Car stutters at red light (2.5SL with 160k) - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-17-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Car stutters at red light (2.5SL with 160k)

This doesn't happen at every red light but happens a few times during my 30 minute commute. At the red light (especially when exiting the freeway offramp and stopping at a red light) the RPM will drop to near shutting off and then kick back up.

The car has 160K and I've done all maintenance as per recommended. Plugs were changed at 105k with OEM plugs. I checked the codes and the ECU is not putting anything out.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-17-2017, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
post #3 of 3 Old 06-18-2017, 11:48 AM
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
It could be the primary O2 sensor is going bad. I experienced this on another car (older Civic). Never got a code, but would experience near-total loss of power when trying to move off from red light. It felt like I took my foot off the gas pedal. Had to be really careful with left turns, had to leave plenty of space and not expect the power to be there. It happened intermittently at first, then more and more regularly.

I did realize eventually that it wasn't happening during the first couple of minutes when the O2 sensor readings aren't being used by the computer because the sensor isn't up to temp yet. I also disconnected the connector to the O2 sensor and drove around like that for a few days. The computer uses preprogrammed fuel map so it runs rougher overall, but I no longer had the power loss when moving off from standstill. Replaced the sensor and good ever since. But as I said, never got a code for it.

With the kind of mileage you have it's a good possibility especially if you know it hasn't been replaced before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode