The Nissan Club banner

Purchasing advice 2013 3.5 SL

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Ichristian91 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Decided to read up on this forum as I'm looking to purchase a 2013 Altima 3.5 SL for my wife but holyyyyy smoking toledos after reading that 36 page thread about CVT replacements for the altima models I am now more turned off than a naked man in -10 degree weather.

Looking at a 2013 3.5 SL with 30k miles for reference.

I've come here for reasurement, if any at all, of those who have had no problems and love their altimas. Or if you did have problems is nissan offering any help in replacing the transmission or is still a long fought battle to prove that your alti really needs a new CVT tranny.

One thing i sort of saw a trend in was that these problems reported on the CVT replacement thread was that all problems were happening early on in the 500-20k mile range. This vehicle i'm looking at is around 30k miles and on the carfax there are no reported major repairs and 2 previous owners. 1st owner was fleet, 2nd owner was personal.

Or should I just jump ship on trying to get a used 13-15 and shoot for leasing a 16?

Any and all feedback/info/input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

UPDATE: Decided to bite the bullet and yolo#swag#420blazeiteveryday# and going to go ahead and purchase said Altima. Just for peace of mind I'll be buying an extended warranty from Warranty direct, really great reviews from what I've seen. Buying from autonation so it's on hold until 2 recalls are finished, hopefully it won't be too long.

I thank everyone who replied and shared thier experience so far.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I've got a 2013 3.5 SV with around 55k miles, no transmission or engine problems to date. I intially had quite a few minor issues, but it's been solid since they got addressed. I'd check the repair history through the dealer, if it's had transmission issues, I'd stay away. If not, it's likely a good bet, the solid one seem to stay that way.

#12 ·
Answer: No Take the VIN# to the service center desk and ask for a print out of any outstanding recalls and a list of all work done under warranty. (should be free) they may have a very short list and just show you the screen. If you see CVT repairs I would run.
Mine has 46k and has not had a meltdown but at this time it seems to 'stick' at a certain RPMs on slow doens. or going downhill the RMPs go pretty high. Not sure if they is designed it this way or something else. All i know is I loved my CVT until they reprogrammed it. Ever since then it has been a dog.

#4 ·
My 2013 3.5 sv has over 55k and I also had issues early on but were resolved right away by the dealer. Then I got the dreaded cvt shudder and it drove me nuts for awhile. The dealer did a reflash and it has been solid since. Besides those early issues it's the best car I have owned, powerful, good mpg, roomy, comfortable, and good looking in black. Good luck with your decision.

#6 ·
Hello all,

Decided to read up on this forum as I'm looking to purchase a 2013 Altima 3.5 SL for my wife but holyyyyy smoking toledos after reading that 36 page thread about CVT replacements for the altima models I am now more turned off than a naked man in -10 degree weather.

I've come here for reasurement, if any at all, of those who have had no problems and love their altimas. Or if you did have problems is nissan offering any help in replacing the transmission or is still a long fought battle to prove that your alti really needs a new CVT tranny.

One thing i sort of saw a trend in was that these problems reported on the CVT replacement thread was that all problems were happening early on in the 500-20k mile range. This vehicle i'm looking at is around 30k miles and on the carfax there are no reported major repairs and 2 previous owners. 1st owner was fleet, 2nd owner was personal.

Or should I just jump ship on trying to get a used 13-15 and shoot for leasing a 16?

I think it's luck of the draw on the CVT. Test drive it and make a sharp right turn with light acceleration and pay attention for any slipping feeling. If it's still good after 30k you might just have a good one. I have a early build 2013 3.5 SV with over 66k on it and other than the initial issues with the CVT it's been a good car. I still feels like the CVT slips a little now and then but not bad enough to get rid of the car. Now the only issue is the recalls (yes more than one) on the airbag indicator lights Gerrrr..

#7 ·
Hello all,

I think it's luck of the draw on the CVT. Test drive it and make a sharp right turn with light acceleration and pay attention for any slipping feeling. If it's still good after 30k you might just have a good one. I have a early build 2013 3.5 SV with over 66k on it and other than the initial issues with the CVT it's been a good car. I still feels like the CVT slips a little now and then but not bad enough to get rid of the car. Now the only issue is the recalls (yes more than one) on the airbag indicator lights Gerrrr..
I'm hoping this was one of the lucky ones but if not it should still be covered under the power train warranty until 60k miles if I'm not mistaken. But with one of the main threads with 36 pages of issues it was a little off putting, but I'm so set on this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.