dashcams-discussion-how to hardwire into rearview mirror or front dome/map lights - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 06-26-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question dashcams-discussion-how to hardwire into rearview mirror or front dome/map lights

I would like to install a dash camera.
I do not want to run wires all over.
I was thinking if there is a way to tap into the powered rearview mirror.
Or tap into the front map lights.

Any ideas?
What dash camera are you guys using?
I prefer to have a front and rear camera system plus one that can record in park mode for motion and activated from a bump.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-29-2016, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wow! Nobody here uses dash cams?
post #3 of 19 Old 06-29-2016, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The mirror hardwire might be easier from what I have seen but it is limited imo. You'd be amazed at what your camera captures while you're at work/ in a store. I have a dash cam wired to my fuse box with an add a fuse and use a rocker switch to turn it on and off. Sometimes I leave it on all night. This gives me the option of recording or killing the feed whenever I want. If you wire to the mirror you might not be able to record in park mode. Let me know which route you want to take and I might be able to assist you.

Last edited by rbalti; 06-29-2016 at 05:38 AM.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-29-2016, 05:24 AM

Also, for dash cams you really need to set a budget because the prices are all over the place on these things. For forward facing cameras the best cheap camera is the g1wc. When you say that you want forward and rear facing do you want that all in one unit or are you prepared to install two cameras?

Last edited by rbalti; 06-29-2016 at 05:26 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-29-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalti View Post
The mirror hardwire might be easier from what I have seen but it is limited imo. You'd be amazed at what your camera captures while you're at work/ in a store. I have a dash cam wired to my fuse box with an add a fuse and use a rocker switch to turn it on and off. Sometimes I leave it on all night. This gives me the option of recording or killing the feed whenever I want. If you wire to the mirror you might not be able to record in park mode. Let me know which route you want to take and I might be able to assist you.
Hey,
Can you post some pics of your setup e.g. fuse box, switch etc...
Where did you run the wires?
What fuse did you tap into?
thx
post #6 of 19 Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalti View Post
Also, for dash cams you really need to set a budget because the prices are all over the place on these things. For forward facing cameras the best cheap camera is the g1wc. When you say that you want forward and rear facing do you want that all in one unit or are you prepared to install two cameras?
Someone suggested this setup, decent price.
I just feel I prefer to have a screen on the camera so I can see it is working.

What do you guys think of this model?

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...finevu-t9-dual
post #7 of 19 Old 06-30-2016, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Dash camera's can be hit and miss sometimes, Rear facing camera's have had a lot of stigma to them because of the lower video quality, And as others have stated your budget really dictates the product you want. Based on wanting to be able to see if your camera is working this is the one I can find with a nice picture quality, and sticks to the features you want, and wiring your dash camera into your battery properly will allow the camera to always record as the camera's battery will only last so long. You'd have to buy two I suppose.

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Edge-3-Inch...ords=Z+edge+Z3

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

Last edited by XxSwiftyxX; 06-30-2016 at 07:47 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-30-2016, 12:21 PM
MRR
2010 2.5 SL

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.5-SR View Post
Wow! Nobody here uses dash cams?
Many people use them. I've just never heard of anyone trying to wire one in with your specifications.

My front facing camera is mounted by my rear-view mirror. Wires go;
1) up the shroud of the mirror wires
2) along the headliner of the windshield
3) down the driver's side pillar
4) to a voltage reducer*
5) to an add-a-fuse

No wires are visible and the install took only 30 minutes. Troubleshooting the water issue because I pulled out the moonroof drain hose took much longer.

* My camera takes 5 volts, like most that I have seen. AFAIK, it isn't even possible to stealthily install a reducer and still tap into the mirror power.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-30-2016, 04:18 PM
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
^ My setup is essentially the same as MRR's, the only difference is the 12 to 5 V reducer in my case is near the camera. It's still tucked into the headliner, I don't see it. It's about the size of a typical USB flashdrive.

I tapped into the fuse that protects the front 12V power socket.

For dual channel camera setups the really good ones seem to be rather on the expensive side. One could always simply install 2 separate cameras, the thing with that is you will need a bit more room for the add-a-fuses, and to run the cable from the rear camera along the edges might require a longer cable.

Cameras that have good parking mode are usually more expensive, and there has to been some sort of battery voltage monitoring, so that once battery voltage reaches some threshold, the camera is turned off to prevent draining.

For a while I was thinking an idea to power the camera when parked would be to use one of those external batteries that you can use to recharge mobile phones (with USB cable output). I think it would work, but it would be a PITA as you would need to switch back and forth between the hard-wired cable and a cable to the battery, need to recharge the external battery every so often, and probably need a bigger storage card.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-01-2016, 03:57 AM

Here are some pictures of my setup which is very similar to what others have posted. The wire runs down the pillar to a 12v to 5v adapter, then it goes to the fuse box. Remember, you only need a 2 or 3 amp fuse for the cameras to go along with the 10amp on the add a fuse.

Fuse panel with some add a fuses

Rocker switch

Camera

post #11 of 19 Old 07-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Years ago I went to a local car audio shop to have my dash cam hard wired. I think they charged something like $25.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-08-2016, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Must be 20 years ago a guy in AA felt it wouldn't be long before cops started parking cars with cameras and VCRs to capture images of everyone who enter the AA meet - this because after HIV in the 1980's, addicts started attending AA. The post of dashcam captures while parked shopping brought that to mind.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-09-2016, 12:21 PM
04-05 Pedal Insert

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiP View Post
Years ago I went to a local car audio shop to have my dash cam hard wired. I think they charged something like $25.
For 25 bucks, I dont think I would even try to do it myself..

*Bumper Plugs
Garage:
* 91 MR2 31K miles 4 Sale
*12 3.5 SR w/Tractor Transmission
*12 Quest SL
post #14 of 19 Old 05-10-2017, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Help With Running Dash Cam Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRR View Post
Many people use them. I've just never heard of anyone trying to wire one in with your specifications.

My front facing camera is mounted by my rear-view mirror. Wires go;
1) up the shroud of the mirror wires
2) along the headliner of the windshield
3) down the driver's side pillar
4) to a voltage reducer*
5) to an add-a-fuse

No wires are visible and the install took only 30 minutes. Troubleshooting the water issue because I pulled out the moonroof drain hose took much longer.

* My camera takes 5 volts, like most that I have seen. AFAIK, it isn't even possible to stealthily install a reducer and still tap into the mirror power.
I have a 2012 Altima 2.5 SL. I just received my dash cam in the mail today (BlackVue DR650S-2CH). I'm excited to get it installed, but unsure about running the wires for both the front and back cameras. I'm not sure how easy it would be to "loosen" the front driver's side pillar. If I get that loose, where do you take the wires into the fuse box area? There is an "end cap" on the dash which I think just prys off (with patience). Is there an opening/pathway into the below-dash area through that end cap or is there an easier way?

On top of that, I need to run the coax back to the rear camera location as well. I'm thinking of running it along the headliner, but again, if there's a better way, I'd really appreciate any guidance. All in all, I'm looking forward to having it installed, but the process seems a bit daunting at the moment.

Thanks guys!
Dave
post #15 of 19 Old 05-10-2017, 01:16 PM
MRR
2010 2.5 SL

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
The pillar cover for my car was very annoying and didn't come loose until I applied enough force that I thought I would break it. Pick a warm day so the plastic is less likely to crack.

After you run along the pillar, they will simply be there. I took the lower shroud off while doing this and I expect you will need to as well.

I suggest running the coax along the passenger side, under the doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode