Low Gas Mileage - Page 2 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharam04 View Post
Initially my gas mileage was lower when I first got the car. It has improved over time.

I will say that my mileage had decreased since the weather has gotten colder (i assume due to the car running at a higher RPM to warm up faster)
Does the pnw have different blend summer to winter? I know it can contain up to 10% ethanol but not sure if they change the blend depending on seasons like California does.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2000 Corolla VE MT White (Traded-in)
2011 Highlander Limited V6 AWD Metallic Grey
2013 Altima 2.5 SL Storm Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 01:02 PM

I purchased a Altima S a few months ago. I have seen a small drop off in gas milage over the same interstate roads. When it was new I would average 38-40 mpg going from Richmond to Norfolk and back going around 70-75 mph. Now my average seems to be consistently 35-37 mpg. Nothing has changed.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Mileage

Talking with dealer about low mpg and vibration issue. I have been experimenting and went on road trip yesterday about 80 miles. I was able to average 36 mpg, but this was staying in sport mode mode the majority of time. Seems much smoother and engine seems to run at lower rpm at cruising speed in sport mode. Leaning toward this being a software issue. Dealer checked and there were no service bulletins on my car. He said it was odd since it is a 2.5 sl w/ tech package built in Canton around 1st week of August and there was a tcm software update on many of the early delivery cars. I am new to CVT, so who knows, it may just be my imagination.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad yeah View Post
Talking with dealer about low mpg and vibration issue. I have been experimenting and went on road trip yesterday about 80 miles. I was able to average 36 mpg, but this was staying in sport mode mode the majority of time. Seems much smoother and engine seems to run at lower rpm at cruising speed in sport mode. Leaning toward this being a software issue. Dealer checked and there were no service bulletins on my car. He said it was odd since it is a 2.5 sl w/ tech package built in Canton around 1st week of August and there was a tcm software update on many of the early delivery cars. I am new to CVT, so who knows, it may just be my imagination.
I would call Nissan just to make sure. I think that's close to the cutoff for the TCM update that the dealer was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctommy View Post
Does the pnw have different blend summer to winter? I know it can contain up to 10% ethanol but not sure if they change the blend depending on seasons like California does.

All regions use a different blend for winter and summer months. I think that California is the only state that has stricter guidelines that have to be followed in regards to fuel emissions.

2013 Alitma 2.5 S Super Black
Mods Wish List: DRL functionality (preferrably LED)
Mods Completed: Tinted Windows 35%, LED trunk lighting, HID headlights, OEM Fog Light Kit, LED interior lighting
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 PM

MPG's report at 1200 miles

75% highway driving......33.5 mpg actual recorded vs 37.7 onboard computer reported...that is annoying.....I would rather have an accurate read on the computer..
This was recorded filling tank to brim after 400 miles of the mixed driving.....no a/c, gentle take offs keeping 70 and under in most cases..Gas used has 10 % ethanol.
I am using the instant mpg indicator as a reminder to keep a light right foot.
Tires are also inflated at 40 psi as delivered from dealership.
When driving straight highway it was possible to average over 40 mpg.....but that goes away of course once stop and go driving occurs.
Like others have stated, it's more of a game to get the best mpgs on a nice sized car that can move when needed.....and I do when I have too.
So far it's beating my former car , a 2.3 liter, smaller , slower, and not as comfortable or sharp...
Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 AM

I hand calculated my mileage and found the display to be pessimistic by 1-1.5 mpg. When the gauge says 34.5 I really am gettin 36. I did a 1,200 mile trip which was mainly highway with a bit of city and many extended sitting idle times and got 36 mpg. I get 28-29 mpg with strictly city driving.

'01 Maxima GLE Great Car (Sold)
'03 Maxima SE Great Car (Sold)
'05 Maxima SE Decent Car (Sold)
'13 Altima 2.5 S (Dealer bought back-Lemon)
'13 Altima 2.5 SV (Same tranny problem-traded)
'13 Maxima S This will be my last Nissan (Current)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
If I am cruising at 70 - 75 mph the rpm is staying slightly above 2000.
I am late to this thread, but I posted an old thread about RPMs and speed.
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/201...ml#post4288420

It might be useful to compare RPMs

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV Saharan Stone w/o Convenience or Tech package.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM

I just got back from driving 1500 miles 750 each way... i got 40.1 mpg going and 36 coming back... can not complain about that..
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM

I've posted about this before, but I also have a 2.5 SL, tech package, and am getting results a good bit lower than expected. My computer is always optomistic, anywhere between 0.2 and 4.0 mpg high. I tend to be a little fanatical about this, since the mpg was a big factor in me choosing the Altima over several others. Anyway, my mpg's, per tank, since new, are as follows:

I realize there are some decent numbers there, however you'll notice that they're typically butted up to a really low number, meaning the pump cutoff probably factored in there (it all averages out in the end). I have a very careful driving style, and with every other car I've owned, have never had a problem achieving the advertised mpg. I drive 90%+ hwy, between 60 and 70 mph. No quick takeoffs, no high aceleration passing.

Looking at fuelly.com, that seems to also be the case. The highest I saw was 36, but most seem to be high 20's, low 30's. Granted, I don't know driving styles, but I see people here bragging on this one trip where they got 40 mpg....I just took a long trip, according to the computer, I averaged 36. I will fill up today and fully expect to see a 34.

Long story short, for those of you posting any numbers, would you please tell us 1) what model you have, 2)if the reading you're showing is the computer or manual, and 3) What your overall numbers are, not just that one blessed tank where you managed to overfill and not spill.

Thanks!

Last edited by aubrian; 11-28-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM

My wife gets between 31-33mpg (hand calculated) 80/20 fwy/city. However she has traffic on the way home (80 miles rt) which kills the mpg. Avg mph on the screen shows roughly 34-35mph.

60-70mph on fwy, light footed.

2000 Corolla VE MT White (Traded-in)
2011 Highlander Limited V6 AWD Metallic Grey
2013 Altima 2.5 SL Storm Blue
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrian View Post
I've posted about this before, but I also have a 2.5 SL, tech package, and am getting results a good bit lower than expected. My computer is always optomistic, anywhere between 0.2 and 4.0 mpg high. I tend to be a little fanatical about this, since the mpg was a big factor in me choosing the Altima over several others. Anyway, my mpg's, per tank, since new, are as follows:

I realize there are some decent numbers there, however you'll notice that they're typically butted up to a really low number, meaning the pump cutoff probably factored in there (it all averages out in the end). I have a very careful driving style, and with every other car I've owned, have never had a problem achieving the advertised mpg. I drive 90%+ hwy, between 60 and 70 mph. No quick takeoffs, no high aceleration passing.

Looking at fuelly.com, that seems to also be the case. The highest I saw was 36, but most seem to be high 20's, low 30's. Granted, I don't know driving styles, but I see people here bragging on this one trip where they got 40 mpg....I just took a long trip, according to the computer, I averaged 36. I will fill up today and fully expect to see a 34.

Long story short, for those of you posting any numbers, would you please tell us 1) what model you have, 2)if the reading you're showing is the computer or manual, and 3) What your overall numbers are, not just that one blessed tank where you managed to overfill and not spill.

Thanks!
For the 40+ MPG rating that I got (pictures and details of that are posted on another thread on this site), it was based upon the car's computer, driving 90% highway with speeds ranging between 60-75mph and 10% city. During some of the trip, I was following an 18 wheeler, so some hypermiling may have happened. The total distance that I drove and achieved that rating was about 175 miles.

Mods Completed: Tinted Windows 35%, LED trunk lighting, HID headlights, OEM Fog Light Kit, LED interior lighting
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 PM

Tad yeah - I am getting the same RPMs. Did 130 miles today 74-76 mph and my rpms were about 2100 with cruise on in D. Started out at 29.0 average on the computer and ended with 30.5. 3144 miles, just had the trans reprogram done almost 2 weeks ago.
Really thought I would get closer to 40 on this trip.

Around town to work & back is about 24 miles 80% highway and it stays about 28-29 average on the computer.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 AM

Update

Made a trip from Columbus,GA to Atlanta, 80 miles Interstate averaging 70 - 75 mph. 34 mpg on the display. So I say it is pretty consistent 33mpg on Highway and 22 mpg City. So I can average about 26 - 27 combined. Roughly 5 mpg lower than specs state. Will let you guys know what I find out from the dealer.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Made a trip from Columbus,GA to Atlanta, 80 miles Interstate averaging 70 - 75 mph. 34 mpg on the display. So I say it is pretty consistent 33mpg on Highway and 22 mpg City. So I can average about 26 - 27 combined. Roughly 5 mpg lower than specs state. Will let you guys know what I find out from the dealer.
Where you using E10 gasonline? Those sound close to the numbers that you will get using that gas instead of E0 gasoline.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharam04 View Post
Where you using E10 gasonline? Those sound close to the numbers that you will get using that gas instead of E0 gasoline.
Is there a way to tell whether it's E10 or E0?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode