Low Gas Mileage - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Low Gas Mileage

Purchased Altima 2.5SL tech pacakge first of October. 2200 current Miles. I am not seeing the rosey gas mileage promised and it was a major factor in purchase. After about 4 tanks I have gotten 28 mpg mix 50% highway/city, 26 mpg 50% highway, 25.8 mpg 50% highway and 22.8 mpg 90% city. So it appears I am getting about 31 highway and 23 city. Central Georgia, all gas contains up to 10% ethanol, no non ethanol gas available. Slight vibration in the gas pedal and transmission seems to get ahead of itself between 20 mph and 40 mph, kinda like shifting from 1st to third when not ready. I love the car ride is awesome, just disappointed with mileage. Wandering if I could have a CVT issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad yeah View Post
Purchased Altima 2.5SL tech pacakge first of October. 2200 current Miles. I am not seeing the rosey gas mileage promised and it was a major factor in purchase. After about 4 tanks I have gotten 28 mpg mix 50% highway/city, 26 mpg 50% highway, 25.8 mpg 50% highway and 22.8 mpg 90% city. So it appears I am getting about 31 highway and 23 city. Central Georgia, all gas contains up to 10% ethanol, no non ethanol gas available. Slight vibration in the gas pedal and transmission seems to get ahead of itself between 20 mph and 40 mph, kinda like shifting from 1st to third when not ready. I love the car ride is awesome, just disappointed with mileage. Wandering if I could have a CVT issue.
My mileage has been similar to yours as far as city mileage goes. On the highway, if the trip computer is to be believed, I do get the 38 rated or even higher. In the city I'm getting 22 MPG at best. I do notice that if you accelerate and the RPMs go above 2K, the mileage seems to decrease markedly. My trip computer will register 10 MPG in real time under these conditions.I haven't tried to drive like an old lady yet to see if that's how you get the 27 MPG city rating, but maybe I should try.

Reset your mileage computer and then try driving on level highway in cruise control at 65 MPH for a while. See what the trip computer says your MPG is. I'd be surprised if it was less than 35 MPG.

As far as the vibration goes, are you saying the RPMs go down between 20 and 40 mph or do they go higher? Under what kind of throttle conditions?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 AM

mpg

I have tried driving leisurely and it does not seem to help. Like some of the post it seems if you raise the rpm's through the 20 mph to 40 mph range and then settle back down to 1500rpm it actually seems to do a bit better in mpg. If I keep the rpm below 2000rpm, that is when it bogs down between 20 and 40, like it gets ahead of itself / moves the gear ratio too quickly. The vibration is just minor and like I mentioned I can feel it in the gas peddle. Driver's side mirror also seems to vibrate slightly also. If I am cruising at 70 - 75 mph the rpm is staying slightly above 2000.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I have tried driving leisurely and it does not seem to help. Like some of the post it seems if you raise the rpm's through the 20 mph to 40 mph range and then settle back down to 1500rpm it actually seems to do a bit better in mpg. If I keep the rpm below 2000rpm, that is when it bogs down between 20 and 40, like it gets ahead of itself / moves the gear ratio too quickly. The vibration is just minor and like I mentioned I can feel it in the gas peddle. Driver's side mirror also seems to vibrate slightly also. If I am cruising at 70 - 75 mph the rpm is staying slightly above 2000.
The vibration you're feeling is the CVT choosing a high ratio to try and save gas under light throttle. It does seem to lug the engine a bit, causing some vibration. I find the effect is less when in Ds mode. Also, your RPM at 70 MPH should be about 1750, not over 2K. I assume you don't have the overdrive off button depressed.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 AM

Overdrive is on. In 'D' mode not 'Ds' RPM staying over 2000 at 70mph. Vibration is constant not just at low speed. Though it is more noticeable at low speed. Taking overdrive off will take the rpm over 3000. Probably no "light bulb" answer. When I get the oil changed I will get syntech and will follow up with dealer. I also saw that there were some service bulletins involving reporgramming the CVT computer and torquing the steering bolts maybe that is the asnwer...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 AM

RPM should not be over 2000 at 70mph for a long period, unless you're driving up a really long hill.

I am getting around the same MPG as others in this thread. 31 with about 75% highway. Slight disappointment but better than any car I've been in.

2013 Altima 2.5 SV
Added: 5000k HID lows; LEDs for license plate, doors, and courtesy lights; Weathertech mats; footwell lighting kit
To-Do list: HID fogs; 30% window tints; LED for glovebox light; debadge trunk; plastidip front and rear chrome trim; smoke tail lights
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM

I put about 3300 on 2013 2.5S with a mix of city and highway and I averaged 28.9. I don't drive the speed limit unless I am forced to. I just traded my 2.5 for a 3.5 and on the first 200 miles I am getting 25. These numbers match up to a site that I found that shows the EPA and real world mileage. See here - Fuel Economy of 2013 Nissan Altima
The Following User Says Thank You to pnetmac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM

I have been getting 30 mpg with a 60/40 Hwy/City split. I drive pretty easy. Its all in the right foot

03 350Z Crawford 265 Cams, Plenum, Headers, Cats, Big Bore TB, Fujitsubo Ti Exhaust, TS ECU, JWT Intake, Clutch, Flywheel
09 Xterra X - 6MT
2013 Altima 2.5 SV Storm Blue
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 PM

Never have reset my mpg since new.
Mostly city driving below 55mph

Getting 33mpg average. Start off with super light pedal effort. It's like a game for me.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Your gas consumption is way more than it should be. You didn't mention. How was the traffic condition? Were you driving mainly short trips?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM

A lot of stop and go and short trips on the last tank where avg was 22.3 mpg. Seems to be averaging around 22 - 23 in heavy city driving and 29-31 on the highway. If you are going to post a picture make sure it is on an empty tank and show the screen with time in vehicle and average speed. I will post a pic, I took some yesterday on my phone....The only way I can get it to get over 38 is coasting down a hill. I could do that in my truck!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM

Pics

loaded pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1353417112248.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	34695   Click image for larger version

Name:	1353418057962.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	34696  
Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 PM

Stop and go traffic and short trips are two major enemies to good gas mileage. This explains the poor results you got. When you stop in traffic, your mpg is 0. The average speed of only 23mph is a good indication of how bad the traffic was. Short trips also hurts because the engine uses more gas starting and warming up. By the time it is warmed up and efficient, you already completed your trip and turned it off.

To get good gas mileage in your driving condition, you need electric, hybird or cars with very small engine.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 PM

I'm experiencing the same thing with short trips in stop and go traffic and similar mpg.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Initially my gas mileage was lower when I first got the car. It has improved over time.

I will say that my mileage had decreased since the weather has gotten colder (i assume due to the car running at a higher RPM to warm up faster)

2013 Alitma 2.5 S Super Black
Mods Wish List: DRL functionality (preferrably LED)
Mods Completed: Tinted Windows 35%, LED trunk lighting, HID headlights, OEM Fog Light Kit, LED interior lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode