LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2004, 06:01 AM
Stringz of Death

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
signs of a bad strut mount?

hey guys...

if any of you remember, i had a supposed problem with my control arm bushings a while back...after many tests, i came to the conclusion my bushings were fine for the time being (on the right front).

ive also checked everything for correct torque, play etc...i have slight vibration coming from the right front, and it feels like that side of the car isnt as "solid" as the left front...dont know how to explain it, but thats just how i think it is...now, after checking everything and everything checking out, the only thing i havent had a chance to take a look at is the strut mount on that side. that side of the car has given me trouble for a while (since a little before i installed Intrax springs, now on H&R/Toks) and it hasnt really gotten any worse...doesnt seem to cause many problems, just annoying from the vibration (very slight) and "loose" feel. the tires were recently balanced and i will be getting new tires (Yoko AVS ES100's for my RS-5s). also makes some noise over there too at times (but not all the time). when i changed to H&R/Toks i spun the mount bearing and it was kinda noisy (didnt check for play) and i couldnt find all 4 mounts, and i think three are still good...just the one is bad...read a post by Jessa a while back and she seemed to have similar problems to me and changing the mounts worked...

so, can a bad strut mount cause slight vibration, a loose feel, and (im sure it does) noise? im probably gonna change it anyways, just want some opinions...thanks guys

Monki

Cardomain Site

2nd Gen Owners Are Assholes Crew #1

--------

For other musicians/guitarists...

My Metal band Lucian Scott

my soundclick page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2004, 11:31 PM

sounds very possible. i do know that a bad strut mount can lead to premature failure of several suspension parts. I currently have a bad front mount. I turn on of the nuts and the whole stud turns with it. luckily I got some from jason 95 along with my tranny & TC i bought from him. these will go in in a couple weeks.

if they're old, i'd definitely consider replacing them.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:13 AM
Stringz of Death

its the only side causing problems, and like i said everything else seems to be ok. its the only thing i cant check without disassembling...so i suppose ill just change it. wont take long.
i did check it when i took everything apart before, and it was noisy...so hey, just retrace my steps but yea, i was wanting some opinions...theyre not that old (i have a 99) but anything can happen ya know.

tirerack doesnt have the fronts...where to get one...any other suggestions, by the way?

Monki

Cardomain Site

--------

my soundclick page
Old 02-16-2004, 03:23 AM

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...e=1193&PTSet=B

thats for 1st gen but it's Motormite Brand and they're only 50 bucks for both front mounts. Probably the about the same price for 2nd gen if not the exact same part.

Old 02-16-2004, 03:50 AM
Stringz of Death

cool...ill check a little bit more, i heard the 1st gens wouldnt work with 2nd Gens, but then again, they might...dunno, have to check part numbers...

i really think that may be my problem...i hear clunks over there also in the strut tower area...i gotta get tires too...man LOL so ill be spending a good chunk soon next month probably (get tires, put on rims, mount on car and redo the strut mount...) why cant i be rich? LOL

Monki

Cardomain Site

--------

my soundclick page
Old 02-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Leadfoot

I plan to change those mounts next week. Actually Nissan calls them "Strut insulators". One thing to decide upon is if you want to replace the 2 bolts and nuts at the bottom of the strut as recommended by Nissan. I paid for all 4 nuts and bolts almost the same money as for a mount!
There is also a gasket (brown in color and very thin) called "spacer" that goes between the mount and the chasis where the mount attaches with the 3 bolts. It's up to you if you want to replace it. I doubt this will have any impact...
Old 02-18-2004, 03:59 AM

You can count out 4 of those bolts and just get camber bolts all around.

Old 02-20-2004, 03:14 AM
Stringz of Death

nah, im not gonna replace the strut to knuckle bolts...theyre fine...but i am replacing that strut mount, and soon, along with the tie rod end on the right side (i changed it a while back, it blew again, maybe because of the strut mount? dunno) gonna change them all at once so i dont have to do two alignments!

but im still trying to figure out if 1st gen and 2nd gen strut mounts are the same...ive found some part numbers and theyre for both gens, but TireRack (more reputable) has front mounts for 1st gens, but not for 2nd gens...which confuses me...oh well. anyone got any advice? i remember peterson trying to sell his Toks/GCs (which i wanted but couldnt give 600 at the time for them...) said that they would work on 1st and 2nd gens, which makes me think that the mounts are the same...

anyone? help? i just wanna make sure before i go and buy a mount for a 1st gen and it not work! LOL

Monki

Cardomain Site

--------

my soundclick page
Old 02-20-2004, 03:45 AM

call nissan and ask? hell, go up there and tell them to pull 1 of each and compare if they're not the same number.

Old 02-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Stringz of Death

good idea...im an idiot sometimes...forgive me i just dont think sometimes LOL

besides, i was trying to figure out if i can avoid high dealer costs...i guess thats why i didnt think of going to the dealer...

LOL

Monki

Cardomain Site

--------

my soundclick page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension > ARCHIVE: Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode