1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First Oil Change

I saw a post on here a while back regarding oil changes. Could find the original post, so I created another...

I took my car to a Nissan dealership to have the oil changed. On the receipt, I saw that they had used 5w-30 instead of 0w-20 as specified in the manual.

I knew that 5w-30 is a substitute, but I asked why was that put in. The response I got was that it doesn't get as cold here (I'm in AL), so the lower weight oil isn't really a requirement. Also it would have been double the amount to have the oil changed for 0w-20 instead of 5w-30 since it is synthetic.

2013 Alitma 2.5 S Super Black
Mods Wish List: DRL functionality (preferrably LED)
Mods Completed: Tinted Windows 35%, LED trunk lighting, HID headlights, OEM Fog Light Kit, LED interior lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2012, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't post link from another Nissan forum

Last edited by lmarquina; 11-20-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: wrong link
#3 Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 PM

#4 Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 AM

I had my first oil change 2 weeks ago and had the same experience. I was watching the tech through the window in the waiting room, and I saw him use Mobil One 0W-20. A call to the service manager the next day confirmed what I knew - they used the right oil, but spit out the wrong sticker info. BTW - the 0W-20 mobil 1 oil is easy to spot - it's the only mobil 1 container with the bright green cap.

My 2 cents - if you didn't request a specific oil - you should at least expect the dealer to use the recommended oil from the manual - which is the 0-20. I would ask them to do it again with the oil you want.

Super Black/Charcoal
BT Design trunk light kit, OEM F&R Splash Guards
#5 Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwispy View Post
I had my first oil change 2 weeks ago and had the same experience. I was watching the tech through the window in the waiting room, and I saw him use Mobil One 0W-20. A call to the service manager the next day confirmed what I knew - they used the right oil, but spit out the wrong sticker info. BTW - the 0W-20 mobil 1 oil is easy to spot - it's the only mobil 1 container with the bright green cap.
Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Ecomomy also has the bright green cap.

0W-30 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy
#6 Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Ecomomy also has the bright green cap.

0W-30 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy
The car gets 38mpg by milking efficiency everywhere, including using 'thinner' oil to reduce friction.
Your mpg may go DOWN two percent with heavier oil.

Last edited by dville; 11-20-2012 at 10:40 PM.
#7 Old 11-21-2012, 04:57 PM
2013 SL Pearl White

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did the dealer give you an option of regular oil or synthetic oil? Or is only synthetic oil used now at all Nissan dealerships.

I'm in NC and just wondering if this is a regional or a national policy?
Personally, I would prefer synthetic oil as it has much better cold and hot properties of regular (dinosaur) oil.
#8 Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_J View Post
Did the dealer give you an option of regular oil or synthetic oil? Or is only synthetic oil used now at all Nissan dealerships.

I'm in NC and just wondering if this is a regional or a national policy?
Personally, I would prefer synthetic oil as it has much better cold and hot properties of regular (dinosaur) oil.
They didn't ask which type of oil I wanted to be put in. Had I asked, I'm sure that they would have done so. Next time I'll try to watch and see what they put in the car. As I stated, they said that synthetic oil would have cost me double (don't know why since synthetic doesn't cost that much more than traditional).

One of the mechanics explained that the 5w-30 would be better in the colder weather since it is heavier and would stick better to the parts. Doesn't make complete sense to me, since in the last vehicle that I had, it was recommended that a lower weigh old be use during the winter and the recommended oil be used during the summer.

2013 Alitma 2.5 S Super Black
Mods Wish List: DRL functionality (preferrably LED)
Mods Completed: Tinted Windows 35%, LED trunk lighting, HID headlights, OEM Fog Light Kit, LED interior lighting
#9 Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharam04 View Post
They didn't ask which type of oil I wanted to be put in. Had I asked, I'm sure that they would have done so. Next time I'll try to watch and see what they put in the car. As I stated, they said that synthetic oil would have cost me double (don't know why since synthetic doesn't cost that much more than traditional).

One of the mechanics explained that the 5w-30 would be better in the colder weather since it is heavier and would stick better to the parts. Doesn't make complete sense to me, since in the last vehicle that I had, it was recommended that a lower weigh old be use during the winter and the recommended oil be used during the summer.
Hmm thats what I thought also. Heavier in summer because the heat breaks it down and thinner in winter. Although some are using thinner in general to get mpg. Mechanic must have been a sales person doing double duty as a mechanic.
#10 Old 11-22-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwispy View Post

My 2 cents - if you didn't request a specific oil - you should at least expect the dealer to use the recommended oil from the manual - which is the 0-20. I would ask them to do it again with the oil you want.
Which dealership did you go to?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2000 Corolla VE MT White (Traded-in)
2011 Highlander Limited V6 AWD Metallic Grey
2013 Altima 2.5 SL Storm Blue
#11 Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nissan Dealer Parts Dept did not have 0W-20 oil

My 2013 SL 2.5 Altima was delivered in Oct. Everything checked out except that the motor oil level was 4/10 of one quart lower than "full". (Between the low and full mark on the dip stick.) The owners manual for the 2013 4 cylinder first recommends 0W-20 oil but 5W-30 oil may be used. Because the car is new and is being broken in I wanted to "top-off" the level with oil from Nissan (Whatever brand that may be.) TWO Nissan Dealers parts dept in Southern Virginia did not have 0W-20 oil. Both parts dept had a mechanic come out and tell me that the 5W-30 oil was being used and that the 0W-20 synthetic was only for mileage / efficiency. Of course I wonder why the Nissan owners manual plainly emphasizes that recommended oil for the 2013 4 cylinder is 0W-20 and the same manual recommends 5W-30 for the 6 cylinder.

Last edited by BC2046; 11-30-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Revision to above original post. (Changed 5W-20 to 5W-30)
#12 Old 11-22-2012, 05:47 PM
LOL AWD

The engine is mostly a carry-over from the previous gens which specced 5w30.
Nissan specced 0w20 this time around because it is quite a thin oil and they were able to advertise good mpg numbers.
5w30 is perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about it. If you prefer 0w20, next time tell them.
There is nothing mechanically wrong with it; Nissan recommends 0w20 so that customers won't run the dealer bitching about mpg.
In fact you can even run 10w30 in the winter with no ill effect.

My snail eats rice

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo
#13 Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
[QUOTE=BC2046;4309151]My 2013 SL 2.5 Altima was delivered in Oct. Everything checked out except that the motor oil level was 4/10 of one quart lower than "full". (Between the low and full mark on the dip stick.) The owners manual for the 2013 4 cylinder first recommends 0W-20 oil but 5W-20 oil may be used. Because the car is new and is being broken in I wanted to "top-off" the level with oil from Nissan (Whatever brand that may be.) TWO Nissan Dealers parts dept in Southern Virginia did not have 0W-20 oil. Both parts dept had a mechanic come out and tell me that the 5W-20 oil was being used and that the 0W-20 synthetic was only for mileage / efficiency. Of course I wonder why the Nissan owners manual plainly emphasizes that recommended oil for the 2013 4 cylinder is 0W-20 and the same manual recommends 5W-20 for the 6 cylinder.[/QUOTE]

Actually, here is what the 2013 Nissan Altima Owner’s Manual, Printing : July 2012 (04) says about motor oil:

CAPACITIES AND RECOMMENDED FUEL/LUBRICANTS

9-2 Technical and consumer information

For QR25DE engine models:
• Engine oil with API Certification Mark *1
• Viscosity SAE 0W-20 *1, *9

*1: For further details, see “Engine oil and oil filter recommendations” in this section.
*9: As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W30 conventional petroleum based oil may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

For VQ35DE engine models:
• Engine oil with API Certification Mark *1, *7
• Viscosity SAE 5W-30 *1, *7

*1: For further details, see “Engine oil and oil filter recommendations” in this section.
*7: NISSAN recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Oil available at a NISSAN dealer. As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W30 or SAE 10W30 conventional petroleum based oils may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

As a side note, Genuine Nisan Ester 5W-30, available only from Nissan is very expensive; therefore very few people pay extra to use it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Throckmorton For This Useful Post:
#14 Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM
nsx

guys, i used the mobil 1 ow-20 and 30 on my other family cars. The best place to source them is your local walmart. If they don't carry them, just order them online and ship it up at your local walmart. If the dealership have a hard time to order the right oil, you should point that out.
#15 Old 11-23-2012, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Two South East Virginia Nissan dealers parts did not have 0W-20 oil

Sorry -- with my bifocals I incorrectly wrote 5W-20 when I should have wrote 5W-30. (as the SECOND recommended oil) for a 2013 Altima four cylinder. I guess I was so hung up on my (two) local South East Virginia Nissan dealer parts dept's NOT having in stock the FIRST Nissan recommended oil (0W-20) for the 2013 four cylinder Altima. So of course if you had those dealers change the oil they may would not use that (at any price). As stated, because the car I own is now still being broken in, I wanted to "top off" with the ORIGINAL type oil that Nissan built the car with before changing to anything else. I did buy Mobile 1 (OW-20) from my local Autozone dealer. Because I have seen name brand 5W-30 oil at steep discounts I may consider using it in the future instead of 0W-20. However my main concern is engine protection more than a small increase in mileage. Still I find it strange (not being a engineer) that the FIRST recommend oil for the four cylinder is 0W-20 and the FIRST recommended oil for the six cylinder is 5W-30. I was aware of the number (9) "footnote" in the manual page 9-2 "As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W30 conventional petroleum based oil may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty." --- As noted above I incorrectly wrote 5W-20 not 5W-30.

The owners manual pages 9-2, 9-5 and 9-6 outlines oil recommendations as:

Four Cylinder oil (First) 0W-20 with *SAE 5W-30 OK to use as noted above.
Six Cylinder oil (First) 5W-30 with *SAE 10W-30 OK to use

To determine TYPE of oil (Ester / Synthetic, or conventional oil) Nissan recommends refer to owners manual page 9-2 with asterisks and footnotes, four cylinder see (1) )and (9), Six cylinder see (1) and (7). For info, the six cylinder note (7) "IN PART" NISSAN recommends "Genuine NISSAN Ester Oil available at a NISSAN dealer. ---------".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode