Sport Mode on 2.5 SV? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sport Mode on 2.5 SV?

I have a Ds setting on my shifter, so I looked it up and it's a Sport Mode:

Cool, but my car doesn't have paddle shifters. Does it have an alternate purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 AM

I'm guessing it just forces the CVT to mimic a normal transmission, i.e., the RPMs will rise and fall under acceleration instead of staying at whatever ratio the computer deems is the most efficient.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erigion View Post
I'm guessing it just forces the CVT to mimic a normal transmission, i.e., the RPMs will rise and fall under acceleration instead of staying at whatever ratio the computer deems is the most efficient.
That's exactly correct - but it does a rather poor imitation of a step gear transmission in actual driving.

I just don't get it - why would you want the cvt to mimic the less efficient step gear design?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 PM

The pedal shifter on the 3.5L will mimic conventional auto-gear to set the CVT to pre-set ratio. However, the sports mode would be different. It simply is an alternative program for the CVT that would keep the engine at a higher rpm than normal to provide more torque and hence making the car feel more sportive. It still behaves as a CVT. The draw back is a bit higher gas consumption compared to the normal mode.

Nissan recommends the sports mode when driving on hilly or curvy roads. This substitutes the "L" mode on older transmissions. I guess when going down slopes, the mode would also provide more aggressive engine braking.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM

shifting gears option on a CVT is a bit like having a whip as an option for the early model T cars, you can whip the hood of the car as if it were a horse. Im not sure if it really helps the car go faster but people used to horse carriages will have something familiar to do. Yee hahh! Wak! Wak!

But a more sporty option isnt a bad idea, isnt that what the little button (Overdrive?) on the side of the transmition stick does? I tried it during a test drive and I couldnt clearly tell if it was really more powerful (or just simply more noisy).

Last edited by IceWendigo; 08-13-2012 at 01:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceWendigo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=Honva;However, the sports mode would be different. It simply is an alternative program for the CVT that would keep the engine at a higher rpm than normal to provide more torque and hence making the car feel more sportive. It still behaves as a CVT.
.[/QUOTE]

This is not correct. Sport mode, at least on my car, mimics a 7 speed auto with "gear shifts". But there's no way to hold specific gears. The manual confirms that sport mode gives a " shift feel".

I wish it was just alternative, and slightly more aggressive mapping without the fake gears.

Last edited by dbc; 08-13-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM

Icewendigo:

I like your analogy with the whip for a model T. Because it doesn't feel like a conventional transmission, many people are unwilling to accept that a cvt is actually superior.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
This is not correct. Sport mode, at least on my car, mimics a 7 speed auto with "gear shifts". But there's no way to hold specific gears. The manual confirms that sport mode gives a " shift feel".

I wish it was just alternative, and slightly more aggressive mapping without the fake gears.
This is strange. I am still waiting for my car but when I test the 2.5L, it behaves differently. The Ds mode does not have 7 preset position stepping gear ratio. Gear ratio still changes continuously but just more aggressive. It behaves same as my Rogue's sport mode. Are you sure yours only has 7 steps in Ds mode?

In the manual (page 5-13), it clearly indicated the Ds position has 2 modes of operation. For 3.5 engine with the manual shifter, it could operate in manual mode with the preset stepping. For models without the manual shifter, it operates at regular Ds mode.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 PM

On page 5-13 it states' the CVT can operate in two different automatic drive modes. D(Drive) and Ds (Drive sport). Near the end of the page it states that the trans can operate in "two manual drive modes". Ds is supposed to give you "sporty driving shift operation". It also stated that Ds gives "a more aggressive acceleration..and a gear change sensation". The manual's explaination is not entirely consistent. And the 3.5 is different again with the shift paddles.

I'm absolutely certain than my 2.5 in Ds mode imitates shifts. Strangely the first one, especially under heavy throttle doesnt occur until about 40-50 mph but then there are 5 more "changes" after that. Have you tested a 2.5 is Ds mode up to these speeds?

I'll check it again when I'm out later today. Maybe Ds feels more continuous if used under light throttle - but then that's not very "sporty".

Last edited by dbc; 08-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM

I would prefer Ds to be simply more aggressive pure CVT mapping rather than the silly "gears" but in the long run it doesn't make me much difference. I'll almost never use Ds because there's essentially no performance gain.

Just "get on it" hard enough in D and rpm's quickly rise to above 6000 (at 40mph or more) and that provides for the absolute fastest acceleration. No need to worry yourself with "gears" and "changes". Just allow the cvt to do what it's designed to do better than any step gear transmission.

Last edited by dbc; 08-13-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 PM

No. I didn't test the Ds on highway speed. Only up to 60-70km/h (~40mph??). May be I didn't step on the gas hard enough. Didn't feel the gear change at all. The engine ramp up to about 3000 then gradually drop back to ~1300-1500 at 60-70km/h.

True. The regular drive mode in the CVT is so smart to adapt the road condition, there is little need to switch to the sports mode. I had the 2009 Rogue then the 2012. Other than testing/playing in the first week, I have never used the manual shift in my 09 and never switched on sports mode on the 12. :-)
Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honva View Post
No. I didn't test the Ds on highway speed. Only up to 60-70km/h (~40mph??). May be I didn't step on the gas hard enough. Didn't feel the gear change at all. The engine ramp up to about 3000 then gradually drop back to ~1300-1500 at 60-70km/h.

True. The regular drive mode in the CVT is so smart to adapt the road condition, there is little need to switch to the sports mode. I had the 2009 Rogue then the 2012. Other than testing/playing in the first week, I have never used the manual shift in my 09 and never switched on sports mode on the 12. :-)
It takes a heavy foot to get the transmission to go past 4k RPMs. Under normal driving, I've never gone past that. And it's not because I've been driving more conservatively in the break-in period.

And yes, Ds is a placebo for drivers who want their transmission to sound like something they're used to.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Ds mode in my car results in operation almost indistinguishable from D with very light throttle application. If using more than, say, 25% throttle you will get 6 "shifts" from a standing start to highway speeds. There is no way to hold the "gears" or control the shift points.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:14 PM

What is the difference between the Ds and the small side button (I think its called overdrive)?

The dealer told me activating the small button gives a little boost to performance, has anyone noticed if you get slightly better acceleration if you need to pass a car or something (as opposed to a gear-ish feel that might be more about feel than actual acceleration)?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:47 PM

The OD off button is used only to improve engine braking - per the manual.

It really can't give a "little boost to performance" as the cvt will quickly adjust the ratio to provide the best performance for your throttle application in the D position.

Fooling around with fake gears and OD off may make you feel better, but it's not going to improve performance. Just "nail the throttle" and it'll accelerate as fast as possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode