The Nissan Club banner

Altima 2.5S Tapping noise under load.

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  yourock 
#1 ·
Hello there!
I have a 2010 Altima with 58,500 miles on it. I am getting a tapping/pinging noise from engine. I tried to search the forum but didnot find anything. I went to dealership they said it is lose heatshield and they advised to remove it. So after getting that done the noise is still there. I bought it CPO in 2012 and have about 6 months of powertrain warranty left.

I have attached a sound clips of noise before the heatshield was removed.
https://soundcloud.com/user-420341856/voice-001
Looking forward to your response. Thanks.

#2 ·
Your clip was too muffled to tell for sure. Assuming it's not something clanking or clinking mechanically, or clicking like a valvetrain or timing chain noise, then the it is possible that you have 'pre-detonation' going on...which is bad for the engine. You say it only happens under load...this would be consistent with 'pinging' or 'predetonation'. It's cause by the air/fuel mixture exploding rather than burning smoothly. If your engine isn't throwing any codes then my suggestions would be to check for vacuum leaks, dirty air filter, dirty MAF, crap gas in the tank (try filling at least 1/2 the tank with premium and see if it goes away/reduces).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.