undercoating - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
undercoating

I recently purchased a 3.5 sr, it should arrive some time this month. The dealer offered me undercoating for $450.

From what I see, shops offer it for around $100 and it lasts 2 years.

what the dealer is saying, if I go with them it will last 10 years.

What are your opinions? Can they put something on my car that will last 10 years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2010, 03:49 PM
LOL AWD

Waste of money. The car is undercoated with corrosion protection from the factory. Did the dealer also offer to install headlights and windows on it?

My snail eats rice

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo
#3 Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Dave Matthews Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
Waste of money. The car is undercoated with corrosion protection from the factory. Did the dealer also offer to install headlights and windows on it?

I had blinker fluid put into mine to fix the hyperflash

18 x 8 350z wheels on 225/45R18 Yokohama YK520's -Eibach Pro-Kit -Magnaflow mufflers/no resonator -15% tint -S2 Grille -Momo shift knob -Injen CAI -12" Orion sub - NWP Vias Blockoff - V-LED Interior Swap - Bt2580 Footwell Lights - Bt2580 Under-hood Lights - Custom LED Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hpAltima View Post
Dont let me influence you when i say buy them. They are well worth the money. Trust me, im a Jew (i really am lol)
#4 Old 06-22-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozi3.5 View Post
I recently purchased a 3.5 sr, it should arrive some time this month. The dealer offered me undercoating for $450.

what the dealer is saying, if I go with them it will last 10 years.
Dude - we've never met, but if you ever trust a complete stranger in your life, let this be the time:

1) GO DOWN TO THE DEALERSHIP IMMEDIATELY AFTER READING THIS
2) FIND THE SALESMAN YOU DEALT W ON THE 'UNDERCOATING' ISSUE
3) KICK HIM AS HARD AS YOU CAN WHERE HIS GENITALS SHOULD BE
3a) DOCUMENT ITEM 3 WITH CELLPHONE PIC
4) GET ICE CREAM
5) SEND ME THE BILL
#5 Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 AM

lol^

Best undercoating IMO is Krown rust control, winters can be harsh here in Canada with all the salt, if you don't have Krown near you, any place that "oil sprays" will be ok, it is not that messy like some poeple claim, and yes it can seep from under the body onto body panels but just think...would you rather see rust or traces of oil that can be wiped up?... I know what my option is.

-'08 Altima Coupe 2.5 CVT
-Stillen front lip, Stillen rear spoiler, 6000k Migo VX2 HID's, Eibach springs, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors, G37 wheels
#6 Old 06-24-2010, 08:23 PM

(Thread Starter)
sounds good guys, Krown it is!

thanks
#7 Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
LOL AWD

Again, the car is treated with a layer of corrosion protection from factory. As long as said protection does not get scruffed off, salt etc is of no concern and underbody treatment is a waste unless you take your car off-road and need something stronger than OEM.
Our 95 Sentra has NO RUST on the underbody except on the parts that are not treated. This car has been in Minnesota and Nebraska all it's life.

My snail eats rice

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo
#8 Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 AM

I just had mine done by Krown. There are a lot of places on the underbody that have sharp edges, and paint generally doesn't form a good film on sharp edges. I can take an ohmmeter and slide it along an edge (e.g. along the edges of all the holes that they have in various places) and it's somewhat electrically conductive to the body. So if electrons can get to the metal, the salt water probably can, too. I figure an added layer of oil will be helpful for this.

One thing that the undercoating places do is drill holes for access. They have to use "something" on the holes when putting in the hole plugs (they don't paint the newly-drilled holes, no time for that). Krown (at least the one I went to in Niagara Falls) uses white lithium grease for this. So once these holes are drilled, I think you're kind of committed to having it resprayed each year so that the grease gets refreshed. I did also happen to talk to someone else in Rochester who takes their cars to Krown, and they've never had a problem with the holes rusting.

The rear wheel wells have a carpet-like material as a liner (like trunk carpeting - it doesn't really have any pile, and it's molded into shape). There are lots of other cars besides Altima that are doing this nowadays. When choosing where to have my rustproofing done, I asked the local Ziebart about this. They were unwilling to take the carpet liners off, and I wouldn't want them spraying their tar-like substance on the outside of the carpet, so no Ziebart for me (for this and other reasons). An oil spray like Krown shouldn't be a problem with this. Krown doesn't take the carpets off either. Ideally you want the oil behind the carpet. I'm not sure how much oil they actually got behind it on my car, but I think it's possible to get their sprayer behind the carpet if they go from underneath.

Finally, you might want to look on the underbody of your car near the rear support points, just in front of the rear wheels. A mirror and light will be good enough for taking a look there. Mine had places that looked like they didn't get paint; my best guess is that when the car body goes through the paint line at the factory, it's supported at 4 points, and afterward, they never went back and put paint on the rear two support points of my car. If yours has these bare spots, you might want to go to the dealer to have them painted before any undercoating. I just went ahead and primed/painted these myself.

I also have a posting about this in the other forum.
#9 Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 AM

its a personal decision . get the contract and read it in the wait time and see what the undercoating warranty offers and what your willing to pay. if its not in your realm the factory stuff should do but extra protection is good too. how long do you plan to keep the car and how much winter driving do you do? as far as kicking him in the nads and sending jonnyess the bill ..... jonny you might not want to right checks with your mouth your ass cant cash . assault and battery could cost you big in a civil court

my cars... the 73 all stock R/S Z28 and the 01 Z28.. and the 08 3.5 SL with every available option ...
#10 Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 AM
LOL AWD

Guys ... our 15 year old Nissan Sentra had minimal rust on the underbody after having been in the state of Minnesota almost it's entire life. Then again Nissan's QC has gone down since 1995.

My snail eats rice

#11 Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM

nice write up kscott.

yes even though the cars are "rust protected" at the factory, doesn't mean it will not rust at all, I guarantee a car that has been oil sprayed yearly will outlast a car that has not been coated. If you guys only keep your car for under 5 years...then yes it doesn't matter as much as someone who wants to keep their car for 10+ years.

-'08 Altima Coupe 2.5 CVT
-Stillen front lip, Stillen rear spoiler, 6000k Migo VX2 HID's, Eibach springs, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors, G37 wheels
#12 Old 07-13-2010, 02:13 PM
NISSAN NUT

Nissan Nut

SAVE YOUR MONEY. WORKED IN SALES FOR YEARS. THE GIRLS OR MEN WHO WORKED RUST AND DUST AS WE LIKED TO CALL IT SOLD UNDERCOATING TO THE UNINFORMED. MODERN CARS ALREADY HAVE UNDERCOAT. IF IN TEN YEARS YOU STILL HAVE CAR, GET IT THEN
#13 Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil281 View Post
SAVE YOUR MONEY. WORKED IN SALES FOR YEARS. THE GIRLS OR MEN WHO WORKED RUST AND DUST AS WE LIKED TO CALL IT SOLD UNDERCOATING TO THE UNINFORMED. MODERN CARS ALREADY HAVE UNDERCOAT. IF IN TEN YEARS YOU STILL HAVE CAR, GET IT THEN

ya, what he said, wait 10 years untill your car is showing signs of rust and corrosion, then undercoat it to protect it from rust and corrosion.............................. oh wait..... that doesn't make any sence! ...hmm wonder if the poster of that statement thought about what he was typing there?
Ive only lived in atlantic canada, so take my opinion with a grain of salt! "no pun intended" A metal surface protected by oil will resist rust!

The trick is getting the oil on before the rust develops, so please don't wait 10 years. or type in all CAPITOLS
#14 Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 AM
NISSAN NUT

OR MAYBE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND SARCASIM WHEN YOU HEAR IT!!
#15 Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil281 View Post
OR MAYBE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND SARCASIM WHEN YOU HEAR IT!!
I think you are correct, I didn't understand your sarcasm there. It just seemed like you were yelling some bs about uninformed people undercoating their vehicles.

so...... is the cap lock thing the only way you can communicate? get a life buddy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2008+ Nissan Altima COUPE Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode