5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Pulski 
#1 ·
Okay, well I had a ?.
2001 Altima GXE
the correct firing order is 1-3-4-2
˅< 31
>^ 42

going in this order ** this is the round thing **

what would happen if I changed it to 4-2-1-3?
˅< 24
>^ 13

I understand that many developers just use the common firing order that everyone else uses for that cylinder number.
I also understand that it will always repeat like this

So it is still going to go in the right order overall, but what I am thinking about will start it at 4*otherside* instead of the number 1 cylinder.

I like to think outside of the box. So, if all replies could think like me and think of the best or other unknown methods of reaching the same goals.. well, that would be great.

ps, this site is great! 2001 Nissan Firing Orders
Engine Firing Orders

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
#5 ·
Do you guys even have any idea of what you're talking about? THEY ARE STILL IN THE SAME ORDER!
you can't freaking put 1 and 2 together also 3 and 4. 98gle READ THE ENTIRE post before having a smartass reply! wow.

For jayjaya29, I'm not changing the ORDER, it is still going in order. just starting on the second set first.

Anyway, to someone that at least has an idea of what he's talking about. CvlEngAltima, do you know what the delay between firings are? In the firing order 134213421342 most of the force is left in cylinder 3. In the firing order 421342134213, most of the force would be left in cylinder 2. Are you saying there is a pause between 2 to 1 in the normal timing. last time I checked, once started it doesn't have a difference in delay between any of the firings once started.

#4 ·
I'd imagine you'd have some serious timing issues.

The timing on specific engines can be changed, but not just arbitrarily.

#7 ·
Keep this in mind,

The camshaft position sensor (CMP) has a marker to the #1 cylinder. The ECU knows that, and together with other markers, i.e. CMP slits, can calculate the exact TDC position for the remaining cylinders. Let us say, we are on #1 cylinder; the ECU sees that and will fire, in tandem, the #1 fuel injector and the ignition - and hopefully the ignition will occur on the #1 cylinder.

So, with that in mind, and if you want to get away with it, you would also have to re-route the fuel injectors to coincide with the ignition firing order.

I am still trying to understand what is the 'gain' here. Either way, how about giving it a try and telling us how the engine performs?

#8 ·
Keep this in mind,
So, with that in mind, and if you want to get away with it, you would also have to re-route the fuel injectors to coincide with the ignition firing order.

I am still trying to understand what is the 'gain' here. Either way, how about giving it a try and telling us how the engine performs?
This is true with the injectors, but i still would not reccomend trying it.

#9 ·
agree with jserrano, what is it that you are trying to accomplish? I cannot see any gain in doing this......if you do try, you are going to spend countless hours trying to figure out the ECU, because it will be completely confused with what you did to the firing order....

#10 ·
Yea, the firring order is 1342 , but that doesnt mean it starts at 1 every time ... it starts wherever the engine shuts off at ....

So it can be 1342 or 3421 or 4213 or 2134 .......it all depends on where the engine is at when you shut it off ...

Oh and its not a V4 ..its a I4 ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.