Headlight woes - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Headlight woes

I recently purchased a 2013 Maxima with 37,000 miles on it. No accidents and service records. I am having trouble with the headlights.
The high beams, Halogen type work just fine. The low beams work poorly if at all. The right is on but fairly dim and yellow, the left is barely on or frequently not on at all.
This is a US car, sold in Florida. The dealer wants to replace the headlights at an exorbitant cost.
Any suggestions or advice?

Roger

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Get a second opinion first.

I suppose if the ground rings on the LB sockets are badly corroded, replacement is an option, but I'd go aftermarket...check CARiD.com for some aftermarket options.

More likely it's some kind of wiring/ground problem....like somebody put a HID kit in without a relay and burnt the LB wiring. I'd have a good close look at the bulbs too. If you have fogs, you can swap those if you want to just try a different bulb. Look for corrosion, deformation, discolouration of the plastic wiring. Any of these or signs of splicing may mean you should replace at least part of the harness to ensure full power is getting to the bulbs.

It could also be a bad headlight relay.

Nissan OEM HIDs with Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine FStB & RSwB @ 200%, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs & Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose
post #3 of 5 Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I also thought of the headlight relay. Do the low beam relays have a common history of failure?

Roger

post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2017, 01:39 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocette View Post
I also thought of the headlight relay. Do the low beam relays have a common history of failure?

Roger
It's a wear part...not surprising if it goes, though early in this case if true. You can just jumper across the power/load socket connectors to do a quick test.

Have a look on page PG-60 for help in deciphering.

Nissan OEM HIDs with Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine FStB & RSwB @ 200%, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs & Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
From what I can see it should be a blue relay, SPST, NO, It will be replaced tomorrow.
Thank you for your advice and the wiring information.
I will let you know how successful I am.

Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN MAXIMA FORUMS > 2009 - 2014 Nissan Maxima Gen. 7 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode