Dealing with dealership - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dealing with dealership

I bought by '13 Altima SL back on Labor Day. When I purchased the car it was missing plastic piece that goes around the fog light on the drivers side. I was told that to put the cover on they needed to remove the bumper, so they didn't want to remove one from another car on the lot. We made note of this in the paperwork and they said they would get it ordered ASAP and get it taken care of. I am still waiting on this. Another problem is with my spare key, never got one. I was told they had to put an order in, that Nissan doesn't actually give both sets to the dealer (never heard of this, but let it go anyway). The salesman said I'd receive it in the mail within a week or two. Still have no spare key.

I'm in college a couple hundred miles from the dealership where I bought the car, so I don't have the chance to go there on a regular basis. Over Thanksgiving week, I called the dealership to set up my service repair for the cvt belt recall. I also asked about both parts I was missing to see what the deal was. The service dept. guy I spoke to on the phone seemed to be very embarrassed about the situation and took my information down and said he was going to check and see what he deal was with my salesmen (I couldn't even tell him who it was, because he didn't give me his card and I didn't have the contract on hand). It's been two weeks and I haven't heard back from them yet. My dad was with me when I purchased the vehicle so I had him call the other day to see if an older customer could get a little more respect from the dealer and he has yet to hear back either.

The dealer I bought from totes itself as the best Nissan dealer in the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Tri-state area and proudly shows off its awards. I expected much better, especially after purchasing a near $30k car.

Any suggestions for steps to take to get these issues resolved? I am going to go down there for my oil change and cvt belt repair on the 17th. Is it to much to "demand" I get my fog light cover off a vehicle on the lot? Should I be contacting nissans corporate offices? This is my first new car purchase and my parents never had any problems like this from dealers they've bought from. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

~2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL~

Last edited by SMeyer13; 12-10-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Which dealer did you purchase from? I live in the Northgate area...
#3 Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM

(Thread Starter)
I purchased from Jeff Wyler - Fairfield

#4 Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 PM

Call them and tell them you've been patient enough and you're not going to continue to drive the vehicle like this. Tell them you want them to provide you a loaner until they get yours fixed properly.
#5 Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM

If the dealer doesn't respond/act to your satisfaction, you can always file a complaint with the BBB.

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5SV Storm Blue/Black Cloth
#6 Old 12-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I purchased mine from Falhaber Nissan on Colerain Ave. I purchased a new '82 Datsun 200SX and had good luck with them. It's a smaller, family owned dealer. I shopped all of the Nissan dealers in the Cincy area when I narrowed it down to the Altima. The two salesreps I spoke with at Wyler weren't very knowledgeable with their products, so I walked away.
#7 Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM
dbc

The bumper does NOT have to be removed to replace the fog light trim bezel. Only need to remove three push pins from the under bumper cover to access it. Dealers are supplied with both keys on new cars, also. You being fed a line of bull.

It's best not to take delivery of a car until everything is right - dealers are far more anxious for a sale than they are for repair work.
#8 Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
It's best not to take delivery of a car until everything is right - dealers are far more anxious for a sale than they are for repair work.
qft i wouldnt of taken delivery until everything was set, even if its like a minor fog light cover. its a new car comon!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

05 IS300|5spd
73 240z|4spd

#9 Old 12-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
... Dealers are supplied with both keys on new cars, also. You being fed a line of bull.

DING.... but it's all water under the bridge.

They didn't give you a copy of the contract???? your dad really dropped the ball if he was there with you. Look in the glove box. they may have stuffed that in with all the other docs.. like temp title.
Second best advice you'll ever get---- Get a copy of everything you ever sign!!!!! especially mortgage papers. DON'T accept pre-copied pages without your signature!! You sign it---- you get a copy of it. BAR NONE. Other free advice.... any serious documents that deal with homes, business dealings, etc... if there are more than one page. initial each page (bottom corner) and then get a copy of the entire document... this prevents unethical people switching out pages of the contract --- your initials kill the ability to cleanly do that.
Back to car issue:
Walk into the business office of the dealership (avoid salesman) and tell them you need a copy of the purchase agreement. If they asked why, tell them you need it for a third party as proof of purchase and ownership.

once you have it and you have your proof of key missing and part missing... walk to the front desk and ask to see the general manager. His name is probably plastered on the front door. Then tell him about the run around and if you don't get it you'll file a complaint with the AG's office AND Nissan headquarters.. trust me if they get too many complaints there they will have problems. Dealerships can intimidate kids but not the AG's office nor Nissan headquarters.

PS Wyler is from Michigan -- if I'm not mistaken. Can't trust a wolverine. Go Bucks!

One reason why they always keep the second key : easy repossession. I'm guessing you financed through them.
side story for others:
I have sat down to purchase a used car and we agree on price and everything. I ask to see the second set of keys with remote. 100% of the time they say they don't have a second set. I tell them to get one or I walk. This always pisses them off since they can't admit they have them secretly filed away. they now have to spend money on a new set of remote and keys. I started to walk one time and the salesman got all whiny saying you can't leave you agreed on everything. I told him to sue me -- and I left. I have other stories of them stripping the car of everything that wasn't nailed down.
In short, never accept a car without two complete key sets. If they say they don't have it -- start walking.

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV Saharan Stone w/o Convenience or Tech package.

Last edited by Lee614; 12-08-2012 at 04:57 PM.
#10 Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 AM

(Thread Starter)
i have a copy of the contract I signed. I know enough to get copies of everything like that. Thanks for the advice on initialing. it clearly states in the "we owe" that they owe the items in question. I just did not have access to the contract at the time I was talking to the dealership.
I called and finally got ahold of the sales manager at the dealership, of course he apologized and that they found my spare key between my last call and now (complete bs). Being as far as I am from the dealership and it being finals week I can't just get up and drive to go get it,so I told him I wanted the key and the foglight ring when I come in to get my 1st oil change and cvt belt fixed next week. Hopefully one gets ordered, because according to the parts dept. guy I spoke with they don't have the, in stock. I explained that I expect one regardless of how they get it even if it comes off a car in the lot.

#11 Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
sorry. as I read it.. i thought you never got a copy vs getting and not having it handy.

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV Saharan Stone w/o Convenience or Tech package.
#12 Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Call zone and complain

Great car, but if you want a comfortable suspension, DONT BUY AN ALTIMA!
#13 Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
If you don't like the service that you are getting from one dealership, then go to another.

The dealership that I bought mine from is about an 1.5 hours away. I took mine to the local Nissan dealer for the CVT reprogram, but as for the other stuff, I've went to another dealership.

In the worse case, you can complain to Nissan and BBB about the problems that you have. Be sure that you can provide proof of the claims that you are making because I'm sure that they will ask for them.

The dealership that I bought my car from, did send the spare key in the mail along with copies of other documents. It didn't come from Nissan. The salesman did tell me that the person delivering the car isn't allow to give both keys. Don't know if the rules are different for if you buy the car in person or have them deliver it to you (which I did).

I also was given a copy of the post sale checklist (can't recall the exact name of it), which lists things for the dealer to check BEFORE you drive off in the car, including tire pressure, cleaniness, any scratches or dings, and bulbs working. Were you given one of these? I can post a picture of the doc if you aren't sure of what I'm talking about.

2013 Alitma 2.5 S Super Black
Mods Wish List: DRL functionality (preferrably LED)
Mods Completed: Tinted Windows 35%, LED trunk lighting, HID headlights, OEM Fog Light Kit, LED interior lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode