The Nissan Club banner

Power Steering Fluid Question

134K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
I know the Altima has an electric power steering pump. Is there a specific type of power steering fluid for electric power steering or any power steering fluid will work?

#2 ·
Genuine NISSAN E-PSF Power Steering Fluid

Altima 2013 Owner's Manual Dated June 2012

Page 8-14 (Power Steering Fluid)

Use of a power steering fluid OTHER than
Genuine NISSAN E-PSF will prevent the
power steering system from operating
properly.

Page 9-2 (Capacities And Recommended Fuel/Lubricants)

Power Steering Fluid: Genuine NISSAN E-PSF or equivalent.*3

*3: Use of a power steering fluid OTHER than Genuine NISSAN E-PSF will prevent the power steering system from operating properly.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MY Note to above --- It does not make much sense for Nissan to state "or equivalent" and then make the statement in note *3. ----- However although Nissan fluid in on the expensive side, IMO why take a chance with anything else with such a small amount of fluid. (Note the "E" in the recommeded type fluid.) I had another car for 25 years and never had to add a drop of power steering fluid -- I finally did drain and fill even though old fluid looked good.

The Altima 2013 Service and Maintenance Guide Dated Oct 2012 makes no mention or recommendation of changing/flushing the power steering fluid.

#19 ·

properly.

*3: Use of a power steering fluid OTHER than Genuine NISSAN E-PSF will prevent the power steering system from operating properly.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MY Note to above --- It does not make much sense for Nissan to state "or equivalent" and then make the statement in note *3. ----- However although Nissan fluid in on the expensive side, IMO why take a chance with anything else with such a small amount of fluid. (Note the "E" in the recommeded type fluid.) I had another car for 25 years and never had to add a drop of power steering fluid -- I finally did drain and fill even though old fluid looked good.

The Altima 2013 Service and Maintenance Guide Dated Oct 2012 makes no mention or recommendation of changing/flushing the power steering fluid.

properly.

When you flush the power steering fluid is it the same process as other power steering fluid changes can not seem to find a video?

#3 ·
Thanks BC2046. I wasn't going to change/flush it, but it is below the min mark. I can kinda tell a difference in the steering as well, but it hasn't started doing that power steering pump whine that most do when they are running low.

#4 ·
Additional Side Note to Power Steering Fluid -- In my case

I bought a Altima 2013 delivered in Oct 2012. Several months after delivery I looked closely at my power steering fluid reservoir when the vehicle had not been driven and everything was cold. I noticed that the fluid level was at the absolute minimum mark (for cold). Later, while driving another car, I went to a Nissan Dealer which was not where I bought the car, and was going to buy some of the correct PS fluid. As I remember cost would have been about $15+ or so for a container. ---- I did not have my Altima with me at the time ---- but the parts department gave me a opened slightly used container to carry home and top off my fluid. After topping off, and keeping a couple extra ounces I returned the container to the parts dept.

NOTE: On delivery, my car's engine oil also was at the mid mark on the dipstick. Checked in first few days of ownership, when car was cold and on a level surface. Because Nissans engine oil/power steering & CVT fluids are so expensive you have to wonder if Nissan is not trying to save a buck here and there. I have to wonder IF the CVT fluid is correct ---- but with no CVT dipstick in this model car I cant check it.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Purchased the fluid today. It was $16 + tax for 32 oz. Came in a bottle like motor oil.

#8 ·
I just remembered that my dealership (non-Nissan) topped off the power steering fluid with what I think was regular hydraulic steering fluid, the color being the same is what fooled them I guess. Do you guys think it'll be a problem? I think they only added 1-2 tablespoons.

#9 ·
Okay, I have some news on this issue. I live in Armenia, but since our dealership didn't have the required fluid, I ordered one from the neighboring Georgia. They sent me a bottle, but the code was KLF51-00001, and the packaging didn't mention E-PSF anywhere. So I called them and asked why they sent the wrong product. They said that this is the fluid required for 2013 Altimas. So I ripped the sticker a bit, and it says E-PSF on a Japanese sticker that was underneath. I guess different fluids are sold in different regions. Searching KLF51-00001 on Google only brings up Japanese and Russian links. Though on some Japanese site I saw a line saying "electric pump type oil pressure power steering".

#10 ·
Question for those adding fluid...
How many miles are you having to add at? I thought the whine was independent of the fluid level (my 2015 does it anyway), but I suppose it can get worse with low fluid. I was just surprised that the fluid would have be added at low miles w/o any leaks. Wish that dipstick didn't have such a small difference b/t the min and max...mine came from the factory halfway between the two markings.

#13 ·
I had to add when the car had only a few hundred miles on it, but one of the lower control arm was leaking. It was at the minimum level and not below.

#15 ·
Mine uses eps it's like $20 can be found at Amazon or local dealer for a higher price

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
Mine uses eps fluid it's like $20 can be found at Amazon or local dealer for a higher price

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 ·
Has anyone changed their power steering fluid yet? If so how many bottles of (E-PSF) power steering fluid would be necessary for complete flush of the rack?

#18 ·
Wow I guess no one is worried about changing this particular fluid then. I was thinking about using the method of disconnecting the return line from the pump and running it into a drain pan then plug the return line input on the pump. Then just simply turn the steering wheel lock to lock while adding new E-PSF with the car not running with the front wheels jacked up off or the ground.

LIKE THIS!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.