A few questions about my Altima - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A few questions about my Altima

So I just bought a 2011 Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan in silver and its a base model. Trying to do a little detailing and can't seem to figure some things out.

1. There seems to be what looks like water spots on the outside of the front and back side windows. They do not come off with RainX window cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Anyone else have this problem and any idea how to get them off?

2. Does anyone know if my molding/trim is actual chrome or if its the chrome colored plastic? Whatever it is, its discolored...almost looks like water spots but someone told me it could be oxidation which I don't really know what that is. Anyways, when I wash the car its looks beautiful and flawless but as soon as it dries it back to being ugly again. Any suggestions?

3. Before I got it there was a dealership sticker on the back and someone peeled it off. Now its just ugly black glue there in the shape of the sticker...how do I get that off? I was thinking Goo Gone but not sure if it will take off the paint.

4. The piece on the outside of the rear driver's side door is missing. Not sure what its called but I'm assuming maybe a bumper guard or something. The front driver's side piece needs to be replaced too. So where would I order there from and about what is the cost of each piece?

Sorry for all the questions and to sound so nit picky but I'm an Uber driver and like my car to look flawless if possible. Anything you can answer would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 02:11 AM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Do your window spots have texture? Do they come off with a razor blade? Trim is always plastic these days....

I would invest in some of the water based GooGone (plastic spray bottle, not the lighter fluid tin) and try that on the window spots too. It should also remove the dealer badge glue safely from your paintwork. Just use it on the affected area in case you have some kind of polish that it dulls.

The door trim pieces are called 'Side Guard Moldings', check out EXT page EXT-48. You can get them online from folks like Tasca. Only problem is painting may be required.

HTH

D.

Nissan OEM HIDs with Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine FStB & RSwB @ 200%, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs & Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice! The spots on the windows do not have texture. You can only see them and mainly when the sun is shining on them. Should I try the goo gone for the discolored chrome colored molding/trim too?
post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan.Uber.Girl View Post
Thanks for the advice! The spots on the windows do not have texture. You can only see them and mainly when the sun is shining on them. Should I try the goo gone for the discolored chrome colored molding/trim too?
No, the glass will be much more resilient to chemical 'attacks'. Figure out what works first there, then try a little on a corner of a chrome coated plastic part to make sure you don't remove the chrome!

Your best bet for the chrome and guard pieces might be a wrecker if the spots are stubborn.

I'm wondering if the spot might actually be an acid etch--in which case googone won't work (I though originally it might be old pine sap drips). Try polishing/buffing a small section of the glass with toothpaste to see if it start to slowly vanish.

Nissan OEM HIDs with Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine FStB & RSwB @ 200%, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs & Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks! Any kind of toothpaste in particular or any kind to avoid? Yes the discoloration on the plastic chrome is looks like it might be acidic related. Also, you said I may need to use a wrecked...what is that?

One more question...what forum would I post under to ask about possible causes of engine vibration?
post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Can you post pics of the items?

Maybe the window was tinted before and all the glue was not removed. Hard to think what would mark glass like that.
Make sure you clean goo gone areas with soap and water after to wash off the 'chemicals'.
Goo gone works great, use your hair dryer to heat up the glue makes it faster to remove. Use low heat and move it around in circles or high heat and move back about 12 inches and move in circles to even out the heat.

You can also buy chrome spray paint, remove the parts and spray in your garage before you buy new ones or go to a salvage yard.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Any kind of toothpaste in particular or any kind to avoid? Yes the discoloration on the plastic chrome is looks like it might be acidic related. Also, you said I may need to use a wrecked...what is that?

One more question...what forum would I post under to ask about possible causes of engine vibration?
If it doesn't harm your teeth, it's ok to use on glass.

'wrecked' = Recycled Automotive Parts

Post under your model and year range, but I can almost certainly tell you to check your engine mounts for tears for starters.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm attaching a pic of the plastic chrome discoloration and a pic of the water spot type marks on the windows. My windows are tinted but the spots are on the outside of the glass.

I'll YouTube how to check the engine mounts tonight. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161116_154844_1479329476252.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	84162   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161116_154914_1479329526024.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	84170  
post #9 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 09:06 PM

Look like hard water spots. If buffing with toothpaste doesn't help, try a mild solution of CLR on a soft cloth.

D.

post #10 of 10 Old 11-16-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oh I would have never thought of that! Great idea! I'm gonna give the toothpaste a try tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll try the CLR. I'll report back in a day or two and let y'all know how it goes. Thanks again ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Auto Detailing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode