Dealerships and Technical Service Bulletins? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-14-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dealerships and Technical Service Bulletins?

I just got out of a 2000 Altima and into a 2013 Altima(SV+Convenience Pkg) with 24,000 on the odometer and 5 days left on the manufacturer warranty. I wanted to fix any issues with the car as I hope to own it for several years; I've already brought it in last week because the gear shifter lights were out. Having driven the car for a week, I've noticed both a growling/vibration when driving at 1400-1500 RPM and 20-30mph(easiest to replicate on a hill as I can keep the RPMs consistent) as well as some rattling/wind noise coming from the A pillar near the driver's side mirror.

After some research, I've found information on this forum regarding 2 TSBs (NTB13040 & NTB13005) detailing issues almost exactly what I'm experiencing. I brought it into the dealership today trying to explain it as clearly as possible with a printout of the TSBs but the service writer seemed reluctant to listen and suggested I was reading too much into the TSBs by bringing up problems that weren't there. In addition, he mentioned that the 'wind' noise is only covered up to 12 months/12,000 miles. Regardless, he took the car in anyway and it says "estimated cost: 0.00" but I'm left wondering if what he said about the wind coverage is true. I tried placing painter's tape over the bottom of the side mirror and magically the noise or rattling seemed to disappear.

I understand these issues aren't safety concerns but it's one of those things where once you notice it, it's somewhat annoying. I'm afraid they're going to claim they couldn't replicate the problems and charge me $150 for the inspection. Would I be able to take the service writer or technician out for a road test and show them? By the time the car returns back to me, the warranty will have expired. Assuming they aren't able to replicate the issue, will they fix it for free in the future if I bring it to their attention during the next routine maintenance visit even though it's out of warranty? They asked me where the car has been serviced and I told them my brother has brought it to their dealership for every maintenance during the lifetime of the vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the upcoming rant; my family has only owned Nissans during my entire lifetime (94' Sentra, 98' Sentra, 00' Altima, 13' Altima) so I am disappointed with what happened today. I understand the 13' Altima is a first production year vehicle so its to be expected that Nissan will issue out TSBs to help both dealerships and customers quickly iron out any issues missed during the engineering process. But what's the point if dealerships go out of their way to deny the existence of TSBs? I'm not trying to be picky; believe me, the car is a joy to drive and a tremendous improvement over the 00' Altima but I brought to their attention what seems to be two VERY common problems(shown by the need for a TSB) in the 13' Altima that ISN'T 'normal' and yet they make me feel as if I'm asking them to replace it with a brand new car. If things don't go as I hope, is there a strong enough case for me to speak to service department's manager? Or should I try contacting Nissan of America? For a 3 year old car with a sticker price of 27k, I just want it to operate normally! /endrant

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-13 15.49.05.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	85450   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-13 15.49.18-1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	85458  

Last edited by rcalt; 02-14-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-14-2017, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
1-800-Nissan1
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Replace the alternator refer to the tsb. It should be free well mine was i had extended warranty but it should be free... if not go to a indepdent mechanic u need an alternator with a decoupley pulley. Also there was a recent transmission update regarding some hydraulic pressure. It should fix your vibrating issues. I had exact same issues.

Last edited by Sniperkat604; 02-17-2017 at 03:38 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2017, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Go to another dealership or call nissan corp.

Last edited by Sniperkat604; 02-17-2017 at 04:52 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-19-2017, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM

I went in today for a oil change and asked the dealer to perform this TSB and it has made a big difference there is another whole discussion thread on this problem

post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalt View Post
I just got out of a 2000 Altima and into a 2013 Altima(SV+Convenience Pkg) with 24,000 on the odometer and 5 days left on the manufacturer warranty. I wanted to fix any issues with the car as I hope to own it for several years; I've already brought it in last week because the gear shifter lights were out. Having driven the car for a week, I've noticed both a growling/vibration when driving at 1400-1500 RPM and 20-30mph(easiest to replicate on a hill as I can keep the RPMs consistent) as well as some rattling/wind noise coming from the A pillar near the driver's side mirror.

After some research, I've found information on this forum regarding 2 TSBs (NTB13040 & NTB13005) detailing issues almost exactly what I'm experiencing. I brought it into the dealership today trying to explain it as clearly as possible with a printout of the TSBs but the service writer seemed reluctant to listen and suggested I was reading too much into the TSBs by bringing up problems that weren't there. In addition, he mentioned that the 'wind' noise is only covered up to 12 months/12,000 miles. Regardless, he took the car in anyway and it says "estimated cost: 0.00" but I'm left wondering if what he said about the wind coverage is true. I tried placing painter's tape over the bottom of the side mirror and magically the noise or rattling seemed to disappear.

I understand these issues aren't safety concerns but it's one of those things where once you notice it, it's somewhat annoying. I'm afraid they're going to claim they couldn't replicate the problems and charge me $150 for the inspection. Would I be able to take the service writer or technician out for a road test and show them? By the time the car returns back to me, the warranty will have expired. Assuming they aren't able to replicate the issue, will they fix it for free in the future if I bring it to their attention during the next routine maintenance visit even though it's out of warranty? They asked me where the car has been serviced and I told them my brother has brought it to their dealership for every maintenance during the lifetime of the vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the upcoming rant; my family has only owned Nissans during my entire lifetime (94' Sentra, 98' Sentra, 00' Altima, 13' Altima) so I am disappointed with what happened today. I understand the 13' Altima is a first production year vehicle so its to be expected that Nissan will issue out TSBs to help both dealerships and customers quickly iron out any issues missed during the engineering process. But what's the point if dealerships go out of their way to deny the existence of TSBs? I'm not trying to be picky; believe me, the car is a joy to drive and a tremendous improvement over the 00' Altima but I brought to their attention what seems to be two VERY common problems(shown by the need for a TSB) in the 13' Altima that ISN'T 'normal' and yet they make me feel as if I'm asking them to replace it with a brand new car. If things don't go as I hope, is there a strong enough case for me to speak to service department's manager? Or should I try contacting Nissan of America? For a 3 year old car with a sticker price of 27k, I just want it to operate normally! /endrant

I had regular mirrors and replaced them with the ones you have with the turn signals and there is a wind noise that goes with those

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > *NEW* 2013+ NISSAN ALTIMA Forum > 2013+ Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode