3.5L shudder here you go! - Page 2 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The other lame answer I'm getting is that it's "characteristic" of the car. Nonsense, it didn't do it when new. It developed the problem. That's not "characteristic".

Now isn't that interesting?.....that's exactly the words my dealer service writer used re: my 2.5 CVT moaning/vibration, while riding with me, yesterday.

Sounds like corporate is telling dealers how to deliver the "canned message"

~Conkris

Last edited by Conkris; 01-15-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 PM

Oh there's no question that the dealers are being told how to verbally respond to the issue.

Most people have gotten the same or similar answers when bringing their cars in to have the issue looked at.

Remember the car is a complete redesign and is also relatively new to market as well.

Now that more and more people are purchasing/leasing the 2013 Altima it's going to give them more reason to find a fix or work around quicker.

I have plenty of faith in Nissan after owning/dealing with them for the past 14 years that a recall notice will soon be released.

I can't imagine for a second that Nissan is going to ignore the issue and throw a cold shoulder like all of us owners are just imagining it.

I'm also VERY sure that Nissan has people who view/monitor these forums and others in order to see how people are viewing their vehicles.

And if they don't have any, I'm sure there are plenty of Nissan salesmen & technicians who read what's going on as well.

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Silver w/Charcoal Leather
#18 Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM
rah

(Thread Starter)
to answer a few questions back. yes my dealer has felt my issue , they did nearly put 200 miles on it during the start to finish repair. now mine is not a NVH related issue. mine is a shudder , CVT belt slippage or torque converter shuddering. they service mgr was like wtf was that. mine is very distinct it feels as though you have ran over railroad tracks or rumble strip on side of road. the cvt was replaced per nissan after a data recorder was installed. long story short after they were ordered to buy back my car seems now they have filed a rebuttal and now we are going through this same BS again. when this happens car won't go it shudder and hesitates and has nearly caused 3 rear end collisions. nissan knows about this but they are more interested in there pride then getting this fixed before someone gets hurt. stay tuned its going to get good.
#19 Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM
dbc

Thanks, rah. It appears a service tech must actually experience the shudder to even get Nissan to acknowledge the problem. If this happens frequently enough, they'll be forced to come up with a fix. Unfortunately, I've been unable to demonstrate the shudder and they are dismissing it as "characteristic". Your explanation of the shudder is exactly what I'm experiencing. This is unrelated to the NVH issue and unique to the 3.5.

Opening a case with Nissan customer service is equally frustrating, they won't refer the problem to the engineering department, only send you back to the dealer. Seems its impossible for a customer to get the attention of engineering.

My car hasn't had the shudder for about a week and 350 miles or so. But I'm not convinced it's "cured itself". That almost never happens. Most likely it will slowly get worse over time.

Last edited by dbc; 01-16-2013 at 12:45 PM.
#20 Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Hal in Va near D.C.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have not yet experienced shudder in my 3.5 SL (2013). I do hear a 'growly' noise while accelerating in low to medium speed range.
In other cars where I have experienced shudder it has been either due to 'indecisiveness' while in cruise control and on a hill or due to staying in a high gear for too long (i.e. the car has slowed down a whole lot and remains in a high gear).
#21 Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM
rah

(Thread Starter)
dbc at the begining of this thread is an exact copy of the e mail i recieved from consumer affairs. i just copy and pasted it. feel free to copy and take to dealer. nissan knows we are not the only ones with this complaint . i wouldn't worry to much about dealer feeling it. just describe what you are feeling and show him the letter. let the dealer call and do leg work for it. they can do it by just a simple phone call or 2 . that way they won'y have to put excissive miles on your can and just say sorry we can't duplicate.
#22 Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM
dbc

My dealer will not contact Nissan technical support unless they have observed the problem.
#23 Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharam04 View Post
I'm not bothered by the rumble either, but since folks are going to complain and swear that something is wrong (although Nissan knows nothing is not), then they are going to do something about it just to shut those people up.
You overpaid for your vehicle that rumbles IMO.
#24 Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM
rah

(Thread Starter)
Report Date : January 16, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Search Type : VEHICLE
Year : 2013
Make : NISSAN
Model : ALTIMA

Results : 37 | All records displayed
Make : NISSAN Model : ALTIMA Year : 2013
Manufacturer : Nissan North America, Inc.
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10492417 Number of Deaths: 0
Date Complaint Filed: January 14, 2013 Date of Incident: January 2, 2013
VIN : 1N4AL3AP6DN...
Component: POWER TRAIN
Summary:
WHEN ACCELERATING GENTLY OR DECELERATING YOU CAN HEARD A RUMBLING AND VIBRATION NOISE.

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

another complaint on NTHSA.
#25 Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 PM

I dont know of an auto manufacturer / dealership that will address any issue that they cant reproduce. Even though there seems to be enough people who experience this issue, there are very few who have actually gotten the dealership to experience it.

Historically Nissan will ask the customer if they can send out an engineer to look at a "broken" car to figure out the issue. If the customer makes a big deal about just wanting it fixed and to make it right, they will just fix it. In this case the replaced transmission will be picked up by Nissan and gone over and probably put in a test car to see what issues there are. All this stuff takes time, and with what seems to be no catastrophic failures to date, they have no better answer than to say it is characteristic of the car and the specific issue is not damaging to the car.

I will say i drove my first 2013 Altima in April 2012 around the corporate headquarters campus and the 2.5 behaved just as mine does (hesitation/shudder at easy throttle). The 3.5 felt smoother and less bogged, as expected. While i was only in each of them for 5 min, I can say that those guys test the crap out of their pre-production cars. Some things do sneak through. I cant really fault Nissan for being cautious with addressing issues that they as manufacturer can label as "characteristic". They want to make the right fix once, and not having to readdress the issue multiple times.

For those that did the lemon law, I don't blame you. Not too many things are worse than spending a big chunk of money on something that for reasons outside of your control has put a sour taste in your mouth. Just remember most lemoned cars are the exception and not the rule. Just about every manufacturer will have some in every model line.

03 350Z Crawford 265 Cams, Plenum, Headers, Cats, Big Bore TB, Fujitsubo Ti Exhaust, TS ECU, JWT Intake, Clutch, Flywheel
09 Xterra X - 6MT
2013 Altima 2.5 SV Storm Blue
#26 Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM

Well ill tell you one thing, I can def make the dealer recognize the NVH in my vehicle.

Off a cold start it doesn't happen for a few mins of driving, but then it happens all the time while driving.

I just don't feel like dealing with the hassle of bringing it in when I know nothing will be accomplished.

Until I hear more feedback about a fix, then ill bring my car to the dealer.

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Silver w/Charcoal Leather
#27 Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideSL View Post
I just don't feel like dealing with the hassle of bringing it in when I know nothing will be accomplished.
Well the more cars they see with an issue, the faster a fix will be in place.

I would urge anyone who can reproduce it, to get it to the dealer.

03 350Z Crawford 265 Cams, Plenum, Headers, Cats, Big Bore TB, Fujitsubo Ti Exhaust, TS ECU, JWT Intake, Clutch, Flywheel
09 Xterra X - 6MT
#28 Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 PM

Well....my concern is IF Nissan doesn't eventually address this issue AND FIX IT....my 2013 Altima will be worthless when it comes to dumping it. Cars develop "reputations" and some damage the resale value dramatically.

I'm kicking myself for buying a "first year" model, since I typically have a self imposed rule not to......my error!

This occasional "shudder" along with the heated seats issue (discussed in another thread) are extremely disturbing. It's not that the issues exist or "slipped through" the pre-production testing procedures...it's that Nissan's Customer Service is terrible!......To not acknowlege issues is terrible PR.....perhaps they are in the legal CYA "mode".....

Nissan has left a bad taste in my mouth.....I seriously doubt that I will ever by another Nissan product again!

I plan on attending the Chicago Auto Show, next month, and if I can find a Nissan Rep with some "legitimate authority" on the floor, I plan on bending their ear, getting their card and following up with them until my issues are resolved.
#29 Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM

I am sure is a CYA and numbers game. Since this is their mass market car, they are going to play the percentages as far as problems go. On the other hand for the same reason, they are not going to let something cause a bad reputation with their bread and butter offering.

If you look at the numbers the previous Altima was creeping up on the #1 spot. It may be frustrating to us consumers, but i doubt they are going to let anything get out of hand. They want to make money and take as small a loss as possible.

09 Xterra X - 6MT
#30 Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM
rah

(Thread Starter)
while waiting on the arbitrator to relook at my lemon law case. here is one of the answers i got from the attorney : anyone that is armed with getting knowledge of a vehicles repairs history , the new buyer can see that the car has had multiple problems therefore lowering the resale value of the vehicle. that is very true!! fixed or not fixed i personally see a repair history like my car has i wouldn't even think of buying it , matter of fact my dealer didn't want to trade my car in as they would take a loss too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode