The Nissan Club banner

Brake and Battery light on

59K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  1trucavalier 
#1 ·
Today I noticed that both the brake and battery light were on in my 97 Altima. Drove the car about 25 miles. I think it's the alternator. Belt still on and brake fluid full. Turned on wipers and they run very slow as do power windows. Could this also be a faulty voltage regulator? Any suggestions on where to get a new or rebuilt alterantor? Napa, Autozone etc? I hope this is an easy job. Strange how this happened since I drove home from work the night before without the warning lights on. Car has 109000 miles on it.:sad:

#3 ·
Yep its the alternator, I got mine for $100 with core exchange but I knew someone who worked at Kragen's.

#4 ·
i just replaced mine 2 weeks ago. Take it from me, buy a quality one; i really don't perfer the ones from discount auto stores like autozone. I have heard stories about them.

Reactions: Infinity M45
#5 ·
Bad rebuilt alternator?

Well I replaced the alternator yesterday. Took it to autozone and it failed the bench test. Got a rebuilt one from them for 140.00 and it was identical to mine, even said Nissan on it. Drove it yesterday without problems. Today driving to work the brake and battery lights came on again. My thoughts 1. Defective part 2. loose belt and lots of rain today causing belt to slip 3. loose electrcal connector. My gut tells me the part is bad. Others have posted about avoiding there parts but never say where they get there parts. Are they new or rebuilt?:confused:

#6 ·
The alternators from Kragen & Autozone are rebuilt, they do have a lifetime warranty on them so I would get the one you purchased checked. Pretty wierd though to go out after 1 day.. Check the belt.

#7 · (Edited)
with alternators you really need to find a reliable re-manufactured brand or go OEM.

The problem is that many discount re-man. alternators come from plants where there is no R&D into each alternator. Autozone and Advance alternators are so cheap because they take a core (orignal part from Nissan) Clean the outside, put new brushes and bearings inside, seal it up then make it look pretty. Sometimes they clean out threads, paint them, put a new pulley on here or there to make them look like new.

However, if no parts are visibly worn or defective, they do not replace them (otherwise it would be new, not reman.) Therefore - parts like slightly bent shafts can cause bearings to keep getting chewed up. as they slip past the migrant workers "inspecting" them in sweat shops. Remans can come with an orignally faulty voltage regulator, etc. etc.

It all comes down to getting what you pay for, this is why skimping on electrical remans. can be a P.I.T.A. in the long run. I am not bashing reman. parts, infact i sell tons of them in the parts store i work at, but sometimes things are best when purchased brand new. Myself and others are tired of people complaining that they need to buy a new alternator, then proceed to go buy the biggest POS waste of time replacement because it is $100 cheaper than an oem. I am not Mr. $ by any means, but you gotta pay to play sometimes.

#8 ·
Hey all first post!

I have a 96 Altima with 245k miles. I have an issue just like this. I will be crusing on hwy and my brake and battery light will flash on and off. I also have and issue with dash lights blinking on-off. I beleive the problem is electrical more than the alternator. Any ideas?

#10 ·
Alright here goes......your opinion I can respect that.

OP posted about Battery and Brake light on, I said I have the same issue. In you humble opinion should I have started a whole new thread for a very similar if not the same issue? Since your so enlightened about things please let me know.

Remember....opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.....but we don't always need to hear from them!

#12 ·
No no CEL, though that does come on for a couple of months then goes off. It hasn't been on for at least 8 months at this time. With the combo of dash lights blinking, brake and battery lights coming on intermitenly, I am thinking it's more of an electrical problem (short) rather than an altenator.

#13 · (Edited)
What you need to do is pull the cigarette lighter and connect a voltmeter to the plug. If while cruising the voltage drops from 13.5 (or higher) to 12.6 (or lower) then you have a charging system problem. Make sure you check this when the battery/brake light combo comes ON.

The cluster lights flickering could be related to the above issue. But I'm more inclined to think it is the dimmer light control instead.

#15 ·
Same Problem

I too have had the blinking brake light and battery light problem. I have a new battery (1.5 year old) and new alternator (1 year old). The problem does not necessarily begin when i start the car, but some times when i'm on the highway and going over bumps the lights will begin to blink on and off; some times they will stay on for about 5 to 10 min. at a time.

1994 Nissan Altima (183,000 mi)

Any advice?

#16 ·
I too have had the blinking brake light and battery light problem. I have a new battery (1.5 year old) and new alternator (1 year old). The problem does not necessarily begin when i start the car, but some times when i'm on the highway and going over bumps the lights will begin to blink on and off; some times they will stay on for about 5 to 10 min. at a time.

1994 Nissan Altima (183,000 mi)

Any advice?
I bet this is because a wiring in the charging system is loose somewhere. Get the car rev @ 2000 rpm while in the driveway, and start wiggling wires in the charging system. The charge light should flicker when you've hit the problem area.

#17 ·
go with the ac delco unit. they are reman, but mine has worked awesome for 30,000. go to a gm dealership and order one. i don't know how much, mine was for cost, since i work at a dealership. well, hope this helps

#19 ·
did anyone ever figure out this issue? my brake light and battery light are on my alternator is 10 minutes old and my battery is fully charged I even Jumper a wire straight from the alternator to the positive side of the battery light still stays on I checked the main battery fuse it is not blown

#21 ·
car broke down here LOL

then i put on this
Hmmmm look at the sticker now i understand why it didnt work!!!

Took the 10 minute altenator back off went back into the store got it tested 3.8volts continuous LMFAO! So they gave me another one WE TESTED THIS ONE FIRST works perfectly! RIDICULOUSNESS! Thank GOD for this site!!!

#24 ·
oh i scanned the receipt in so when i goes i wont have to hunt for it! I have been using advance/autozone/trakauto starters for 20ish years and 100's of customers and never and issue until now. Then again back in the day they actually sold brand new starters now even the reman is a reman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.