Do I need to change my harness swapping my transmission? I have the back engine mount with bracket, clutch pedal, master cylinder, ECU, the tranny with all accessories, flywheel-clutch, clutch pippings, gear control and cable assy. Can somebody tell me what else I need because I'm about to throw in the tranny this Columbus day weekend. Any tips would really be greatfull.

#2 ·
The Gen3 tranny swap thread showed he needed a new cluster gauge to work with the 6MT.

Seems that is still the case--one variant for MT one for AT, at least for my 2009, Courtesy of TASCAs website:

No. Part # Description List Price Price

1 24810-JA03A CLUSTER ASSY
SEDAN, 3.5 LITER, MANUAL TRANS, W/ABS
$458.24 $340.93

1 24810-JA02A CLUSTER ASSY
SEDAN, 3.5 LITER, AUTO TRANS, W/ABS
$458.92 $341.44

1 24810-JA02A INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
ALTIMA; 3.5L; AUTO TRANS; W/VDC
$458.92 $341.44

1 24810-JA03A INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
ALTIMA; 3.5L; MANUAL TRANS; W/VDC
$458.24 $340.93

Every other swap thread I've read talks about changing the harness...so I'm going to say 'probably' you need that too.

#3 · (Edited)
I greatly appreciate your info, I should have been more specific. I have a 2.5 sedan. My mechanic was telling me that we can get away with not in putting a new ECU and harness. It didn't sound rite to me I purchased the ECU anyway and It raised a flag about him and decided to go with a transmission place instead of a mechanic. thanks for the info.

#5 ·
Again from tascaparts.com....the 2.5 gauges are different. At least you now have a part number to hunt down....

1 24810-JA01A CLUSTER ASSY
SEDAN, 2.5 LITER, MANUAL TRANS, W/ABS
$456.84 $339.89

1 24810-JA00A CLUSTER ASSY
SEDAN, 2.5 LITER, AUTO TRANS, W/ABS
$439.53 $327.01

1 24810-JA00A INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
ALTIMA; 2.5L; AUTO TRANS; W/ABS
$439.53 $327.01

1 24810-JA01A INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
ALTIMA; 2.5L; MANUAL TRANS; W/ABS
$456.84 $339.89

#6 · (Edited)
thank you very much. I got the part 24810-JA01A INSTRUMENT CLUSTER 2.5 MANUAL TRANS, USED OEM. and I see in the pictures that it comes with the wiring. Is that the CLUSTER ASSY? Or is the CLUSTER ASSY the harness for the main engine? If not can you send that info to. I really appreciate the info. thanks. Trying to install tranny and have the car finished before it statrs to drop 40 degrees Fahrenheit.Thanks again

#7 ·
thank you very much. I got the part 24810-JA01A INSTRUMENT CLUSTER 2.5 MANUAL TRANS, USED OEM. and I see in the pictures that it comes with the wiring. Is that the CLUSTER ASSY? Or is the CLUSTER ASSY the harness for the main engine? If not can you send that info to. I really appreciate the info. thanks. Trying to install tranny and have the car finished before it starts to drop 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Thanks again

Last edited by jguzman69; Today at 11:33 PM.

#8 ·
The 'Cluster Assemby' is the speedo/tach gauge combo above the steering column. Not knowing what you found to buy I cannot comment on what wire/wiring comes with it...my experience, it's whatever the hatchet man cut out along with the gauges because the connectors are too hard to unclip.

#11 ·
No idea. I'm 99% sure the clusters are almost identical, the difference is in how the speed/rpm info is delivered and deciphered by the local computer. Since there is no transmission controller in a manual to pre-encode speed info and send it over the serial bus, they use a simple encoder gear to send pulses which are then converted into speed directly in the Cluster Assy. IN both auto/manual the ECU knows what the engine RPMs are so the tach info (RPM) should still be delivered over the CAN bus (two wire serial interface). You may have to fiddle the wiring (by which I mean maybe add a length of wire) from whatever harness/connector the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the tranny has to get it to the appropriate pin # on the cluster gauge connector. The FSM is your friend here - pin #s , connector locations, etc.!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.