Can Key work without a battery? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can Key work without a battery?

Can the Key Start the car even if there's no battery in the key?

I've looked at the owner's manual.

From what I understand, its possible to use the mechanical key to open the door, but you cant use it to start the engine, although I've read you can start the engine by "Touching" the Start button with the intelligent key for a few seconds and then pushing the start button (I think) when the Key's battery is "discharged", Im wondering if this functions even if there's no battery?

In other words, can you get a traditional key equivalent (for the second set of keys) by removing the battery (so no remote functions but still able to use the key as a traditional key to get in and start the engine)?

Last edited by IceWendigo; 08-08-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 09:20 PM

No. From what I can see, there's nowhere to insert the mechanical key to start the car. It can only be used to unlock/lock the doors, glove box, and trunk. You must use the Intelligent Key to start the car.

I doubt the Intelligent Key will work at all if you removed the battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erigion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
On a little different subject than the OP
and you can correct me if I am wrong but
...I thought I read in the owners' manual---the car will tell you (in the message center) when your remote battery is low -- so you can get the battery replaced before you are SOL.

So-- don't worry about the dang battery -- just drive the thing.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 AM

My interpretation of "discharged" = "dead". I have a spare key fob with no battery and I can start my '09 with it when I insert it into key fob slot. My take away from the instructions in the manual and from the video is that touching the ring around the ignition switch with the key fob is equivalent to inserting the key fob into the dedicated fob slot in the older cars.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acesk8er For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee614 View Post
On a little different subject than the OP
and you can correct me if I am wrong but
...I thought I read in the owners' manual---the car will tell you (in the message center) when your remote battery is low -- so you can get the battery replaced before you are SOL.

So-- don't worry about the dang battery -- just drive the thing.

Yes, there is a warning light that comes on when the Intelligent Key is low on juice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesk8er View Post
My interpretation of "discharged" = "dead". I have a spare key fob with no battery and I can start my '09 with it when I insert it into key fob slot. My take away from the instructions in the manual and from the video is that touching the ring around the ignition switch with the key fob is equivalent to inserting the key fob into the dedicated fob slot in the older cars.

2013 NISSAN Altima Sedan - Push Button Ignition - YouTube
Yes, discharged does not mean the key is dead. You can still start the car even if the remote functions do not work. Although, you probably would want to replace the battery ASAP.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 PM

So if there's no battery the car wont start even if you touch the ignition button with the key. Darn.

And it might not start if the battery is 100% dead.

Maybe someone will make a cable that plugs the key into the usb port so you can use the car's battery to tell the cars battery to start the car
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWendigo View Post
So if there's no battery the car wont start even if you touch the ignition button with the key. Darn.
I interpreted Erigion's post as meaning that the car would start, even if there's no battery in the key.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Mech View Post
I interpreted Erigion's post as meaning that the car would start, even if there's no battery in the key.
No. A discharged battery is not the same as a dead battery is not the same as no battery. I can't imagine any situation where a reasonable person would have their battery discharged all the way where it wouldn't be able to unlock the doors and start the car.

The best I can come up with is if one key isn't used for a long, long period of time. Then you might find yourself with a dead key.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 PM

Well, acesk8er said, "I have a spare key fob with no battery and I can start my '09 with it when I insert it into key fob slot," and I'd be surprised if Nissan changed things so that a battery is now required.

RFID tags can be externally powered at close range (e.g., by putting the key fob in the slot in an older model, or by bringing it right next to the ignition button in newer ones). Same idea as those keycards to open locks that you tap against the reader, or the ID chips implanted in pets--there's no battery; the reader powers them wirelessly.

But as for whether Nissan has designed it so it'll work that way in the '13s, I guess someone will just have to try it and let us know
Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erigion View Post
No. A discharged battery is not the same as a dead battery is not the same as no battery. I can't imagine any situation where a reasonable person would have their battery discharged all the way where it wouldn't be able to unlock the doors and start the car.

The best I can come up with is if one key isn't used for a long, long period of time. Then you might find yourself with a dead key.
A discharged battery is a battery with no voltage potential and it is a dead battery which is the same as no battery. (Of course if your discharged or dead battery leak acid and damage the key then it is worse than no battery) The procedure in the Nissan manual to touch it to the start switch is to let the car read the id chip passively. Same technology as your new Visa card where you just touch it to the transaction handset and you lost your money. No battery needed.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 AM

Great! Someone can steal my credit card number and car all without having my credit card or key. I'll have to wrap both in foil. Haha
Old 08-14-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eztalking View Post
Great! Someone can steal my credit card number and car all without having my credit card or key. I'll have to wrap both in foil. Haha
That is why I had them send me an old style credit card when they sent me the new one last year.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honva View Post
A discharged battery is a battery with no voltage potential and it is a dead battery which is the same as no battery. (Of course if your discharged or dead battery leak acid and damage the key then it is worse than no battery) The procedure in the Nissan manual to touch it to the start switch is to let the car read the id chip passively. Same technology as your new Visa card where you just touch it to the transaction handset and you lost your money. No battery needed.
no battery and a dead battery are not the same thing.

the 4th gens need a battery in fob dead or not for the car to charge it and start. glad they solved that issue with the 5th gen

Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702L32 View Post
no battery and a dead battery are not the same thing.

the 4th gens need a battery in fob dead or not for the car to charge it and start. glad they solved that issue with the 5th gen
'09 is 4th gen, and acesk8er says that he can start his '09 with no battery in the fob. Also, the battery in the fob isn't rechargeable--it's a regular lithium coin cell battery, so the car can't/doesn't charge it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode