Navigation problem - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Navigation problem

I noticed when I first start driving, and the map screen is displayed, that the arrow is not on the road I am driving on. It is about an inch to the left of the road, but after I drive a couple miles, it seems to get back on track. Is this normal? Does it take a few minutes for the satellite to get a fix on the car? I've never had this problem with any nav system I have previously owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
See Navigation System Owners Manual Page 7-3 Vehicle Icon

2013 Navigation System Owners Manual (Page 7-3 Vehicle Icon)

Symptom: "The Vehicle icon is not displayed in the correct position."

Possible Solution "This is not a malfunction. Drive the vehicle for a while to automatically correct the position and direction of the vehicle icon.

Above are quote's from manual. It may not help much but that is what it says. I have only driven my 2013 Altima a few hundred miles and it has not been a problem with me - maybe I just didn't notice the first mile or so. You may also read page 6-5 "Vehicle icon for other points. Could it be you are starting out from a newer and smaller "neighborhood" road, and not a "Main Road"? I do know that my icon has been on track when I was on major roads, and as I said maybe I just haven't noticed at first start up. My car is always parked inside a garage so it would naturally take a time to acquire the satellites to adjust the position.
#3 Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
all navi's do this, it takes time sometimes for the satellite to find your cars position.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

05 IS300|5spd
73 240z|4spd

#4 Old 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.wong.kid View Post
all navi's do this, it takes time sometimes for the satellite to find your cars position.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
They "all" do this? The navigation in my Lexus and in my 2009 Altima never did it. I would pull out of my driveway and the arrow would immediately show on the road I was on.
#5 Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
lennie paz,

In this case your options are limited, as the Owner's manual says it is 'normal'.

1. Live with it. Get used to it. Adapt to it.

2. Turn off navigation, so it will not bother you.

3. Blame it on the CVT, and sell the car. Hopefully, the next owner will not be OCD.

Amazingly, the Owner's manual and quick reference guide are chocked full of information about your car.

Owner's Manual is like a parachute----only works when opened.
#6 Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
lennie paz,

In this case your options are limited, as the Owner's manual says it is 'normal'.

1. Live with it. Get used to it. Adapt to it.

2. Turn off navigation, so it will not bother you.

3. Blame it on the CVT, and sell the car. Hopefully, the next owner will not be OCD.

Amazingly, the Owner's manual and quick reference guide are chocked full of information about your car.

Owner's Manual is like a parachute----only works when opened.
Could you possibly be any more of a douchebag with that answer?
#7 Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Nav should not take a long time to pinpoint your location. It should only happens under the following condition.
You have not driven your car for a long time that it has to acquire the satellite locations again.
You live in city area with a lot of high rise building around you.
Very poor weather condition.
You have an mis-behaving electronic deveice around that severely interfering the sat signal.

How often did it happen? You should take your car to the dealer to check it out. It could be an antenna problem.
#8 Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honva View Post
The Nav should not take a long time to pinpoint your location. It should only happens under the following condition.
You have not driven your car for a long time that it has to acquire the satellite locations again.
You live in city area with a lot of high rise building around you.
Very poor weather condition.
You have an mis-behaving electronic deveice around that severely interfering the sat signal.

How often did it happen? You should take your car to the dealer to check it out. It could be an antenna problem.
It's happened every time I've driven the car.The road I was on is in orange.

Last edited by lennie paz; 11-27-2012 at 01:47 AM.
#9 Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 PM

Have you tried a different Zoom level? I notice your at 1 mile, try zooming in (+) , see if that makes a difference. I like a closer view, seems to provide more street labeling, I'm not sure it will matter. It's worth a shot.

~Conkris
#10 Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkris View Post
Have you tried a different Zoom level? I notice your at 1 mile, try zooming in (+) , see if that makes a difference. I like a closer view, seems to provide more street labeling, I'm not sure it will matter. It's worth a shot.
No, but I'll give it a shot when the wife gets home from work. Does your arrow immediately show up on the street you are on?
#11 Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM

lennie

Note, when zoomed out to, in your case, 1 mile, sitting in my parking lot which is a corner lot, one street is a small residential street, the other a main city street, the small street is not visable, and even though I'm 50 feet from the main street, it appears I am farther away than that, but more importantly a GPS is not accurate unless your moving. When I am in the woods with my handheld navigating to a waypoint.....the pointer is accurate, direction and distance wise ONLY when I am moving....if I stop it's not...I learned that the hard way, HA. I believe the car units also need motion to relate to their position, that's how they track relative to the sats. If I start my car and sit still in my driveway, facing the road, and don't move, the pointer is facing the wrong way...as soon as I roll the car forward....it moves to the right direction.

~Conkris
#12 Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkris View Post
lennie

Note, when zoomed out to, in your case, 1 mile, sitting in my parking lot which is a corner lot, one street is a small residential street, the other a main city street, the small street is not visable, and even though I'm 50 feet from the main street, it appears I am farther away than that, but more importantly a GPS is not accurate unless your moving. When I am in the woods with my handheld navigating to a waypoint.....the pointer is accurate, direction and distance wise ONLY when I am moving....if I stop it's not...I learned that the hard way, HA. I believe the car units also need motion to relate to their position, that's how they track relative to the sats. If I start my car and sit still in my driveway, facing the road, and don't move, the pointer is facing the wrong way...as soon as I roll the car forward....it moves to the right direction.
I took that picture while I was driving for about a mile. Wide open sky on a main road.
#13 Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Huh, I'm stumped, try the zoom. If not, I guess a trip to Mr Dealer, test another car, see how it acts. Sorry I can't be of help.

~Conkris
#14 Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie paz View Post
I took that picture while I was driving for about a mile. Wide open sky on a main road.
Very obviously your nav system is not functioning properly. Bring the car back to the dealer.
#15 Old 12-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe the system just needs to be reset?
I don't have my manual available to check but I thought i read somewhere during initial setup you go to an open parking lot and drive in circles for a certain amount of time and the system adjust itself. Think you do this with new cars when they arrive at the dealer during initial setup.

2013 Altima 3.5SL Java Metallic, All Options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode