Tire pressure read-out - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 PM

Tire pressure read-out

Hello everyone

Am new to this forum and just purchase a 2013 Altima SV two days ago and notice the tire pressure read-out on the dash is reading 48Psi on all four tires. My question is does this system read the tires while they are hot? Or did the dealer over fill the tires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM

It does read when hot, but it shouldn't be that high. Let some air out.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 PM

looks like someone forgot to let some of the tire pressure before delivery or during PDI. definitely get it down to the 33-36 range before u hit a bump or pothole and blowout the tire

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM

I knew it was to high thank you , I drop the pressure to 37Psi cold and when it heats up it goes up to 40Psi. The tire now look flat at the bottom now.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirchris View Post
I knew it was to high thank you , I drop the pressure to 37Psi cold and when it heats up it goes up to 40Psi. The tire now look flat at the bottom now.
That's still pretty high. My car is around 33 psi cold, 36-38 psi hot.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipn0tic View Post
That's still pretty high. My car is around 33 psi cold, 36-38 psi hot.
Yeah am still a bit too high. According to the manual the tire pressure for the 17s have to be 33Psi cold so tomorrow morning am going to use the easy-fill tire alert feature. Is the bottom of your tire flat looking at?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirchris View Post
Yeah am still a bit too high. According to the manual the tire pressure for the 17s have to be 33Psi cold so tomorrow morning am going to use the easy-fill tire alert feature. Is the bottom of your tire flat looking at?
Yes, it should be flush with the surface for even wear. I have the 17s too. Also, some people do intentionally run their pressure a little higher for whatever reason (i.e., better mpg, but less of a smooth ride). Where you have it now is fine, I was just going by the recommended psi by Nissan.

I haven't used the tire fill feature yet, but I recall others saying that it doesn't work when letting out air, only filling. And the car has to be on for it to work.

Last edited by flipn0tic; 12-13-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipn0tic View Post
Yes, it should be flush with the surface for even wear. I have the 17s too. Also, some people do intentionally run their pressure a little higher for whatever reason (i.e., better mpg, but less of a smooth ride). Where you have it now is fine, I was just going by the recommended psi by Nissan.

I haven't used the tire fill feature yet, but I recall others saying that it doesn't work when letting out air, only filling. And the car has to be on for it to work.
Yes the tire alert did not work yesterday when I was deflating the tire. I expect the feature to let me know when to stop but never did so I watch a how to video from Nissan on YouTube and it say you have to have the E-brake on and have the engine off but the car on accessory mode for it to work.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 PM

I have the 3.5 SL. When drove my car out of the dealership for the first time, the ride felt VERY hard. While I know the 3.5 SL comes with harder riding low profile 18 inch wheels, the ride was still way too hard. That was confirmed when I scrolled to the tire pressure screen and saw that all 4 tires were inflated to 47 lbs each!!!! (it was confirmed with my professional grade tire pressure guage).

Needless to say I deflated them down to the recomended psi on the car's door sticker. I alerted the dealer and was told "sorry, we must have missed that".
Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 PM

I will not fault anyone for running the psi stated on the door. I also will not fault anyone for running a few pounds more.
Many have observed that tire wear is often more even at a few psi higher than the number on the door.
The number on the door is not magic, it is a number that is intended to deliver a reasonable compromise or economy, ride, wear and safety.
A few psi extra will likely result in minor improvements in economy and wear at the expense of ride quality.
If you choose to run higher than the door pressure, the easy fill option is less useful, although some utility can still be achieved if you use the overfill warning as your target
Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM

Granted a "few" extra psi is fine....but, my 3.5 SL initally had at least 12 psi higher than the recommendation on the door sticker...IMHO that's TOO MUCH.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 PM

Yes my 2.5 SV tire pressure was over quite a bit. I guess this might be common as I am not the only one; after letting some air out I notice going over the train track the car was smoother. I am just going to leave it at 37psi I like the way it rides now.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:06 AM

I'm at 40psi
Mods: HIDs 5000k low beams(XB35Bulbs),Racingline front strut bar, BT Led footwells front and back, CFL Truck lights, yellow film on parking lights, LED's license plate lights, HID Foglights 5000k and Installed led DRL's

Next mods : Mud guards, Front lip, and Short Ram intake.

Chemical Guys and Mothers products to keep it clean.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM

On the fuel economy forums there are epic threads on tire pressure. One of those threads had a tire engineer weighing in and his position was that 5-8 psi higher than the door jamb decal was probably a sweet spot for balancing performance, safety and tread wear. He felt that the manufacturers ratings were a bit biased towards comfort, at the expense of tire longevity, and in the case of vehicles like the Ford Explorer, even safety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.