The Nissan Club banner

More passenger airbag crap

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Ca_lvn 
#1 ·
So I took my '15 altima 2.5 se in for an oil change today and they performed "nissan recall campaign R1609" for the pass. airbag. Now the light stays on ALL THE TIME when no passenger is present. According to the "official" recall notice which I had emailed to me, this is now the "normal" behavior. I was NOT having any issues with the light before this, and I did not ask for this to be done. I have not driven at night yet to see if the stupid thing dims when the headlights are on, but I suspect not.

I also suspect that this is a cover their a** by nissan since they can't seem to get it to work any other way.

Irritating at best, at worst a huge glare from an un-wanted warning light at night. Not happy - none of my other cars were like this.:crazy:

#4 ·
So I took my '15 altima 2.5 se in for an oil change today and they performed "nissan recall campaign R1609" for the pass. airbag. Now the light stays on ALL THE TIME when no passenger is present. According to the "official" recall notice which I had emailed to me, this is now the "normal" behavior. I was NOT having any issues with the light before this, and I did not ask for this to be done. I have not driven at night yet to see if the stupid thing dims when the headlights are on, but I suspect not.

Irritating at best, at worst a huge glare from an un-wanted warning light at night. Not happy - none of my other cars were like this.:crazy:
Having the "Passenger Air Bag Off" light on when the passenger seat is not occupied by an adult makes more sense than the way it has been working. I will feel more confident that the system is working correctly after the mod is done than I do now. To me that light is not that big of a deal and I will get use to it.

#5 ·
In my past/present vehicles:

1998 mazda b4000 truck - keyswitch for pass airbag - makes the most sense.
2007 honda accord coupe-no weight on pass seat, airbag light off, airbag disarmed. Light weight on pass seat, light on, airgbag disarmed.
2006 lincoln zephyr same as above
2009 honda accord same as above

This is the way mine WAS, and I would have preferred to keep it that way. I don't like yellow warning lights glaring at me, especially at night.

I guess my point is that I don't know why they can't get this right, since other makers have been doing it for years.

#7 ·
After causing my air bag systen to show a fault by fooling around with my stereo had to have the dealer reset it .
Since this reset several weeks ago the passenger air bag light has not given one false reading that I dealt with since day one with this car.
It is always off except when 1st starting the car.
I would not want this on all the time as the light and look would he very anoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.