The Nissan Club banner

Brake Warning Light On DashBoard

53K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  altmycar 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I got an oil change at the dealer yesterday, and it wasn't until this morning that either

A) I noticed the Brake warning light in the center of the speedometer region

B) The brake light came on yesterday and I didn't notice it.

I checked to make sure my emergency brake wasn't set. It definitely wasn't.

I'm supposed to make a 3 hour trip down to Atlantic City at 1PM. This is the worst timing.

Has anyone experienced this? What should I do?

#5 ·
I have had the emergency brake light show on our dashboard while driving without reason. Took it to the dealership - they agreed that their diagnostics showed the light came on 2 times. They "think" and air bubble in the breaking system caused it - so they blead the system and re-filled it...has anyone else had this occur and is this how it can be fixed? appreciate the advice.

#6 ·
I had it happen to me on Saturday while I was in line-up at the Canada/US border (lots of crawl/stop, going into park, engine off, engine on, etc)

Shut off the car, put in the parking brake, turned car back on, let off the parking brake, and light went away never to return.

Will bring it up at my scheduled service in december (along w/ the annoying low speed whining noise issue)

#7 ·
I got the light on today morning when had to do a sudden brake (a stupid driverwent out and came back without looking that a car is there in his blind spot, I almost scratched my tire with sudden brake). The light went of when restarted the car. Lets see how it goes in next few weeks. Btw I just got my first service last friday

#9 ·
Here starts the first major issue with this car. On last Saturday the break sign showed up while driving back from Chicago and went away upon restarting the engine. So I took it the dealer today and found the error code. Now here is the interesting thing one of the technician said it's a faulty "Power Break Booster Sensor." and they will be replacing it once they receive this part some time this week. Technician also said this is a very unusual problem for a car that has only 3000 miles. :banghead:

#11 ·
I had it happen to my car as well. Just went over 4000 miles. Thought I put the parking brake on by accident. Pulled the hood and gas cap in error while trying to turn it off. Will mention that I heard the issue with the Power Break Booster Sensor may be the problem. This is quiet a few cars running into the same issue.

#12 ·
Yeah let them know. I am getting it fixed right now at the dealer. Hopefully it fixes the problem. I agree after searching this problem online, I am seeing more and more people are reporting this. Though this definitely raises the Nissan quality.

#14 ·
I checked the Nissan Publications site and I didn't see any svc bulletins about this issue. I am guessing Nissan haven't figured out the real solution yet. Though after reading this forum it looks like Nissan has been trying different things to resolve this issue.

Good point alt1000. I'll tell them to double check the entire break line this monday since I will be dropping my car overnight for a rattling issue.

#15 ·
This happened to me and it the brake booster was broken. @500 miles smh..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#16 ·
Just bought a brand new off the lot Altima yesterday and noticed the light this morning on my way to work. Brakes worked fine and had no problem, got to work pulled in to a space and shut the car off and restarted and went away. At lunch I will look at the fluid level and if that is fine, which it should be, I will be calling the dealer. 87 total miles on this and already an issue. I hope that this is not the start of bad things coming...

#17 ·
Called Nissan customer affairs

I called Nissan, I explained to them that I had an intermittent issue and that I documented the brake light coming on via video. Their response was "Did you bring it in to the Dealership" . I explained to them that absolutely I did, but a couple of days later as this anomaly happened outside of dealership hours.

Long story short....The dealership said no codes could be received via the computer. I was told next time this happens bring it in to a Shucks or O'reiley and even the dealership for this intermittent issue to see if there are any code.

I explained to the person I was shocked that critical functionality like the braking system does not store codes or temporarily capture a them somehow if their Emergency brake is not engaged but the light goes on. Seems as though they could figure that out in a critical system...

Not sure what happens next..any suggestions from you folks?

#20 ·
JACKPOT..on the way to the dealership for my oil change and my computer update to fix the Nissan Brake light warning coming on, the brake light came on again and I was able to drive to the dealership dealership to be diagnosed.
Code C1197. Vacuum sensor is stored. Brake booster is not holding vacuum. Dealership ordered new booster.
Time to buy a lotto ticket!

#21 ·
Brake light

I would question the dealer on the need to replace the brake booster. It is my understanding that this is a software issue and a reprogram corrects the vacuum issue. They should check for a Service Bulletin. Of course your issue could be different and a different code. I just know mine was corrected with the software update.

#23 ·
Agree. Had car in for heated seat issue, dealer set the e-brake and noticed problem and pro-actively applied the software fix.
I had noticed strange dash lights when car was a week old (and I had used the e-brake)- I pulled to side of road, shut and restarted engine to clear it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.