The Nissan Club banner

DTC error P2A00 - any guesses?

19K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kulacool 
#1 ·
My '06 Sentra 1.8 just popped that code today in the morning. P2A00. Went to Autozone, and their code reader said something like bank 1 o2 #1 sensor out of range.

I have a short ram I installed almost a month ago, and generic aftermarket header (OBX style) just installed several days ago. At first I got "slow response" from the #1 02 sensor, so I moved it to a another of the available 3 bungs on the header, and that solved that problem.. Now 3-4 days later of error free operation, I get this new P2A00.

From reading threads around a few forums it seems there is a mix of opinions about this code. Is my o2 sensor fried? Is it the MAF that's fried? I honestly can't smell anything different (though I do have a slight cold so that's not helping) to tell if it's rich or not. My MPG display is still showing reasonable gas mileage, but I know it takes a while for it to change the display drastically so I don't know.

Any clues?

My last resort is the dealership, but then with the sr intake and header I think I'll have a heck of a time trying to get them look for the problem rather than blaming it on some odd sr or header issue...nevermind actually telling me the real reason (which I do expect to be related to my header install).

edit: I just called my dealership and they want me to bring the car so they can use "their" machine to check what the codes are. That means I can waste my whole day waiting + $80 over this. Of course, if this is urgent I will do it, but I would like to know if anyone has figured out what this code means.

See less See more
#2 ·
i've got a cat-back on my spec and if i recall correctly its the same code. These cars run strict parameters.. once you go outside of em it pisses the computer off.. basically. Its not really hurting anything, but the computer is seeing theres a lot more flow and its not getting a good reading. I can garauntee you that the dealership will say its your header, because it is. Not that its hurting anything, but its whats triggering the code. Hell i don't even have a header just a cat-back and its throwing off my A/F sensor which is throwing a code. I've already replaced the A/F sensor just to make sure and its still there. So you just gotta live with it pretty much. If the sensor is the same as mine its supposed to be reading about 1 volt (give or take a few hundred millivolts) at idle but with your exhaust its probably reading around 1.5-1.6 volts. Which is what its supposed to be reading at ~1500rpms. Which is why the computer is a bit confused.

So, in short, i wouldn't waste your money. Unless your getting a drivability issue or its jerking/stalling/hesitating i'd just go ahead and ignore it. I just gave you your 80+ dollar diagnosis right here :)

I accept paypal lol j/k.

#3 ·
Hahaha, thanks for the response. Yeah the good thing is it has so far driven normally with this code all day today. I even reset it 2 times, and each time when I start the car, the light comes back on almost within 2 seconds.

However, the reason I am worried/confused is why it ran error free for 3 days before throwing the particular code, and now after reseting the codes twice, it will pop up right away when I start my car. I am hoping you are right and it is just reading too much air for the given rpm and that it won't cause additional engine operation issues, as odd of a delay in "sensing" as it may seem to me.

If this helps any, there are 2 codes, the P2A00 and then P2A00 "pending" when I plugged in the reader. Same thing as first code but "pending." Let's hope it's nothing but modern computer annoyance. :D

I don't have a lot of money so therein lies my main concern. :D

#4 ·
thats normal. Mine did the same thing. And it takes a few days because the ECM runs the Diag check like every 12 key cycles i believe. When you erased it your probably in the diag check and it just comes back on. Either that the scanner didn't fully wipe out the code.

Its the same code.. just 1 code was outside all parameters which is the normal P2A00. The pending one was that some of the parameters were in the spec but the others weren't. So its going to run another diag check in a few more key cycles and see if its the same (which will set off a SES) or all parameters are out (which will set off a SES) or everything is in spec again, and then it'll delete the code itself. My SES light comes on/off at times. So its very touchy. Depends on the weather almost at this point.

#5 ·
Same Code p2A00 on Altima

Hey Guys having, a similar problem on my 08 altima coupe. Same code on a actron CP9175 came on today...

P2A00
02 Bank1 Sensor1
RANGE/PERFOMANCE

I do not have an aftermark intake or exhaust - but my wife did drive the car through high water, a few weeks back. It shut off the engine, but after a good cleanup - including flushing / drain the transmission fluid (w/ the pricey nissan cvt stuff) , new air fliter & oil. It has been driving fine. Then today service engine light came on..

The o2 sensor was something that may have taken moisture but I figure since it's been running ok for a few weeks it survived. Could a good clean with Electronic Cleaner - do the trick? Can this light be tripped by anything else (like gas cap?) if the light is coming on does it mean the sensor is shot - or just acting faulty? Why would car be driving fine?

Thanks for any help!

Pics of the damage - there was water (flood water from heavy storms) pooled in the airintake case - O2 sensor sits right above here I think.

Could leftover dirt from the water be interfering w/ sensor - am unsure if the shop that did the work cleaned the filter box good....

Water was only this deep - car sat in for about 15mins then was pushed thru and towed away

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.