The Nissan Club banner

Why All The Negative Reviews?

8K views 47 replies 24 participants last post by  Slickone 
#1 ·
Just curious about the current Altima. I've been doing research and there seems to be a lot of complaints with this generation. Why? I mean it's the same motors and transmission that came on the previous gen and there didn't seem to be nearly the amount of complaints. I know Nissan lowered their power train warranty as my parents bought a Murano 5 years ago and it came with 7/100, now it's 5/60. Obviously it wasn't cost effective.

I had a 2006 2.5 Altima that I kept for 3 years, never had one bit of trouble. Then again it wasn't the CVT trans.

I'm currently looking real hard at a 2015 3.5 SL, honestly I didn't even consider possible issues till I heard Consumers didn't rate it very high(I take them with a grain of salt) but it did lead me to further research and it seems like a real mixed bag.

Would most of you current 3.5 owners recommend this vehicle to a family member? I'm just looking for a little feedback. I would appreciate any and all input, both good or bad.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I would depend on how long they intended to keep it. I think it's safe to buy if you plan to trade or sell it at the 5 year mark or sooner. If you plan on keeping it for 200k miles (or till it cost more to fix than it's worth) maybe not.

If reliability were the only consideration a Honda Accord (with the air-bag recall done !!!) or the Camry would be better choices. I bought the car because I do trade cars after 5 years and I couldn't find anything else in the price range that had a cloth interior and powerful 6 cylinder. I had a 07 and 09 Camry and loved of them but the 2013 (and new one) just got to ugly for me. The Accord could not be optioned with the 6 cylinder in the lower trim levels so it was leather only and $32k...ouch. So to get a V6 with cloth in a good looking car the Altima was my only choice.

Note: One reason I like cloth ? The outside temp display on my car read 111F today (Plano TX), still the seats didn't burn me or feel hot at all when I sat down.

#4 ·
Thanks guys.

Yeah I don't keep vehicles long so im not worried about long term. I just don't want to spend my weekends at the dealership getting repairs.

As far as looks go in this class, I love the Nissan! I do wish they had LEDs in the headlights already but other than that the Accord doesn't do anything for me, and the Camry is just plain ugly!

#6 ·
I'm happy with mine.

I remember looking at all the asinine complaints an a website that ranked cars...one of them was that the rubber feet on the armrest kept sticking together so the two level latches wouldn't work unless you manually pulled them apart.

#10 ·
Craiger,
I have a 2013 3.5 SL and like it very much.
Look for other posts by me for more details.
In a nutshell, great highway mpg, really comfortable seats for long trips, some giddyap especially in DS mode .

#14 ·
Based on my recent personal experience with the 2014 3.5SL, I would not recommend it at all. It was the most disappointing vehicle I've ever owned. I have a thread where I highlighted my experiences of 8 months of ownership before trading it in.

You get what you pay for - if you want a car with lots of features for a bargain price, don't expect them to perform flawlessly.

#15 ·
Initially I also disliked the visor. ThenI learned that it can slide back and extend along its axis.
That improved my opinion of it somewhat.
So when I swing it to the window, I can slide it back for extended coverage.

#18 ·
True.
Unless you're a car enthusiast, you're rarely going to search online to give good feedback about it, but more so often to find similar issues and complain about them.

#21 ·
I have a new 2014 Altima 2.5 SL and have over 3,500 miles on it as I'm still breaking it in ;)
The car was the last 2014 showroom model so I got a decent deal for it.
It's luxury compared to my old 2005 Altima 2.5 S which was basic.
I plan on keeping it for at least 10 years like my old Altima.

I got used to the CVT which isn't that bad except upon acceleration from start.
Nissan still uses the cr@ppy Continental Tires :(
Otherwise, I really like it.

#22 ·
Mine is an '08 2.5S and the visors do not slide back. I believe there was a higher level trim that had extensions you could pull out when the visor is against the side window. This IMO should have been included on all trim levels. Without the extension the visor leaves a gap right where you eyes are.

#24 · (Edited)
What kinda problems have you had with the Continental tires?
Continental Tires from my 2005 Altima and now 2014 Altima...

1. Lousy traction on wet roads and on turns [and will find out how the tires/car handles during this upcoming winter].
2. Wears down relatively quickly, considering that it's basically commuting mileage <60mpg daily.
3. Tire noise.
4. Newer wipers don't work well as it streaks on the driver's side. Already had it replaced for free :) but it sometimes streaks as well! Better to get an aftermarket wiper!

Wasn't good back then even when it was replaced by newer versions (had a tire plan to replace the tires :wink ).

Isn't that good now... not enough traction and Still relatively noisy.

Nissan probably stuck with Continental due to a long term contract and used low profile tires to help get the higher fuel economy numbers. :crying

If Nissan had used "good" tires that gripped [and produces less tire noise] (i.e. Goodyear, Cooper or Dunlop), the fuel economy would probably drop but at least the tires should perform better.

#25 ·
Continental Tires from my 2005 Altima and now 2014 Altima...

1. Lousy traction on wet roads and on turns [and will find out how the tires/car handles during this upcoming winter].
2. Wears down relatively quickly, considering that it's basically commuting mileage <60mpg daily.
3. Tire noise.

Wasn't good back then even when it was replaced by newer versions (had a tire plan to replace the tires :wink ).

Isn't that good now... not enough traction and Still relatively noisy.

Nissan probably stuck with Continental due to a long term contract and used low profile tires to help get the higher fuel economy numbers. :crying

If Nissan had used "good" tires that gripped [and produces less tire noise] (i.e. Goodyear, Cooper or Dunlop), the fuel economy would probably drop but at least the tires should perform better.
Cooper... lol
Yeah Cooper tires are better than one of the top 5, if not even top 3 tire manufacturer's in the world.

BTW, My 14 Altima came with Michelin tires, which I love.

#28 ·
Michelin Primacy MXV4 or something like that.
They are awesome so far, close to 25,000 miles and they still look very good and are a comfortable ride.

I read some where that Michelin will be discontinuing that model tire and come out with a new one, which is pretty sad considering the Michelin Primacy is a great all around tire.

#30 ·
My girlfriend's 2014 SV 2.5 has 25K on it and other than fit and finish problems from the factory (which the dealer tries to get out of fixing), it's has no problems. It rides very well and handles great. And the V6 model and/or SL handles even better. The only thing I hate is all the auto air fuctions that think it knows what I want better than I. For one, every time I turn off the AC, it switches to fresh air so I have to switch back to recirculate (please dont try to justify, I know why it does). Any way to defeat that? Also the AC seems to be on even if it's turned off (so what's the point of the on/off button?).

FYI, it came with Continentals, but the 2015's on the dealer's lot had Michelins. She got a great deal on the 2014 though since it was one of their last ones.

#31 · (Edited)
I got a relatively good deal on my 2014 Altima 2.5 SL as well as it was the last showroom model with 89 miles when I test drove it. Took it home with <105 miles on it. Still breaking it in ~3,500 miles ;)

The AC defaults to Recycle mode whenever the AC is turned on. I have the Fresh Air mode on but whenever the AC is turned on, it uses the Rec Air mode instead, at least in my car.

Also, the AC stays on even if you turn off your car so I have to manually shut it off, at least on my car.

Surprised to read that the 2015 model appears to Not have Continental tires anymore, which is a good thing. Conti tires were terrible back then with my old 2005 Altima and still not so good now... looks like its wearing down quick and relatively noisy on certain roads though it does have decent traction on dry roads and somewhat wet roads, considering that it's still relatively new. Hope it handles well this upcoming winter when it snows!

Wonder how the new Michelin [model] tires fare on the 2015 Altimas?

#32 ·
I went through two '13 Altimas before buying my Maxima. So far 58,000 miles on the Max and not one issue.

#37 ·
Strange how some model's in the same year have different brand tires.
I know that Nissan had used Continentals for a Long time.
Maybe in a particular year, like 2015, Nissan changed contracts and switched to another brand which is reasonable.

But having different brand tires in the same model year is confusing unless... the dealership purposely switched them for whatever reason.

IMHO, I'd recommend that upon tire replacement(s), avoid Continentals as they suck in winter driving and they also tend to wear relatively quicker, even mainly from basic commuting mileage.
Coming from someone who's owned/driven an Altima and Continentals in New England >10 years!
Only have it now because it was included with the newer car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.