What octane gasoline are you putting in your 3.5? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What octane gasoline are you putting in your 3.5?

I'm reading some mixed things about what type of octane to use.

Still on my first tank from the dealer.. should I just stick with the 91?

Last edited by ryandev00; 10-09-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Why do anything different than what the manual suggests - written by the engineers that designed the engine.

2013 3.5 SL. DOB: 8/13/12
The Following User Says Thank You to PrDm For This Useful Post:
#3 Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM

#4 Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM

(Thread Starter)
Great article, I honestly had no idea what the difference was.
#5 Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Yeah, I put 87 in mine, no point wasting money...

Wes
2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV Metallic Slate with Navigation
#6 Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 AM
DisgruntledOwner Advocate

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Penny wise, dollar foolish

If you'll google it, you'll find 99% agree you should use premium if recommended. My VW passat called for 91 octane which you can't find around here (or anywhere in the states far as i know). I fell for a dealer trick telling me 91 is a European blend and they recommend using 89 unless I notice it knocking. Long story short, I did my first 5 tanks on 89 octane and averaged 21.3 mpg. On my first premium fill up of 93 octane I noticed a HUGE performance increase, it was like a differant car completely. Too boot after 5 fill ups on 93 I was at 26.4 mpg. At that time I was working a desk 60 highway miles away from home, the driving conditions were identical for all 10 fill ups. Hands down no brainer to go premium if that's what's called for. You may have a lower bill at the pump on 87, but you'll be at that pump more often. Try it yourself and post your findings...you'll see.

Current: 2014 Accord EX-L V6 - No problems, 11K
2013 SL - Lemon law buy back Tranny, Moonroof, Radio, Rattles.

Thanks Nissan for rejecting my buyback. I'd have gotten 1/2 of what my lawyer got me
#7 Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2back View Post
If you'll google it, you'll find 99% agree you should use premium if recommended. My VW passat called for 91 octane which you can't find around here (or anywhere in the states far as i know). I fell for a dealer trick telling me 91 is a European blend and they recommend using 89 unless I notice it knocking. Long story short, I did my first 5 tanks on 89 octane and averaged 21.3 mpg. On my first premium fill up of 93 octane I noticed a HUGE performance increase, it was like a differant car completely. Too boot after 5 fill ups on 93 I was at 26.4 mpg. At that time I was working a desk 60 highway miles away from home, the driving conditions were identical for all 10 fill ups. Hands down no brainer to go premium if that's what's called for. You may have a lower bill at the pump on 87, but you'll be at that pump more often. Try it yourself and post your findings...you'll see.
I agree. You should get better gas mileage with what the manual recommends. I also find that higher priced 93 octane or whatever pays for itself with the increased gas mileage, along with better performance and only if the manual calls for it. Only one way to find out, so put it to the test. I guess this reply was useless, if the v6 calls for 87 octane.

Last edited by dirt ninja; 10-10-2012 at 01:53 AM.
#8 Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 AM

Both the 2.5 and 3.5 Altima only calls for 87 Octane number. In US and Canada, gas stations post the Anti-Knock Index (AKI) as the Octane number. We are different from what European countries where gas stations use Research Octane Number (RON). 87 is what the manual recommended. i.e. just the cheaper regular unlead is required. Don't waste your money.
#9 Old 10-10-2012, 01:50 AM
DisgruntledOwner Advocate

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
So i didn't realize or research to see what the 3.5 calls for...I have a 2.5. If it's not recommended, I wouldn't use it. As I understand you won't see a differance if your engine doesn't need it and you're just wasting money. That said, if anyone wants to shell out the dough on premium for a month or 2 and post your findings I'd be interested to know

Current: 2014 Accord EX-L V6 - No problems, 11K
2013 SL - Lemon law buy back Tranny, Moonroof, Radio, Rattles.

Thanks Nissan for rejecting my buyback. I'd have gotten 1/2 of what my lawyer got me
#10 Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Correct, 87 is what is recommended, so it's penny wise, dollar wise to use 87. I agree that if your engine requires premium, then you should use premium, but this is not the case with the Altima. You should probably know this by now if you have an Altima, or at least have looked it up before making all those comments. I've had high compression engines and turbos that needed the higher octane, and on those all your responses are correct. I got better milage and avoided pinging by using the premium fuel on those engines. On cars needing regular, I see no no advantage at all. I had a boss that insisted on premium for the company car, so that's what we used for years. Later when gas prices went up, we switched to 87, no difference at all. I've actually seen a much bigger difference between brands of fuel. On a very poorly maintained company car, it ran fine on Shell or Chevron, but when we filled up at a Valero, the engine died every time we came to a stop and sputtered when trying to take off. Granted the spark plugs, cap, and rotor had about 100k on them and they were 30k plugs. I saw the plugs when they came out, amazing the car ran at all. With new plugs, it ran fine on the same tank of cheap gas, but I'd bet the MPG suffered some. We didn't buy any more gas there to find out.

Wes
2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV Metallic Slate with Navigation

Last edited by westly197; 10-10-2012 at 02:33 AM.
#11 Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honva View Post
Both the 2.5 and 3.5 Altima only calls for 87 Octane number. In US and Canada, gas stations post the Anti-Knock Index (AKI) as the Octane number. We are different from what European countries where gas stations use Research Octane Number (RON). 87 is what the manual recommended. i.e. just the cheaper regular unlead is required. Don't waste your money.
I have the 3.5 SL and the manual calls for 91 octane not 87.
#12 Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandev00 View Post
I have the 3.5 SL and the manual calls for 91 octane not 87.
Both the 2.5 and 3.5 shares the same manual. This is what it says on page 9-3:
"Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number
(Research octane number 91)."
It asked for 87 only. Is it different from what is on your manual?
#13 Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honva View Post
Both the 2.5 and 3.5 shares the same manual. This is what it says on page 9-3:
"Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number
(Research octane number 91)."
It asked for 87 only. Is it different from what is on your manual?
Maybe ryandev00 was interpreting "Research octane number 91" as 91 octane? I've never seen a gas pump around here (Texas) use the term AKI, so the terminology in the manual is kinda confusing. Instead, the octane label says something about the "(R+M)/2 method". That's actually the same thing as the AKI--it stands for (Research + Motor)/2, or in other words the average of two different ways of calculating the octane number. See the Wikipedia article on Octane ratings for more info. But basically in the US and Canada, pumps show the average of the two octane numbers (the AKI), but in other countries, pumps show the Research octane number. So the manual is just telling you both the AKI and the RON that the engine wants--if you're in a country where the pumps show the AKI, you want the gas that's labeled 87. If you're in a country where the pumps show the RON, you want the one that's labeled 91.

Edit: oh, I just noticed that Honva already explained AKI vs. RON in post #8

Edit 2: P.S. Agreed with those saying to just use 87, since the manual says that's all that's required. I'm still waiting for my 2.5SL, but my other car is a Lexus with a 3.5L V6. The manual uses the perhaps slightly clearer terminology "Octane rating 87 [Research Octane Number 91] or higher", and it runs great on the cheap stuff

Last edited by Quantum_Mech; 10-10-2012 at 06:00 AM.
#14 Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM

this thread belongs in early 4th gen forum. no reason for this to be even posted after nissan made both 2.5 and 3.5 engine run on same 87 gas.

2007 infiniti fx35, 2008 mercury mariner hybrid
nissan factory shop manuals
#15 Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Common sense advocate

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeene View Post
this thread belongs in early 4th gen forum. no reason for this to be even posted after nissan made both 2.5 and 3.5 engine run on same 87 gas.
This.

/thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode