Remote start stopped working - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Remote start stopped working

Let me preface this by saying I have used remote start almost every day to and from work for the 6 weeks I have owned this car, and it has worked flawlessly and with impressive range. This morning, it did not work, even as I stood inches away from the driver side door. Incidentally, it was probably the first time I actually needed to use it (it was the first night of freezing temperature at 29 F).

I'm hoping this was just some kind of computer glitch and not caused by cold weather, because that would kind of defeat the purpose of the feature.

I went into the dashboard menu and turned it off and back on, but I won't have time to test it until later today.

2013 Altima 2.5 SV
Added: 5000k HID lows; LEDs for license plate, doors, and courtesy lights; Weathertech mats; footwell lighting kit
To-Do list: HID fogs; 30% window tints; LED for glovebox light; debadge trunk; plastidip front and rear chrome trim; smoke tail lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Wow, deja vu. Mine did the same exact thing this morning after working the entire time I've had the car. I figured in my tiredness I just didn't press the ignition button all the way or long enough, since I start it out of view. That's still most likely the cause, but I haven't had time to test it either (nor did I try it standing next to the car).

Last edited by schwanz; 11-06-2012 at 08:10 PM.
#3 Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM

(Thread Starter)
Well, the good news is that it works again after "resetting" the setting in the menu. Not really acceptable for this to happen at all especially this early in the car's lifespan, but oh well. Not that big of a deal.

Oh and it was warm by the time I tried it so not sure if weather was a factor.

2013 Altima 2.5 SV
Added: 5000k HID lows; LEDs for license plate, doors, and courtesy lights; Weathertech mats; footwell lighting kit
To-Do list: HID fogs; 30% window tints; LED for glovebox light; debadge trunk; plastidip front and rear chrome trim; smoke tail lights
#4 Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM

did it work this morning?
#5 Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 PM
2013 SL Pearl White

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What do you mean by "resetting" the menu? Did the menu have to be reset because it defaulted to being off on its on?

I too have the same problem....sometimes the remote start works and sometimes it doesn't. The next day it will work fine and the next day it won't work. Can't figure it out. I have not "reset" the menu as apparently from what is happening this feature on the Altima is intermittent for some unknown reason.
#6 Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by altSERima View Post
did it work this morning?
Yes, it has been working fine since the reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_J View Post
What do you mean by "resetting" the menu? Did the menu have to be reset because it defaulted to being off on its on?

I too have the same problem....sometimes the remote start works and sometimes it doesn't. The next day it will work fine and the next day it won't work. Can't figure it out. I have not "reset" the menu as apparently from what is happening this feature on the Altima is intermittent for some unknown reason.
By resetting, I mean going into your dashboard menu and switching the feature off and back on. I saw this "fix" in another thread where the guy's remote start didn't work coming out of the dealership. Sorry, I don't know the exact steps but it should be pretty easy to find (I think it's in "Vehicle Settings"?)

2013 Altima 2.5 SV
#7 Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think I have the same problem. I just thought I may not know how to use it correctly.

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV Saharan Stone w/o Convenience or Tech package.
#8 Old 11-24-2012, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just discovered tonight it doesn't work if you leave the sunroof open (perhaps the windows too, but didn't test). I parked in the driveway leaving the roof open and let my kid start the car...didn't work. Thought he wasn't holding the button down all the way and tried it myself, it still didn't work. I thought "huh, that's weird" and then thought "maybe the sunroof being open is the problem" not that it should be, but Nissan's done stranger things. Closed the roof and bam, remote start no problem. Opened the roof, turned off the car and tried the RS again and no go. Closed the roof and RS no problem. Weird but true story. Anyone else feel like testing and confirming mines not broken would be apprecieated, but not necessary!

The Lemon: 2013 SL - Bad Tranny, Bad Moonroof, Bad Radio, Rattles like a tin can.
The Replacement: 2014 Accord EX-L V6 - Solid
Thanks Nissan for rejecting my repurchase request. I'd have gotten 1/2 of what my lawyer got me
#9 Old 11-24-2012, 04:37 AM

(Thread Starter)
Not sure about the sunroof but I can say that I have remote started the car successfully with the driver and front passenger windows down. I won't be testing the sunroof any time soon. Just got hit with some snow!

2013 Altima 2.5 SV
#10 Old 11-24-2012, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I lack a sunroof.

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV Saharan Stone w/o Convenience or Tech package.
#11 Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipn0tic View Post
Well, the good news is that it works again after "resetting" the setting in the menu. Not really acceptable for this to happen at all especially this early in the car's lifespan, but oh well. Not that big of a deal.

Oh and it was warm by the time I tried it so not sure if weather was a factor.
Exactly what happened to me and exactly how I fixed it.

2006 Mercedes E55 AMG (Eurocharged Tune)
2013 Maxima S (Now the wife's)

--------------------------------------------------
2013 Altima 2.5 SV (Same tranny problem-traded)
2013 Altima 2.5 S (Dealer bought back-Lemon)
2005 Maxima SE (Sold)
2003 Maxima SE (Sold)
2001 Maxima GLE (Sold)

#12 Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM

I just got my Altima this weekend and was really excited to use the remote start. After seeing it work at the dealership, I was disappointed when I couldn't get it to work at home, even after following the instructions. I checked the threads and tried everything to no avail, but when I tried the other intelligent key they gave me it worked fine. Has this happened to anyone else? Both keys lock and unlock all the doors fine, the only problem seems to be with the remote start. Any suggestions to try and fix it?

Thanks in advance!
#13 Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
There is a service bulletin regarding remote start. Don'tk now if this applies or not.

Subject: SB 2013 Altima Sedan; Remote Start Does Not Work
Summary of NTB12084:
SERVICE INFORMATION If the engine will not start when using the Intelligent Key's remote start feature, use the REPAIR FLOW CHART in this bulletin to assist in diagnosis. CLAIMS INFORMATION Refer to the current Nissan Warranty Flat Rate Manual and use the appropriate claims coding for repairs performed. See this bulletin for further detail.

2013 Alitma 2.5 S Super Black
Mods Wish List: DRL functionality (preferrably LED)
Mods Completed: Tinted Windows 35%, LED trunk lighting, HID headlights, OEM Fog Light Kit, LED interior lighting
#14 Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmeister007 View Post
I just got my Altima this weekend and was really excited to use the remote start. After seeing it work at the dealership, I was disappointed when I couldn't get it to work at home, even after following the instructions. I checked the threads and tried everything to no avail, but when I tried the other intelligent key they gave me it worked fine. Has this happened to anyone else? Both keys lock and unlock all the doors fine, the only problem seems to be with the remote start. Any suggestions to try and fix it?

Thanks in advance!
Did you try the suggestion above?

2006 Mercedes E55 AMG (Eurocharged Tune)
2013 Maxima S (Now the wife's)

--------------------------------------------------
2013 Altima 2.5 SV (Same tranny problem-traded)
2013 Altima 2.5 S (Dealer bought back-Lemon)
2005 Maxima SE (Sold)
2003 Maxima SE (Sold)
2001 Maxima GLE (Sold)

#15 Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 PM

I ended up taking it to the dealership, where of course it worked perfectly for them. Since they couldn't replicate the problem, they couldn't do anything, but the service guy said that if you turn the car on with remote start twice in a row without actually going into the car and hitting the start button then it disables the remote start. I was in a rush so I didn't get any specifics, but that particular key had never worked for me so unless they did that at the dealership right before I walked in to lease it this weekend then who knows what the problem could be. And I tried turning the option off then back on before I took it in again and that didn't work for me either. But, its working so I won't keep complaining much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode