2013 altima 2.5 issues - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2013 altima 2.5 vibration and other issues

I've had my 2013 Altima 2.5 for just 2 weeks and I notice that the engine sounds like it's 'lugging' and vibrates slightly under slight load at around 1500-1750 rpm. and between 30mph and 50mph.
Is this normal for a 2.5 because of the CVT, which I'm having a hard time getting used to, or is it something that needs to be addressed by the dealer?
Another thing I noticed is that the gas pedal clicks when it gets near full throttle, like a switch is clicking on. Is this normal?
One last thing, has anyone heard of timing belt issues already on the 2013s?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
THANKS

Last edited by atglass2; 12-06-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
dbc

The cvt is programmed to keep the rpm extremely low on light throttle and this results in the torsional NVH (lugging). My 2.5 was exactly like you describe - the price paid for the better fuel economy.

The accelerator has a detent switch near full throttle that raises rpm even more for maximum performance.

The QR 2.5 engine uses a timing chain, not a belt.
#3 Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM

(Thread Starter)
I thought the lugging and vibration might be normal on the 2.5 due to its power to weight ratio and low rpm. And thanks for letting me know about the throttle.
#4 Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
The cvt is programmed to keep the rpm extremely low on light throttle and this results in the torsional NVH (lugging). My 2.5 was exactly like you describe - the price paid for the better fuel economy.

The accelerator has a detent switch near full throttle that raises rpm even more for maximum performance.

Can the CVT be programmed to kick up the RPMs a little to avoid the 'lugging'?
#5 Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atglass2 View Post
Can the CVT be programmed to kick up the RPMs a little to avoid the 'lugging'?
You can put it in sport drive it will hep but will lose a little on fuel milage, not much I think it's around 2 or 3 in town.
#6 Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

I was told by a mechanic at my local dealership that for 2013 the 3.5 has a timing chain but the 2.4 has a belt and that there have been some issues reported with the belt. Not Sure

Last edited by atglass2; 12-06-2012 at 10:05 PM.
#7 Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atglass2 View Post
I was told by a mechanic at my local dealership that for 2013 the 3.5 has a timing chain but the 2.4 has a belt and that there have been some issues reported with the belt. Not Sure
u might of misunderstood him or he mispoke it but all current nissan motors are timing chain engines. wat he should of meant is. for 2.5 altima, the cvt uses a steel belt to operate, while the 3.5 altima, the cvt uses a steel chain to operate

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

05 IS300|5spd
73 240z|4spd

#8 Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.wong.kid View Post
u might of misunderstood him or he mispoke it but all current nissan motors are timing chain engines. wat he should of meant is. for 2.5 altima, the cvt uses a steel belt to operate, while the 3.5 altima, the cvt uses a steel chain to operate

Let me guess, you ditched the '73 SU carbs in favor of pre '73 or webbers?

2006 Mercedes E55 AMG (Eurocharged Tune)
2013 Maxima S (Now the wife's)

--------------------------------------------------
2013 Altima 2.5 SV (Same tranny problem-traded)
2013 Altima 2.5 S (Dealer bought back-Lemon)
2005 Maxima SE (Sold)
2003 Maxima SE (Sold)
2001 Maxima GLE (Sold)

#9 Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMrMark View Post
Let me guess, you ditched the '73 SU carbs in favor of pre '73 or webbers?
bought the car with the double webbers. motor will be on it way out, going rb25

05 IS300|5spd
73 240z|4spd

#10 Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.wong.kid View Post

Thanks for clarifying
#11 Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I totally disagree 100% that it's normal. I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2.5 SL. I work at a Nissan dealer, so I grabbed a couple keys to some other 2.5's, and drove around for awhile. Neither of the 2 cars I drove had the "lugging" like my 2.5 has. Both cars accelerated properly and I never felt the lugging.
#12 Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM
dbc

I've driven 4 different 2.5's and they all felt about the same. But there could be more unit-to- unit variation than I've experienced.

I've been a little mystified about the severity of the symptom some have reported. I noticed it immediately in my first test drive of a 2.5 but elected to purchase one anyway. Although i didn't care for it, I never found it to be intolerably offensive. Maybe some of the cars are much worse than others.
#13 Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I've driven 4 different 2.5's and they all felt about the same. But there could be more unit-to- unit variation than I've experienced.

I've been a little mystified about the severity of the symptom some have reported. I noticed it immediately in my first test drive of a 2.5 but elected to purchase one anyway. Although i didn't care for it, I never found it to be intolerably offensive. Maybe some of the cars are much worse than others.
Either mine is one of the worst ones or I'm oversensitive to NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). Harshness cannot be measured but I certainly do feel the vibration and I can hear the noise. If lennie paz drove a couple other 2.5s and did not experience the "lugging" then I would tend to agree with him- this not normal. Nor should it be especially in a $30,000 vehicle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atglass2 For This Useful Post:
#14 Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
dbc

I'm plenty sensitive to NVH levels. Almost to an obsession. My current Lexus LS 430 is the smoothest and quietest car I've ever experienced - and I love it. But I don't expect the same levels of sophistication in a 4cyl $25k car that can be achieved in a v8 $70k car.

Best way to resolve the question of "is it normal?" would be to personally drive a couple of other cars. Dealer might let you do this. There are plenty of '13 Altimas in the rental fleets - rent one for a day to see how it feels. All 4 I've driven felt about the same.
#15 Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I'm plenty sensitive to NVH levels. Almost to an obsession. My current Lexus LS 430 is the smoothest and quietest car I've ever experienced - and I love it. But I don't expect the same levels of sophistication in a 4cyl $25k car that can be achieved in a v8 $70k car.

Best way to resolve the question of "is it normal?" would be to personally drive a couple of other cars. Dealer might let you do this. There are plenty of '13 Altimas in the rental fleets - rent one for a day to see how it feels. All 4 I've driven felt about the same.

Renting one for a day might not be a bad idea. There go 15 gals of gas.

Last edited by atglass2; 12-11-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode