LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2013 Altima Door Speaker Install

2013 Altima Door Speaker Install:

If you are going to keep the factory Radio or Navigation system, you’ll need 2 Ohm speakers to maintain the volume and quality since the factory system is build for 2 Ohm speakers (except the small dash speakers are 4 Ohm), not 4 or 8 ohm. I found Infinity and JBL offer speakers that work as direct replacements. I choose the following for my install:
JBL P662S 6.5” Shallow Mount 2 Ohm Speakers For Doors (~$88 Amazon)
JBL P963 6x9 2 Ohm Speakers for Rear Deck (~$130 Amazon)
JBL GTO18T Tweeters For Dash (~$65 Amazon) {little bright, might prefer P26T Tweeter or GTO 329 for a two way}
Infinity BassLink Powered Sub (~$199 Crutchfield) I had this all ready from my previous car.

Link to rear speaker install: http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/201...r-install.html

More photos here: http://photobucket.com/Altima2013Speaker

First remove OEM speakers from front door panels. It is not necessary to remove the door panel completely, you can just unsnap the bottom. Laying under it on you back, remove the three screws. You have very little space and must be careful to only bend the panel up enough to access the screws. If you are intent on removing the panel, I’ll start with how far I got, but I could not get the cover under the door handle to pop off without damage, so I just left it on.

Skip these if you don’t want to remove the Door Panel completely!

Remove the Door Handle Cover using a Pry tool, I used a set from Harbor Freight Tools for about $7 (Item #67021)
5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set

This reveals the upper screw and clips holding the Window and door lock switches.

This is the upper Screw holding the door handle to the door.

Release the clip and remove the Switches to see the lower Screw.

Unplug the harness to free the switch from the door.

Next you need to remove the cover under the door handle, I had no luck and even pulled the handle off my tool trying. This is when I decided to just pull up the panel enough to access the screws without removing the door panel rather then risking breaking something. If you do remove the panel, email me the photos!

Here is where the speaker bolts onto the door.

And the inside of the door panel:

Last edited by westly197; 09-12-2013 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Add link
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to westly197 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 AM

(Thread Starter)
Continued...

Here are the OEM Door Speakers:

Once Removed, remove the wires to the cones, rip out the cone foam surround, and clip off the arms attaching the basket and magnet to the trim ring and jack with large wire cutters. Clip off the ring around the very top of the speaker next to the foam surround so the new speaker can be placed on top of where the old cone was. See the photos of the OEM speaker next to the new JBL. I used a high temp glue stick in my glue gun to attach the speakers, wires, and cross overs.

This is the basket and magnet I cut off:

I used what was left of the OEM speakers as mounting rings for the new speakers. I soldered wires to the integrated jacks and ran them to the crossovers on the new speakers, and glued the crossover to the bottom edge of the speaker magnet. Be careful to attach low and on what will be the bottom of the speaker. The window comes down a little over halfway down the magnet and will hit the crossover if you attach it too high or anywhere but the bottom. Also the rings will only fit one way due to the pins on them.

Once done there is no sign the were replaced except for the clear, full range sound you get.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to westly197 For This Useful Post:
#3 Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 AM

(Thread Starter)
Altima 2013 Front Dash Speaker Install

Altima 2013 Front Dash Speaker Install:

If you are going to keep the factory Radio or Navigation system, you’ll need 2 Ohm speakers to maintain the volume and quality since the factory system is build for 2 Ohm speakers, not 4 or 8 ohm. I found Infinity and JBL offer speakers that work as direct replacements. I choose the following for my install:
JBL P662S 6.5” Shallow Mount 2 Ohm Speakers For Doors (~$88 Amazon)
JBL P963 6x9 2 Ohm Speakers for Rear Deck (~$130 Amazon)
JBL GTO18T Tweeters For Dash (~$65 Amazon) {little bright, might prefer P26T Tweeter or GTO 329 for a two way}
Infinity BassLink Powered Sub (~$199 Crutchfield) I had this all ready from my previous car .

First you will need to pull the door Jam rubber seal away from the front piller covers that are between the windshield and side window.

The Pillar covers just snap on, but are also attached with a catch that prevents the plastic from hitting you when the airbag is deployed. I was not able to remove these, but they have just enough play so you can get the front clips out of the speaker covers without totally removing them.
Now the cover should just pop off, but the light sensor (If you have auto headlights) will keep them from just pulling off.

The speakers are held on with three screws and a plastic stud in the 4th hole. Just remove the three screws and pull the speaker up, disconnect the speaker wire jack.

I used a large flat head screw driver to pry off the magnet and removed the flex wire to the cone from the speaker jack. I then ripped out the driver, surround, and voice coil as well, just leaving the empty basket.

I then used hot glue to attach the new tweeter to the basket and soldered the crossover to the tweeter and jack, be sure to connect to the jack and not after the Cap they used as a filter.

Now reinstall everything and you are set!
Crisisx1 likes this.

Last edited by westly197; 06-06-2013 at 05:25 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to westly197 For This Useful Post:
#4 Old 09-12-2012, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Awesome info. Thanks again for the detailed write up.
#5 Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, kudos for taking on a big project! I've done a few installs but not as intricate (cutting brackets) as yours. I tend to break tabs here and there so i think im just going to start with a sub like you have. Thanks again for the write up!
#6 Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
If you sent me your current OEM speakers, and then had the new ones delivered to me, I'd do the modification for you, $50 for all six speakers (it does take some time). You would also need to pay the shipping for me to send you the completed, ready to drop in, speakers. Just thought I'd offer that option if you don't think the work is your thing.

Wes
2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV Metallic Slate with Navigation

Last edited by westly197; 09-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to westly197 For This Useful Post:
#7 Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westly197 View Post
If you sent me your current OEM speakers, and then had the new ones delivered to me, I'd do the modification for you, $50 for all six speakers (it does take some time). You would also need to pay the shipping for me to send you the completed, ready to drop in, speakers. Just thought I'd offer that option if you don't think the work is your thing.
Thats a very kind offer! Im going to see how the sub deal works out for me first, then i'll decide if im going to swap out my other seperate speakers. Thanks again for the offer though.
#8 Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 AM

(Thread Starter)
For more photos showing the modification of the trim rings, see my post in the Juke forums with an almost identical speaker:

2012 Juke Door Speaker Upgrade

Wes
#9 Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 AM

OP-Great write-up

you can also buy something like this if you don't want to tear up your current speakers....6˝" 6.5 6 1/2 6.75 Nissan Infiniti Speaker Mount Plates Adapters Brackets Ring | eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak67 View Post
Let's get this straight.

You're an Indian and I'm an Indian.
Difference is that you're the 7-Eleven kind and I'm the alcoholic kind.

[Apu]Thank you, come again![/Apu]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ankit For This Useful Post:
#10 Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 AM

(Thread Starter)
I thought about using something like that, but then I would have needed to cut the factory wires and find a place to run them into the door. I wish I could have found a jack for the factory plug, then I migh have gone that route. I guess if you're running new wire and amps it would not matter.

Wes
#11 Old 09-19-2012, 05:28 PM

do you mean something like this?
NISSAN INFINITI 2004-UP Speaker Harness Adapter Connector | eBay

I just cut the factory harness off and crimped on these things:

Your install looks great though, I'm just trying to give others options incase they wanted to keep their factory speakers intact (just incase they plan on reselling or returning leased car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak67 View Post
Let's get this straight.

You're an Indian and I'm an Indian.
Difference is that you're the 7-Eleven kind and I'm the alcoholic kind.

[Apu]Thank you, come again![/Apu]
#12 Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, that ebay item looks really close, but the pins do look like they are slightly further towards the center. I was told by Crutchfields that they are different and the older ones do not fit my car, still it looks really, really close. Almost makes me want to try it, lol. Doesn't make sense to change it to something so close and not have it be the same.

I know most just cut the factory wires, but I didn't want to cut the factory wires. Also if my Nav Stereo ever fails, it's not cheap. So I might buy the factory speakers and put them back if I'm worried they would try to blame the failure on the speakers and not uphold the warranty. That's also one reason why I went with the same rating speaker.

Wes
#13 Old 09-25-2012, 04:19 PM

I have the SV with nav and i am very disappointed in the audio. Not convinced changing the speakers will help. Before you changed out everything, did it sound "tinny" kinda like listening to a mono source in an abandoned warehouse? My XM sounds the worst. The XM in my Z going through a FM modulator sounds better. The FM sounds better. CD is not that great either. Really worried it is the headunit and not the speakers.

Is anyone elses XM terrible quality?

03 350Z Crawford 265 Cams, Plenum, Headers, Cats, Big Bore TB, Fujitsubo Ti Exhaust, TS ECU, JWT Intake, Clutch, Flywheel
09 Xterra X - 6MT
2013 Altima 2.5 SV Storm Blue
#14 Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
To me it sounds 100% better, though XM is not as good as it should be, I'll give you that. Not having XM before I don't have much to go on, but it sounds over compressed to me, like a very low sampled MP3. The original speakers had no High's, no Lows, and very muddy and dull everything else. My previous system was a $1500 Clairion Navagation system with about 200 RMS .005 THD watts to Infinity Kappas and the same Sub. To me the Altima comes amazingly close for what it is, and I kinda like the JBL speakers better. It's not the same as with the amp power, but it does sound very good. It lacks some of the power and clarity, but I'm happy with it, and is so, soooo much better then the stock speakers. I just could not be happy at all with the stock speakers or even the Bose speakers.

Wes

Last edited by westly197; 09-25-2012 at 05:02 PM.
#15 Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 AM

I just installed new speakers in my new 2013. I was wondering if you have tried taking rear door panel? I was wondering if we have speaker wires in there. I know we don't have speakers. I would want to put some Polk MM651's in there as well. Also did anyone figure out the speaker wire diagram? which wire is + and which is -.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode