2013 Altima SV - Constant whining noise at low speeds - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2013 Altima SV - Constant whining noise at low speeds

Hi all,

I am a new member here and a first time Nissan owner. I have had my Altima SV 2.5 for about 3 weeks. The car has about 2000 miles on it.

From day one, any time we are moving at a speed less than 20 MPH there is a constant and most irritating noise coming from somewhere under the hood on the passenger side.

It is a whine noise that alternates between two pitches and sounds like it could be pump or even vacuum noise. The sound is a high pitched 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeee' followed by a slightly lower pitched 'errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr'. It only stops when the car brakes are depressed and the car is fully stopped. I'm sure the noise is still occurring at speeds over 20 but, I can't hear it... yet.

It may seem trivial, but it getting to be intolerable whenever I am doing any city driving.

This car is so new that I can't find any posts with similar issues.

Car is going back into the dealership on Wednesday.

Also, I had an issue with the electronic start the day after I purchased the car. I used the remote start, got in, and was then completely locked out of the car's controls. I couldn't turn the car off, get it out of gear, or have any electronics work. I had to have service techs come to my work's parking garage where they finally manually disengaged the shift lever which did something, because the car immediately shut off... It was running for about an 1.5 hours with absolutely no way for me to turn the car off.

I have to say the car is comfortable. I am coming from a VW Jetta TDI (which had issues for as long as I owned it)... so, the gas mileage on this car is very underwhelming, but I got it so I would have non-exotic (no diesel, no turbos, no premium fuel requirements) problem free, dependable car for years to come... So far, it's off to a rocky start.

So can anyone who has this vehicle report the same kind of noise issues?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theinternot For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No such noise on my 2.5 SV.

About a week in with ~250 miles on it.
#3 Old 08-06-2012, 11:45 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply, Erigion.

This is exactly what I need to know because I won't accept Nissan coming back and saying this noise is normal. It is maddening after a while... so much so, that I don't really want to drive my car unless I know I am going on the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erigion View Post
No such noise on my 2.5 SV.

About a week in with ~250 miles on it.
#4 Old 08-07-2012, 02:09 AM

Man, sounds like you got one of the bad apples.

I hope Nissan fixes things.
#5 Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinternot View Post
Hi all,

I am a new member here and a first time Nissan owner. I have had my Altima SV 2.5 for about 3 weeks. The car has about 2000 miles on it.

From day one, any time we are moving at a speed less than 20 MPH there is a constant and most irritating noise coming from somewhere under the hood on the passenger side.

It is a whine noise that alternates between two pitches and sounds like it could be pump or even vacuum noise. The sound is a high pitched 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeee' followed by a slightly lower pitched 'errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr'. It only stops when the car brakes are depressed and the car is fully stopped. I'm sure the noise is still occurring at speeds over 20 but, I can't hear it... yet.

It may seem trivial, but it getting to be intolerable whenever I am doing any city driving.

This car is so new that I can't find any posts with similar issues.

Car is going back into the dealership on Wednesday.

So can anyone who has this vehicle report the same kind of noise issues?
Check this out... 2011 Quest Steering Noise

The new Altima uses the same electro-hydraulic power steering booster. The Altima supposedly has additional sound proofing around the pump. Given your perception of excessive noise and the steering tracking problem you described in your other post it's possible that something is wrong with the unit in your car.
#6 Old 08-07-2012, 06:28 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah. I hope I didn't, but it seems like I may have gotten one. So far Nissan has been very helpful, especially with the remote start issue that happened... they took the car for a couple of days and ran diagnostics on it, but they never could pinpoint why it happened. They couldn't recreate it either. Luckily Nissan techs actually experienced the issue first hand, else I think they would think I was crazy.

Quote:
Man, sounds like you got one of the bad apples.

I hope Nissan fixes things.
#7 Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks ace,

That is very helpful information.

I bet it's the same noise. The only difference is that mine occurs regardless of turning the wheel.

But, as you can see from the responses on that post... Nissan claims it's normal. This is exactly the answer I don't want.

When you go for a test drive, the sales person is talking to you, the radio is on, you are distracted and are not thinking of persistent whining noise issues while you are excited to buy a brand new vehicle.

I definitely feel the noise is prominent enough to warrant full disclosure on the dealerships end, else you are buying a vehicle under false pretenses. And, this is the tactic I will take if they come back and say they can't do anything and that the noise is normal.

My wife drove it this morning and was able to clearly capture the noise with her phone video camera. Most of the time when you try to capture audio of a noise in the cabin it is never very clear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesk8er View Post
Check this out... 2011 Quest Steering Noise

The new Altima uses the same electro-hydraulic power steering booster. The Altima supposedly has additional sound proofing around the pump. Given your perception of excessive noise and the steering tracking problem you described in your other post it's possible that something is wrong with the unit in your car.

Last edited by theinternot; 08-07-2012 at 07:35 PM.
#8 Old 08-07-2012, 09:10 PM

A little more confirmation on my end.

I drove the first 5 minutes of my morning commute without the radio or fan on. Didn't hear the power steering assist noise nor a whining noise from the passenger side.
#9 Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot Erigion.

Quote:
A little more confirmation on my end.

I drove the first 5 minutes of my morning commute without the radio or fan on. Didn't hear the power steering assist noise nor a whining noise from the passenger side.
#10 Old 08-09-2012, 01:50 AM

(Thread Starter)
Update

Took car in this morning for noise issue. Did the ride along with the tech and he acknowledged the noise. He said that they would compare it to other Altima's on the lot and see if they can identify the source.

Got a call to pick it up this afternoon and drove about 3 feet, turned around, and got the service writer to go for a drive. He heard the noise instantly. Not fixed at all.

Invoice said they repositioned the power steering pump bracket.

And, so it begins....
#11 Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Took car in this morning for noise issue. Did the ride along with the tech and he acknowledged the noise. He said that they would compare it to other Altima's on the lot and see if they can identify the source.

Got a call to pick it up this afternoon and drove about 3 feet, turned around, and got the service writer to go for a drive. He heard the noise instantly. Not fixed at all.

Invoice said they repositioned the power steering pump bracket.

And, so it begins....
I feel for you. Good luck and keep us posted. Also, I have done a lot of research on VW diesel. What was your old ride?
#12 Old 08-09-2012, 02:18 AM

(Thread Starter)
Ahh, then you may have run across some of my posts on tdiclub.com.

I thought by buying a basic, brand new car I would be avoiding headaches.

Guess not.

I had a 2006 Jetta TDI that sucked the life blood out of me and ended up costing me over 7K above what I initially paid for it. It is the car I finally traded in for the Altima. I was starting to have all my free time consumed by it again... so, I dumped it. I tried selling it a while back right after I had my my turbo & camshaft replaced, but was asking way too much. So, I drove it for a while and it started blowing smoke again, and the tranny started feeling like it was full of marbles, and the CV joint went out, and the control arm bushings were shot, and... etc... I didn't even want to sell it to anybody anymore.

All that aside, I frikkin loved the power and handling of that car (aside from a noticeable flat spot when the wheel was dead center... this car has a fully electric steering rack which are known to have this quirk). And, I loved that I knew every square inch of it inside and out... but, I just didn't have the time or energy to keep fixing it and knowing the next thing was just right around the corner. I almost got a Passat TDI, with the same mentality that I would at least have a few worry free years and a warranty. But, I didn't feel like giving VW anymore money.

I need to get rid of my 130 mile a day commute and go back to riding a skateboard to get around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eztalking View Post
I feel for you. Good luck and keep us posted. Also, I have done a lot of research on VW diesel. What was your old ride?

Last edited by theinternot; 08-09-2012 at 04:47 AM.
#13 Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:

I thought by buying a basic, brand new car I would be avoiding headaches.

Guess not.
I hear ya... I had various issues with my car that couldn't be resolved through my local dealer's service department. I used the BBB's "Auto Line" service, which resulted in Nissan sending somebody from Tennessee to inspect the car and authorize repairs. Everything was eventually fixed to my satisfaction but the hassle factor was way too high.

Last edited by acesk8er; 08-09-2012 at 03:12 AM.
#14 Old 08-09-2012, 03:49 AM

(Thread Starter)
Exactly.

The hassle factor is really what I don't want to deal with. Constant follow ups, miscommunications, wrong answers, etc...

Maybe if this was my only recent car issue my tolerance level would be higher,
but have also been dealing with this P.I.T.A.

NEED ADVICE - Opinion on shoddy repair job w/pics - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

P.s. Thanks for the info on the BBB Auto Line. I sure hope it never comes to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesk8er View Post
I hear ya... I had various issues with my car that couldn't be resolved through my local dealer's service department. I used the BBB's "Auto Line" service, which resulted in Nissan sending somebody from Tennessee to inspect the car and authorize repairs. Everything was eventually fixed to my satisfaction but the hassle factor was way too high.

Last edited by theinternot; 08-09-2012 at 03:56 AM.
#15 Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 AM

Hi, I might have a similar whining noise. It also is coming from the passenger side. I have an altima SL 2013, bought it 1 week ago and now has 600 miles. I noticed this whiny, morse code like sound a few days ago, while doing under 20 miles also, at first I thought it was the AC or the fan but it still does it while the AC/fan is off. Even does it when the car is stopped with my foot on the brakes. I does't seem to make the sound while the shifter is in park, but will need to test some more before I will bring it to the dealer. It does get annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List
theinternot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode