1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-23-2012, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2046 View Post
Still I find it strange (not being a engineer) that the FIRST recommend oil for the four cylinder is 0W-20 and the FIRST recommended oil for the six cylinder is 5W-30. I was aware of the number (9) "footnote" in the manual page 9-2 "As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W30 conventional petroleum based oil may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty." ---

It is really not strange at all. Why is this? Because of EPA regulations. When vehicles are tested for CAFÉ one (of many) rule/s requires the vehicle manufacture to specify an oil weight that they recommend for consumers to use, and if the vehicle being fuel mileage tested is using that weight of oil.

This prevents the manufacture from ‘cheating’ by using a motor oil of lower viscosity, which improves fuel economy just a little bit. But, in CAFÉ testing, every little bit helps.

How Vehicles Are Tested

Here is an interesting read about CAFÉ.

The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates - Feature - Car and Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-24-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_J View Post
Did the dealer give you an option of regular oil or synthetic oil? Or is only synthetic oil used now at all Nissan dealerships.

I'm in NC and just wondering if this is a regional or a national policy?
Personally, I would prefer synthetic oil as it has much better cold and hot properties of regular (dinosaur) oil.
I had my service done in OKC dealership for a couple recalls and free oil change.They told me they use 5w30 mobil conventional.I ask for 0w20 synthetic and he told me that would be a extra $45.00.When they were finished I told him I will doing my oil changes and tire rotation for now.He said just keep a documation and be sure and use 0w20 to keep your warranty good.Go figure
#18 Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d cleve View Post
I had my service done in OKC dealership for a couple recalls and free oil change.They told me they use 5w30 mobil conventional.I ask for 0w20 synthetic and he told me that would be a extra $45.00.When they were finished I told him I will doing my oil changes and tire rotation for now.He said just keep a documation and be sure and use 0w20 to keep your warranty good.Go figure
I checked with my dealer about the synrthetic oil and they said it would cost about $70. I asked him what it would cost if I brought my own oil in. He said it would be about $25 if I furnished the oil. Walmart had the Mobil 1 for about $35 per 5 quart jug. That would make it about $10 cheaper if I furnish my own oil. Of course there is the expense of going to Wal Mart to be factored in.

They also give me a free oil change every other time I go in. I would only be out the price of the oil that change.
#19 Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 AM
LOL AWD

Pennzoil Ultra is cheaper and by all tests looks to be a better oil.
Give it a try!
35 bucks for a jug of M1 is obnoxious.

My snail eats rice

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo
The Following User Says Thank You to fishbone For This Useful Post:
#20 Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 AM

Filter wrench recommendation

If you choose to do your own first oil change I suggest the cap style wrench that attaches to a 3/8 ratchet...it's 5.99 at auto zone....it won't cut the factory filter that was installed without an oil on the gasket.....and almost impossible to remove by your bare hands.
#21 Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Owners manual - Four Cylinder Engine Oil Warranty Requirements

For previous d cleve post
Quote from dealer: "He said just keep a documentation and be sure and use 0w20 to keep your warranty good." "Go figure"

As noted below, use of 5W30 conventional petroleum based oil may be used and will meet Warranty Requirements.

For Altima 2013 Four Cylinder (Only)

Owners Manual page 9-2

For QR25DE engine models:
Engine oil with API Certification Mark (Footnote 1)
Viscosity SAE OW-20 (Footnote (9)
HOWEVER --- Footnote (9) reads:

"As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W30 Conventional petroleum based oil may be used AND meet all specifications AND requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

Personally I will go with the 0W-20 Synthetic which can be obtained from a well known discount store and change it myself, at least for the first 10+K miles or so. Above footnote spells out 5W30 "Conventional" as OK for Warranty. I do wonder if 5W30 "Synthetic" would keep the Warranty, and why was that not mentioned in the footnote. Is it me or Nissan who is being picky? As I have posted previously, my local Nissan Dealer Parts Dept does not have 0W-20 oil in stock to sell me. (As of Nov 2012)

PS I have noticed that the Owners Manual does not have a oil type and temperature chart layout (diagram) as is commonly shown in every other auto, lawnmower, bush cutter etc etc manual that I have seen. But -- I haven't seen other new car manuals that reference "Conventional and Synthetic oil -- so maybe (or maybe not) a chart layout would be confusing to make.
#22 Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2046 View Post
For previous d cleve post
Quote from dealer: "He said just keep a documentation and be sure and use 0w20 to keep your warranty good." "Go figure"

As noted below, use of 5W30 conventional petroleum based oil may be used and will meet Warranty Requirements.

For Altima 2013 Four Cylinder (Only)

Owners Manual page 9-2

For QR25DE engine models:
Engine oil with API Certification Mark (Footnote 1)
Viscosity SAE OW-20 (Footnote (9)
HOWEVER --- Footnote (9) reads:

"As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W30 Conventional petroleum based oil may be used AND meet all specifications AND requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

Personally I will go with the 0W-20 Synthetic which can be obtained from a well known discount store and change it myself, at least for the first 10+K miles or so. Above footnote spells out 5W30 "Conventional" as OK for Warranty. I do wonder if 5W30 "Synthetic" would keep the Warranty, and why was that not mentioned in the footnote. Is it me or Nissan who is being picky? As I have posted previously, my local Nissan Dealer Parts Dept does not have 0W-20 oil in stock to sell me. (As of Nov 2012)

PS I have noticed that the Owners Manual does not have a oil type and temperature chart layout (diagram) as is commonly shown in every other auto, lawnmower, bush cutter etc etc manual that I have seen. But -- I haven't seen other new car manuals that reference "Conventional and Synthetic oil -- so maybe (or maybe not) a chart layout would be confusing to make.
When I change my oil with 0w20 mobil 1 it seems to be getting better gas milage and sounds a little better.When I worked at a ford dealership 15 years ago when the thinner oil was coming out. Ford told us the engine is built tighter and you shouldn't use 10w30 in them because of the friction between the parts are so tight,something to think about.My intown driving in the last 3 days went from 27.2 to 28 miles per gallon

Last edited by d cleve; 12-02-2012 at 03:07 PM.
#23 Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 PM
LOL AWD

Current 2.5 is a carryover from previous gen that specced 5w30

My snail eats rice

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo
#24 Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieScot View Post
I checked with my dealer about the synrthetic oil and they said it would cost about $70. I asked him what it would cost if I brought my own oil in. He said it would be about $25 if I furnished the oil. Walmart had the Mobil 1 for about $35 per 5 quart jug. That would make it about $10 cheaper if I furnish my own oil. Of course there is the expense of going to Wal Mart to be factored in.

They also give me a free oil change every other time I go in. I would only be out the price of the oil that change.
Last time I checked, Mobil1 5 quart jug of 0-20w @ walmart ran a little over $25, not $35.
Maxima2012 likes this.

2000 Corolla VE MT White (Traded-in)
2011 Highlander Limited V6 AWD Metallic Grey
2013 Altima 2.5 SL Storm Blue
#25 Old 11-28-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctommy View Post
Last time I checked, Mobil1 5 quart jug of 0-20w @ walmart ran a little over $25, not $35.
You are absolutely correct. I am not sure where I left my brain when I posted that. I knew the price was about $5 per quart which would be $25 per jug. Thanks for looking after me.
#26 Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 PM

FYI for the people in the Seattle area, manager @ bellevue nissan responded to my inquiry: "As of now Nissan only approves us to use 5w-30 on maintenance oil changes for the Altima"

#27 Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Dealer Oil Change

Here in Maryland dealer is rec. 0W30 - did cost $55.00+tax because of the fact they say nissan is recommending full synthetic with ester oil - anyone else get this?
#28 Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt1000 View Post
Here in Maryland dealer is rec. 0W30 - did cost $55.00+tax because of the fact they say nissan is recommending full synthetic with ester oil - anyone else get this?
Key word: recommending. One of the dumb dealer near me says recommend but not requires and therefore according to their service manager told me:

"As of now Nissan only approves us to use 5w-30 on maintenance oil changes for the Altima"

#29 Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctommy View Post
FYI for the people in the Seattle area, manager @ bellevue nissan responded to my inquiry: "As of now Nissan only approves us to use 5w-30 on maintenance oil changes for the Altima"
Out of curiosity, did you buy a scheduled maintenance plan when you bough the car?

When doing the paperwork, they pushed the pre-paid scheduled maintenance and the gal made a special point of telling me how good the deal was because it included the recommended synthetic oil, and if I paid for oil changes individually, they would cost much more.

I passed on the plan because I do my own oil changes with 0W20 synthetic, but once you pre-pay for the plan, Nissan may not like to reimburse the dealer for the more expensive oil.
#30 Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwstnsko View Post
Out of curiosity, did you buy a scheduled maintenance plan when you bough the car?

When doing the paperwork, they pushed the pre-paid scheduled maintenance and the gal made a special point of telling me how good the deal was because it included the recommended synthetic oil, and if I paid for oil changes individually, they would cost much more.

I passed on the plan because I do my own oil changes with 0W20 synthetic, but once you pre-pay for the plan, Nissan may not like to reimburse the dealer for the more expensive oil.
No I didn't pay for one. I have the pre-order deal which gave people the Maintenance Gold Schedule 2, 3 year 45k miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode