LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Upgrading Stock Audio System

Hello everyone,

I just purschased my 2013 Altima 3.5S, but I am really not satisfied with the stock audio system. Has anyone done any upgrades yet? I visited an audio shop here in Phoenix (Audio Express) and they told me they don't have any wiring harnesses yet or anything.....I guess my question is will the stock radio support better speakers and a sub/amplifer? Or will I have to also upgrade the head unit...?

I greatly appreciate any help or reccomendations for good audio shops in the Phoenix area. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I got the Navagation system so I was really attached to keeping the head unit, but I did replace all the speakers and added a sub. I think it made a huge difference in response and clarity. Nissan used 2 Ohm speakers, and if you install 4 ohm the volume will be low and sound less than wonderful. I found JBL and Infinity make 2 ohm speakers that will work well on the factory system. I went with JBL and ordered them off Amazon as no one local stocked them. I didn't want to damage any factory wire plugs, so I used the plugs from the factory speakers as well as parts of the speakers to make mounting brackets so the replacement speakers just drop in the factory locations. I destroyed all the original speakers, but they are cheap if you ever wanted to put back to factory($34 -$38 each from Nissan), and nothing on the car was cut or altered. I'm working on posting photos and instructions, but I can email what I have if you need it ASAP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westly197 For This Useful Post:
#3 Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Just started this, but there are a few photos here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4001816

I used JBL P662S (~$88) 6.5 low profile speakers in the doors, JBL P963 (~$130) 6x9's in the rear, and JBL GTO18T (~$65) in the dash. I think I'd select something different in the dash if I did it again, they are a little bright, either P26T 3 ohm or GTO 329 for a more factory like replacement. For the sub I used an old Infinity 10" Basslink (~$199) self powered sub I had removed from my Toyota Tacoma. Very small and fits even with the wheel well on the left side of the trunk. It can be seen here: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...8BassLink.jpeg

Last edited by westly197; 09-11-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Add Prices
The Following User Says Thank You to westly197 For This Useful Post:
#4 Old 09-11-2012, 05:28 PM

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate your time and response. I would eventually like to replace the head unit as well, since I have the basic one that came with the 3.5S. Any thoughts on when these will be available?

Have a great day and thanks again!
#5 Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM

You will probably have to go online for the parts, no one near me had anything. The first thing you'll need for the head unit is an adapter to make a standard stereo fit. I thought I had found one once but a quick search didn't show any that were correct. Any that say they fit a 2012 or earlier are not going to work as the dash is very different on the 2013. You'll also need a very special kit for the steering wheel controls to work, so thats another thing to think about. For me, I'd also have issues with the screen between the guages if the stock Navi was removed. Who ever tries this for you should really know what there doing and will have to special order parts, it won't be cheap if you want everything to work.
#6 Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM

This is a great post westly! Can you tell us how much the speakers cost? Maybe tell how much a sub would cost as well? I would love to upgrade the systems speakers as well, but i'll have to wait and save some coin. Also, how and where did you get the input levels from the stock head unit(high or low level?) to plug into the seperate subwoofer? Thanks bud!
#7 Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM

westly197 - so you have non bose? Were the tweets a replacement or an addition? Are the backs 6x9 or did you mod the back deck to fit 6x9?

I did the same exact thing in my Z with the door speakers 10 years ago. Makes a perfect fit! Glad to see i can do that again.

03 350Z Crawford 265 Cams, Plenum, Headers, Cats, Big Bore TB, Fujitsubo Ti Exhaust, TS ECU, JWT Intake, Clutch, Flywheel
09 Xterra X - 6MT
2013 Altima 2.5 SV Storm Blue
#8 Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 PM

First off, my goal here was to do zero modifications to the car and it's wiring system, so no, I did not modify the back deck. The 6x9's drop in, but the screw holes do not match. The factory screws did just make it on the outside of the 6x9's, so I didn't make any new holes, just used the factory screws to hold the new speakers in by the edges of the speaker frame. I added hot glue to be sure there would be no vibrations and the sponge stuff that came with the speakers. I have photos I'll post when I get the chance.
For the connection to the factory wires, I removed the jacks from the factory speakers and attached them to the crossovers on the JBL speakers. This also proved to be an easy place to attach the high-level wires from the Infinity Baselink sub to provide a source for the audio to the sub. Since there are no RCA jacks in the system I'm aware of, I had to use high-level adapters, in this case built into the Baselink. The Baselink also has an auto-sense circuit that turns the sub on without the need for a remote signal wire, so I didn't have to dig into the stereo wires. I did run a power cable from the battery, to the trunk to provide power, it just slipped under a bolt on the battery terminal, no modification needed. I ran it inside the car, under the drivers side kick plates, and into the trunk where the factory wires run. It enters the cabin with the rest of the electrical wires from the engine compartment through the factory boot. That was a real pain and there was a zip tie on the inside that must be removed before you can feed it through. Most people will probably prefer to drill and put a bushing to feed it through, but again I didn't want to modify.
There was all ready a speaker in the left and right side of the dash, but I don't know if I'd call it a tweeter. I also have photos of this speaker and process I'll post soon. It's just a small paper speaker with a cap to filter out low frequencies, it was 4 ohms. It has a 4 hole mounting with one stud and three screws. The center location is empty as only the Bose system uses a center speaker. The jack is integrated to the speaker like the door speakers, so I removed the magnet and speaker parts, then used the basket to mount the new tweeter to. This way it also just dropped in and the factory wires plug right in. The crossover was glued to the bottom of the basket where the magnet once was and i soldered it to the tabs on the jack.

Photos here: http://photobucket.com/Altima2013Speaker

Last edited by westly197; 09-12-2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: error correction
The Following User Says Thank You to westly197 For This Useful Post:
#9 Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Great info, thanks!

03 350Z Crawford 265 Cams, Plenum, Headers, Cats, Big Bore TB, Fujitsubo Ti Exhaust, TS ECU, JWT Intake, Clutch, Flywheel
09 Xterra X - 6MT
2013 Altima 2.5 SV Storm Blue
#10 Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 AM

Is the SV with Navigation has 8 or 9 speakers? Website said only 8, I count 9 but I am not sure if 1 is just empty.
#11 Old 09-13-2012, 03:43 AM

Non-Bose has only 6, 2 in the dash (left and right side, center is empty), 2 in the front doors, and two in the rear deck. They are all single coil speakers. I have the SV with Navagation and replaced all the speakers. Read my posts about speaker replacement to see photos. There are places for speakers in the back doors (2) and the center of the dash (1), which would make 9.

Wes
2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV Metallic Slate with Navigation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode