The Nissan Club banner

CVT flush-New information from dealer

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Throckmorton 
#1 ·
My '09 CVT has done the CVT whine thing on a number of occasions during hot days but never gone into fail safe mode.
I have even demonstrated this to the dealer. Car is on 98k miles so still under warranty but Nissan USA refuse to authorize installation of a cooler or replace the CVT until it actually shuts down.
I am sure every time the CVT whines it's shortening the lifespan of the CVT to the extent that it will eventually fail and Nissan a probably hoping t will be after 120k so that it becomes my problem.
The dealer today said I should open a case with USA again and to try and get a rep. to drive with me.

I discussed replacing the CVT fluid. He said that they charge about $260 and that includes only 5 quarts and that they drop the CVT bottom pan and then top up. I asked why they don't follow the FSM that states to drain from the CVT cooler outlet hose (apparently it's not really a cooler buy a heat exchanger) and they said that Nissan USA said they must use the pan drop method.
When I said that this method only drains about half the old fluid, they said yes, they would have to do this twice (ie. you have to pay twice) to do a more complete fluid change. This really makes no sense. If the fluid is old and bad then a partial change will just get the new fluid contaminated by the remaining old fluid.

Anyway, the consult reading on the fluid said that despite the fact that it's nearly 100k old that it's still good. If the CVT is going to be replaced then the fluid will be changed anyway. The plan of action therefore is to see if the CVT will fail in the remaining 20k of warranty and if it does not then do a fluid change then.

See less See more
#2 ·
Following this with interest.

What internal to the CVT did the rep say was causing the whine?

Can you elaborate more on what the "consult reading on the CVT oil" was? What was that actual process?

And, has your '09 had the clicking on acceleration/take-off from the driver's or pass's front axle ends where those bearing surfaces contact the hub bearing?

#3 ·
The dealer did not say specifically what was whining. Probably one of the belt pulley interfaces which lost a bit of lubrication as the fluid gets too hot. No doubt the fluid loses some of its lubricity as it ages.

Consult is Nissan's diagnostic tool. It reads a whole lot more than your standard OBDII scanner. They get a value for the deterioration of the CVT fluid based on many factors.
Even though mine is nearly 100k old, it still came back as good and when I look at a few drops of it on the dip sticks it's still nice and clean.

I have not experienced the clicking noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.