Transmission Dipstick - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Dipstick

My 2.5 SL dosen't have a dipstick for transmission., There is a cap over the tube.The manual shows a dipstick though. Has anyone else noticed this. I checked a car in the showroom at the dealer an it was the same. My car was built in Canton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2012, 01:39 PM
B15

All CVTs have this. You'll see a slot in the cap to stick a small flathead through to unlatch it. Make sure you pull up at the same time.

2010 370z- Sport/Touring/Nav/6MT
#3 Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 PM

(Thread Starter)
thank you
#4 Old 11-22-2012, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Service dept --- 2013 Altima does not have transmission dip stick

My 2013 Altima 2.5 also just has a cap where the transmission dip stick should be -- The cap looks like the cap on my daughters 2004 Murano. I have removed hers and checked her transmission oil. When I attempted to remove the cap from the new Altima it did not appear to be easily removed, and I did not want to force it or break it. While I was at the dealer (for other reasons) I questioned how to remove the cap and check the oil. The service rep told me the cap was not meant to be removed by owners (only by Nissan service dept) and that there was NO DIPSTICK installed in the tube (the dealer has one). He stated that I should never have to worry about the transmission oil level -- that it was good for "life". I had previously noted that nowhere in the owners manual was there any info on checking transmission oil and I have not seen the location of the transmission "dip stick" shown anywhere in the owners manual. Nissan has completely ignored giving any information in the owners manual concerning the check (OR no check) of the CVT transmission on a 2013 Altima.
#5 Old 11-22-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2046 View Post
My 2013 Altima 2.5 also just has a cap where the transmission dip stick should be -- The cap looks like the cap on my daughters 2004 Murano. I have removed hers and checked her transmission oil. When I attempted to remove the cap from the new Altima it did not appear to be easily removed, and I did not want to force it or break it. While I was at the dealer (for other reasons) I questioned how to remove the cap and check the oil. The service rep told me the cap was not meant to be removed by owners (only by Nissan service dept) and that there was NO DIPSTICK installed in the tube (the dealer has one). He stated that I should never have to worry about the transmission oil level -- that it was good for "life". I had previously noted that nowhere in the owners manual was there any info on checking transmission oil and I have not seen the location of the transmission "dip stick" shown anywhere in the owners manual. Nissan has completely ignored giving any information in the owners manual concerning the check (OR no check) of the CVT transmission on a 2013 Altima.

Actually, they did mention it in the Altima Owner's Manual.

Maintenance and do-it-yourself 8-13

When checking or replacement of CVT fluid is required, we recommend your NISSAN dealer for servicing.
#6 Old 11-22-2012, 03:56 PM

Owner Manual 8-6 / 8-7 No Transmission tube shown or ID'd

I was aware of the statement in the owners manual page 8-13 recommending / suggesting having a Nissan dealer check the transmission fluid. I guess I should have stressed that the owners manual does not provide info for a OWNER to make checks. QUOTE FROM MANUAL "When checking or replacement of CVT Fluid is required, we recommend your NISSAN dealer for servicing." On the same page it is noted that ONLY Nissan NS-3 transmission may be used in the 2013 Altima. In the index under Transmission only two other pages are referenced (5-13 and 5-17). These pages concern driving and not servicing. This is not much useable info. My point is no where is it noted that there is no actual transmission dip stick installed in the tube. (I assume what the Nissan service rep told me is true as I have not attempted to "force' removal of the transmission tube cap to see for myself.) I am not aware of any other information concerning removal / not removal of the cap. See owners manual page 8-6 and 8-7 (ENGINE COMPARTMENT CHECK LOCATIONS) -- There is NO transmission "dip stick" tube shown or referenced. I previously searched and the actual location (OR tube existence) could not be found in the manual. (The tube is in the same approximate place as the 2004 Murano.) Because the CVT transmission fluid type (and level) is so important I can only assume Nissan is attempting to avoid having anyone make a mistake using the wrong fluid (not NS-3) or over filling. This may be a good idea -- however I would still prefer to have the option to make my own fluid level checks. Of course the correct procedure should be made known and followed. (Hot fluid / shift through the gear ranges etc, in park etc.) or "whatever the procedure should be".
#7 Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2046 View Post
I was aware of the statement in the owners manual page 8-13 recommending / suggesting having a Nissan dealer check the transmission fluid. I guess I should have stressed that the owners manual does not provide info for a OWNER to make checks. QUOTE FROM MANUAL "When checking or replacement of CVT Fluid is required, we recommend your NISSAN dealer for servicing." On the same page it is noted that ONLY Nissan NS-3 transmission may be used in the 2013 Altima. In the index under Transmission only two other pages are referenced (5-13 and 5-17). These pages concern driving and not servicing. This is not much useable info. My point is no where is it noted that there is no actual transmission dip stick installed in the tube. (I assume what the Nissan service rep told me is true as I have not attempted to "force' removal of the transmission tube cap to see for myself.) I am not aware of any other information concerning removal / not removal of the cap. See owners manual page 8-6 and 8-7 (ENGINE COMPARTMENT CHECK LOCATIONS) -- There is NO transmission "dip stick" tube shown or referenced. I previously searched and the actual location (OR tube existence) could not be found in the manual. (The tube is in the same approximate place as the 2004 Murano.) Because the CVT transmission fluid type (and level) is so important I can only assume Nissan is attempting to avoid having anyone make a mistake using the wrong fluid (not NS-3) or over filling. This may be a good idea -- however I would still prefer to have the option to make my own fluid level checks. Of course the correct procedure should be made known and followed. (Hot fluid / shift through the gear ranges etc, in park etc.) or "whatever the procedure should be".
Your only option then is to buy and/or download the Factory Service Manual for your 2013 Altima. There is a lot of information 'missing' from the Owner's manual, as Nissan does not want the owner fooling around with certain items, the CVT being one.
#8 Old 11-23-2012, 05:59 AM

My opinion -- a owner should have the option to check CVT transmission fluid level

LAST part of my original post of 22 Nov. reads as follows: "Because the CVT transmission fluid type (and level) is so important I can only assume Nissan is attempting to avoid having anyone make a mistake using the wrong fluid (not NS-3) or over filling. This may be a good idea -- however I would still prefer to have the option to make my own fluid level checks. Of course the correct procedure should be made known and followed. (Hot fluid / shift through the gear ranges etc, in park etc.) or "whatever the procedure should be".

I always obtain Factory Service Manuals for all my cars in the past and will get one for the 2013 when available at a reasonable price. I already have a factory service manual for a Nissan Altima 2012 (not 2013). -- but as we know the 2012 and 2013 are different.

The owners manual page 8-13 notes: "WHEN checking or replacement of CVT fluid IS REQUIRED, we recommend your NISSAN dealer for servicing."

It would have been nice if the OWNERS manual on the SAME page had followed up with the time line / mileage suggestions listed in the "2013 Service and Maintenance Guide" page 12 (these notes are short), or at least referenced them. Note that a Nissan Service rep told me the CVT transmission oil would be "Good for life" when I asked about the service tube cap removal. It would be cost prohibitive AND risky for a owner to actually fully change / replace CVT fluid (using the transmission cooling supply and return lines) -- even though the dealer will not be cheap. The amount (volume), cost of NS-3 oil and equipment needed would not be practical for owner replacement. But just to check proper level is something a owner SHOULD have the option to do. I am now curious as what (how much) information may be in other (newer) model cars owners manuals, especially those with a CVT transmission.
#9 Old 11-23-2012, 11:47 AM

I agree with you, but it is painfully oblivious that Nissan did not ask either you or I if they should have a CVT dipstick on the 2013 Altima.

I am sure that once you obtain a 2013 Factory Service Manual that you will figure out how to check the CVT fluid, and happy days will be here again.
#10 Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 AM

2013 Nissan Altima Service Manual CVT Instructions

2013 Nissan Altima Service Manual (Dated June 2012)

Quick review of Service Manual instructions for replacement of CVT fluid.

Although it appears to be basically a drain - refill - drain - refill procedure, it will probably be best accomplished by a Nissan dealer. ($$) Hopefully the dealer will follow the critical steps, including proper temperatures etc. defined by the service manual. The fluid is largely affected by temperature. The CVT fluid is NS-3 which is different from previous Altimas, and MUST be used. (I know the previous fluid retail was $20+ a quart/liter and this is supposed to be much more.) The FILL LEVEL IS CRITICAL and the capacity is less than previous Altima's.

After draining thru the CVT drain plug, the fill point is a little ambiguous, on page TM-82 (4 cylinder but 6 cylinder is same procedure). Filling "appears" to be by removing a "Overflow plug", installing a "Charging Pipe SET" in the overflow plug hole, and in step 9 installing the ATF "Changer Hose" to the "Charging PIPE" and filling with aprox 3 liters fluid thru that hose. After complete reading of all instructions, I take it that the fill hose is intended to be attached to the "Charging Pipe SET" previously installed in the overflow plug hole. The ambiguous part is that on page TM-210, part (3) is ID' d as "CVT Fluid Charging PIPE". --- This is the pipe that the CVT fluid "gage" is attached to --- (the normal "dipstick" that may -- or may not exist -- even though the "Pipe" does). (This is the "Usual / normal" transmission fill point in other vehicles.) I have not removed the cap from this pipe to see if a "dipstick" is there -- I was told by the dealer that there is no "dipstick" in the pipe/tube and I did not want to damage the attachment and in any way effect my warranty. BUT - I was ALSO told by the dealer service rep that the CVT fluid does not have to be changed -- HOWEVER -- The "2013 Service And Maintenance GUIDE" page 12 lists time / mileage / fluid deterioration data / which does indicate changing requirements. This is NOT referenced in the "Owners Manual", only on page 8-13 the statement "When checking or replacement of CVT fluid is required, we recommend your NISSAN dealer for servicing."

Apparently the Nissan stand is everyone will have their vehicle "serviced" at a Nissan dealership and will therefore be made aware of when/if the CVT fluid should be replaced. I am a little "picky" about transmission (now CVT) service --- I had a Toyota Camry transmission fail at only aprox 80,000 miles which cost me more than $2,000 a few years ago and I don't want to have any CVT problems. I write this because the Nissan "Owners Manual" tends to gloss over CVT maintenance. As above noted it is barely mentioned in that manual -- and I believe it is important for anyone who keeps and drives a vehicle for several (or more) years OR cares about proper maintenance.

As previously posted "Because the CVT transmission fluid type (and level) is so important I can only assume Nissan is attempting to avoid having anyone make a mistake using the wrong fluid (not NS-3) or over filling. This may be a good idea."

It would appear that service maintenance of the CVT (over time) will cost a lot of the $$ that hopefully is saved in mileage.
#11 Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
Your only option then is to buy and/or download the Factory Service Manual for your 2013 Altima. There is a lot of information 'missing' from the Owner's manual, as Nissan does not want the owner fooling around with certain items, the CVT being one.
You can go on e-bay put in 2013 Altima service manual for $30 to $32 shiped it comes in a CD and you will be able to look up and repair everything on your car it is great just to look at they tell you things like we should be able to have fog lights for daytime running,or bad things like when your LED tail lights go out you replace the whole tail light $260.00 thank you, just so much info. and warnings to look out for. The only thing I don't think we can send out diagrams or pics off the CD but you can print off of them.

Last edited by d cleve; 12-15-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode