Aftermarket Navigation Tablet Install - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb Aftermarket Navigation Tablet Install

I'm very interested in the 2013 Altima. I've never been a fan of market pre-installed nav systems because they are extremely overpriced and almost never have as many features as a Garmin, or even Google Maps w/Nav on my phone (which I use now).

While I am considering spending the $1000+ for the pre-installed nav system by Nissan, I have read many negative reviews about it...

Do you think it would be possible to buy this car new, and then immediately install an after market nav / tablet device? I was thinking of installing the new Nexus 7 which has Google Maps w/Nav and free real-time traffic without a superscription. On top of that I can always go through my music collection on the device, check my email, or even play angry birds (while parked of course)

Would anyone here recommend this or advise against it? Any idea how much it would cost? The tablet itself is $200 so labor would be on top of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
First off, the Nav. system is like $590, so depending on what options you wanted anyway, it's not that overpriced.

Second, I don't think they have a kit out for the 2013 to allow an aftermarket unit to fit, and without a kit it will be quite hard to install one and have it look decent. The kits you see that say they fit several years models including the 2013 are not going to work. The 2013 is totally different. Also the OEM Navagation has all the knobs outside the standard double din area, which is kinda nice.

Third, The Nissan Nav. also sends data to the screen between the gauges, so who knows if any of that uses the connection from the stereo, would probably be safer to go with a lower model stereo if upgrading to aftermarket and you won't get that useful feature. There's always a chance other things won't work on that screen on in the car.

Forth, The Nissan Nav. system is controlled by the steering wheel buttons, so you either need a kit or will loose that function.

Fifth, the speakers are 2 Ohm, so you will want to make sure any aftermarket system can handle that, or better yet, replace them because the don't sound great anyway.

I have the Nissan Nav. system and like it, thought it doesn't do everything my previous aftermerket NAV did. I did replace all my speakers with 2 Ohm JBL's and they sound great!

Wes
2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV Metallic Slate with Navigation

Last edited by westly197; 09-24-2012 at 09:20 PM.
#3 Old 09-24-2012, 10:55 PM

I'm not much of an audiophile so forgive my naivety. You replaced the stock Bose speakers (keeping the Nav head unit) with JBL's and the sound difference is quite noticeable (with both being 2 ohm)?

I am also curious if you replaced all 9 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westly197 View Post
I have the Nissan Nav. system and like it, thought it doesn't do everything my previous aftermerket NAV did. I did replace all my speakers with 2 Ohm JBL's and they sound great!
#4 Old 09-25-2012, 02:32 AM

You can of course keep the factory audio and custom install a 7" tablet to connect to the Aux input. You gain more function but lost the clean look of the factory system.

More is not always better in a car. Tablet's interface was not designed for drivers. Menu options are small and too many. It will take your attention away from the road.

Reliability is another consideration. Apps may crash from time to time. Factory Nav although simple, is generally very reliable. I had 2 garmin GPS and they frozen or require reboot once in a while. On the other hand, I had never seen any crash on the factory nav. When I first used a factory nav system, I was thinking the same. I missed the fancy functions of my garmins. However, after a while, I found myself loving the factory system's simple, clear and predictable interface and behaviour.

Factory system usually has better reception and they also get input from the car's speed wire. In areas where you lost Sat. signal for a short period, factory system could still keep your guidance without a break.

Real time traffic on the tablet is not really free. To get that you need an internet connection which means data plan charge. Even with Garmin free traffic, you need to bear with the advertisement pop up.
#5 Old 09-25-2012, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have the 3.5 SV with Navagation so it does not have the Bose speakers. I listened to the Bose and was not impressed. I only have six speakers, two in the front dash, two in the front doors, and two in the rear deck. I also added a sub, and am very happy with the results! Here are my posts on the install.
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/201...r-install.html
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/201...r-install.html

Wes
2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV Metallic Slate with Navigation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode