The Nissan Club banner

Warning!!! Master cylinder problem(must read)

97K views 217 replies 76 participants last post by  wannarunem 
#1 ·
Today I went to the dealership to get my altima fix because the brake light has been comming on for awhile. At first I thought topping off the brake fluid will fix the problem but I decided to go to the dealership just to be on the safe side. The problem I have is that my master cylinder is leaking pretty bad and the service guy told me that there recently have been numerous of cases about master cylinder leaking and I am not the only one with the problem. So please be advise, if your brake light starts going on bring it to the dealer to get it check. For now.... I have to go home without my car since they say it's too dangerous to let me drive her.

#2 ·
That's what happened to my previous car. Brake light came on, I thought ok low brake fluid, i need to replace brake pads, I can wait. After a week or so while driving my brakes "gave out" could not stop effectively. Went to the body shop and he said need to replace master cylinder :( and brakes. Now if anything comes up on my dashboard, i bust our the manual and see whats up.

#11 ·
I also had this problem with my 2007 Altima 3.5 SL. The VDC OFF, TCS and Brake lights kept coming on, especially in cold weather.

I took it to the dealer and they had to replace the master cylinder due to a leak. When the fluid was cold, it would trigger the warning lights on the dash. As the car and the weather warmed up, the lights would disappear, only to come back when the car and weather cooled down.

I did not realize it was a widespread problem, but if you see these lights come on and off, you need to get your car serviced asap.

I was lucky; I had only 35200 miles on so everything was covered under warranty.

#12 ·
I have 62k miles, brought the car in for the 60k blue service and changed the brakes. Service Tech mentioned the master cylinder is leaking as well. The only service I've ever did was oil changes every 4.5k miles.

When is a good time to replace the brake pads, before a leakage in the master cylinder occurs?

#13 ·
hmm think i may, MAY have something going on brake related...im sure theyd check but would nissan service a car that has AM rotors, pads? i mean the MC has nothing to do with the rotors or pads and the entire electrical and mechanical part of the braking system is untouched...

i was coming to a stop the other day behind a car and my car jerked and felt like it had no brakes for a couple seconds. almost like the ABS was kicking in but the pedal wasnt pulsing. happened 3 times but hasnt since

glad this came up...did they say anything about a TSB or recall?

#21 ·
revive the thread....

last thursday, some prick driving a BMW (redundant, I know) cut me off and I had to brake hard and after that, my BRAKE, ABS, TRACTION CONTROL, and VDC lights all came on and stayed on. I need to get this checked at the dealership tomorrow, hope they can fix it quickly.

#23 ·
WTH!?!!?!?! My brake and VDC OFF lights were randomly coming on last year and I took it to the dealership and they said it was just low fluid and they topped it off. Now my damn warranty is up!!!! WTF!?!!? How much is it to get the MC replaced, or would it be possible to haggle with them knowing the fact that I came in for it and they diagnosed it wrong?

UGH!!!! I even caught the lights coming on on video in case they pulled that "Couldn't replicate" crap!!!! FML!!!

#24 ·
they will probably say it was broken after they fixed the other thing.

I guess my problem was a communication error between the engine and brake system computer. they reset the codes and reattached all of the connections and told me to come back if they came back on.

the DTC error codes I got were C1343, U0129

#25 ·
Thats the thing, they didn't fix anything, they just topped the fluid off. If I have to I will print this thread out as proof that it is a common problem.

But the lights haven't come back on since, so this is still all preliminary. It may have been just low fluid in my case, but if they[lights] come back on I will definitely try and dispute it, although Im sure Im gonna loose and end up having to pay for it.

#27 · (Edited)
Thats exactly how I feel, especially guys reporting their brakes giving out slightly before catching. That is recall worthy, not TSB, and enough to cause a BAD ACCIDENT!!!! I want to take mine in, but the lights aren't on at this point in time but I have a feeling that they will when it gets cold again. But thats a very longtime here in Houston. I wonder if we could rally up at least 20 guys here to go in and demand this be fixed and paid for by Nissan all at the same time, what would they do. We have guys here from each coast I think it would be enough to get their attention.

But if my lights come back on, I am definitely taking it back in even though I am over 50k. It should have been fixed CORRECTLY when I took it in when I had my warranty, not just topped off fluid!! I already have this thread bookmarked because I WILL print it out to show them.

#28 ·
I'm so glad I found this thread. I noticed my brake light going off every once in a while, but didn't think nothing of it. I thought maybe it was my boyfriends fault cause he's been driving my car alot recently and he always uses the parking brake so I thought maybe he messed it up. I thought that is what the indicator was for. Didn't know it had to do with brake fluid levels as well and now possibly the master cylinder. I had him check my brake fluid last night and that's all good, so I made an appointment to take my car to the dealership on Monday. I'll keep you guys posted as to what the issue is.

#29 ·
So this thread pops up and not even 2 days later my brake light starts coming on/off just like you guys are saying. Checked the brakes and the brakes seem to have plenty of life left on them. Popped the hood to look at the fluid level and its about 1/4 above the Min line, lower then half. I have noticed that it's mostly happening when I'm accelerating or on a steep hill combo so maybe my fluid is just low enough that it's moving in the cylinder but I really hope it's not a leaky MC. I have 100 miles over 38k and would be pissed if they told me I needed to shell out $445 to replace it.

#30 ·
Update:

I took my car to the dealership on Monday. They said it was because of my fluid being low. It wasn't at the minimum line, but it wasn't full either. They said my front brakes will need to be replaced soon as well. They are at 3 1/2 and they said they should be replaced at 3. So for me, it was not the master cylinder. Guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

#31 ·
That was exactly what I was thinking with my car, I do have 38k so front brakes could be needing replacement soon. I tried looking around my rims, maybe I just didn't get a good look. Will be checking it out better later.

#32 ·
Ahhhh shit :/...ive been ignoring my Brake light for a few weeks now since its been going on and off. I just hit the 60k mark so its time to visit the stealership for the scheduled maintence anyway, I guess ill try to head out there this weekend :(, in the meantime Ill check my fluids too

#41 ·
So can someone post a pic of a master cylinder for those of us who are mechanically challenged?
I'm assuming "get your mc checked" means nothing more then visual inspection for any fluids on/around it, right???

I just hate dealerships and really avoid going there as much as i can. Not only u hear lots of bs and excuses from them you also waste a lot of time since none of them can ever check your car on the spot, there's always appointments needed, and when u do come in at 5:45 for your 6pm appointment they only take your car in at 8pm to tell you around 9pm they'll get to it only in the morning. GGGRRRRR!!!!!

#42 ·
Sorry I don't have my car this second, but its the unit that holds your brake fluid. It's everything from the cap down to where it feeds into the lines.

#43 ·
^^^ thanx.

"check mc" still apllies thou, right? - simple visual inspection?

I had my brake light coming on a few months ago but that was dues to pads. Replaced all 4 pads and rotors - no more light.
Then 2 days ago i'm starting to see that light again. Brake fluid was just a bit above MIN line so i filled it up and lights is gone.

As of now both "light" events seem to be normal but better safe then sorry.
I'm 60K miles btw so i quess no warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.