LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM
CGW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
XM Radio cost/features?

(My apologies if this isn't the right forum for this.)

It's my understanding that the 2013 Altimas come with 3-months' of XM Radio. Is that so? After that, what is the cost per month? Is XM Radio required for any vehicle features (e.g., Tech Package, traffic, weather, etc.)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 PM

If you are in US, $14.5 or $18.0 per month.
If you are in Canada, Cad$16.0 or Cad$20.0 per month.
However, you will receive multiple promotion offers in the next few months. They will offer you specials for under $10 a month for a period. There is also option for lifetime subscription for your car for something like $550.

My personal opinion is that XM will go out of business soon within the next few years. First, their channel line up was not that good. Secondly, their subscription is expensive while smartphone data plan is getting cheaper and cheaper. It would make better sense to listen to internet channels through the phone. People get much better selection through their phone with little difference in sound quality. Satellite radio's era is over. A 32G usb stick nowadays sold for less than 20 bucks and could hold ~8000 songs in very high quality no difference from CD. You could put every song you love on it and ask the car to play randomly. Why would anyone still need a satellite music channel? Same reason CD changers are disappearing in cars.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Honva For This Useful Post:
#3 Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think my last offer (since I never subscribed to the service) was $25USD for 6 months. So if you hold out you might get that offer in the mail.
About once a year they turn the thing on for two weeks hoping to get you hooked into buying a subscription. I am a good old fashion radio man so I have no plans to purchase XM/Sirius radio. -- on the flip side I do own shares of the company -- which begs the question why I have shares but not the service.

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV Saharan Stone w/o Convenience or Tech package.
#4 Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honva View Post
My personal opinion is that XM will go out of business soon within the next few years. First, their channel line up was not that good. Secondly, their subscription is expensive while smartphone data plan is getting cheaper and cheaper. It would make better sense to listen to internet channels through the phone. People get much better selection through their phone with little difference in sound quality. Satellite radio's era is over. A 32G usb stick nowadays sold for less than 20 bucks and could hold ~8000 songs in very high quality no difference from CD. You could put every song you love on it and ask the car to play randomly. Why would anyone still need a satellite music channel? Same reason CD changers are disappearing in cars.
I don't think satellite radio should be dead; it should become more like regular radio, free for the commercial sponsored channels with an option for pay channels. Both Radio and internet fade and fail in many areas, but satellite can reach just about anywhere there is not overhead obstruction. I would expect the natural order would be for radio to expand onto satellite and the big towers with limited reach to go away eventually. Remember too, radio is not just music, it's talk, news, a way to hear new stuff, etc, so people want more than just pre-recorded tracks.

Wes
2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV Metallic Slate with Navigation
#5 Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM
CGW

(Thread Starter)
What about traffic, weather, etc.? Does that require paid satellite service?
#6 Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGW View Post
What about traffic, weather, etc.? Does that require paid satellite service?
Yes, for the services displayed on the Altima Navagation unit, it requires you be subscribed to the Sirius/XM service.

Wes
2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV Metallic Slate with Navigation
#7 Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 AM
DisgruntledOwner Advocate

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My wifes 2011 Outlander came with 3 months. After that time she wanted to renew if they'd give us the $25 for 6 month subscription that they offer to everyone who lets it expire. They wouldn't give it to us, offering a new offer every 30 days over email, $14 a month, 11 a month, $8 a month...by the time they sent us the $25 for 6 month email we were no longer interested! As for service, it dropped out all the time like skipping. We're in the Philly suburbs, by no means a mountainous area with excellent 4G cell coverage everywhere we go. With XM you lose it under an overpass, heavy tree lined streets, no reason at all. Go with your free internet radio apps on your phone like pandora or spotify, they're as good or better IMO unless there's still any Howard Stern fans out there!

Current: 2014 Accord EX-L V6 - No problems, 11K
2013 SL - Lemon law buy back Tranny, Moonroof, Radio, Rattles.

Thanks Nissan for rejecting my buyback. I'd have gotten 1/2 of what my lawyer got me
#8 Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Paying for XM doesn't sound too interesting to me, although I suppose $25 for 6 months might be OK. I'll probably just stick with playing music and news podcasts from my phone though. It's too bad that HD radio isn't an option... while I've never actually listened to one, I like the idea. (I have listened to internet streams of some local HD radio stations, and there is content that I'm interested in)
#9 Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 AM

It's pretty cheap but having Bluetooth, Pandora, and the ability to plug in a hard drive beats XM radio any day. I think you get a 3 month free trial.
#10 Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 PM

I just paid $36 for a year of pandora. Much better quality than the XM in my Altima and i am not tied to a single device or vehicle.

As a past subscriber of XM, i dont even think it is worth the $25 for 6 months.

03 350Z Crawford 265 Cams, Plenum, Headers, Cats, Big Bore TB, Fujitsubo Ti Exhaust, TS ECU, JWT Intake, Clutch, Flywheel
09 Xterra X - 6MT
2013 Altima 2.5 SV Storm Blue
#11 Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM

I don't see myself using XM radio much. I've listened a few times but I'd much rather use pandora or my iPod. I would like to be able to use the traffic for navigation, but not having to pay for it.
#12 Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 PM
CGW

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandev00 View Post
It's pretty cheap but having Bluetooth, Pandora, and the ability to plug in a hard drive beats XM radio any day. I think you get a 3 month free trial.
If you plug in a portable hard drive -- or, more likely, a USB thumbdrive -- containing music...does the Altima play it?
#13 Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGW View Post
If you plug in a portable hard drive -- or, more likely, a USB thumbdrive -- containing music...does the Altima play it?
yes. In the this thread someone tried it and explained how to sort them on the drive so that you can play them
#14 Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 PM

I might let it expire when my 3 months are up but may renew it. I drive long distances at times and hate having to search for radio stations when I am feeling specific genres. I know I could just use my phone but for me XM has features I like.

Sports channels, MLB, NBA, NHL
News channels like MSNBC

I may wait it out to see a better deal. I know through AAA I can get a discount also.
#15 Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 AM

Garage
The only reason I'd consider XM at this point is traffic and weather.
As others have stated, I use Pandora and listen to audio books while I drive...

2013 Altima 2.5 SL + Tech in Metallic Slate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode