no compression? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM

Question no compression?

Hi, I bought a car about a week ago, had a thrown rod. Went and picked up a new block and internals at a pick n pull junk yard. Threw it all back togeather, think I got it timed correctly, when I go to start it, it sounds like it has no compression at all and backfires white smoke out of the intake every once and awhile. Any help? There is one sensor that isn't hooked up, right behind the timing chain crap. I can't find the hook up for it, anywhere. Any help? This is my first rebuild project, ever lol. The radiator isn't hooded up right now, I just want to hear it run before I put those kinda things back in. Any help at all would be greatly appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like your timing is off. Did you do a compression check? Double check that your timing marks are on point on the timing chain and gears. if you are even off by one tooth, it won't run correctly

PM me for Overlay or Projector Retrofits

Old 09-19-2012, 06:06 AM

Question

I honestly don't know how to do a compression test. But, its not the timing. I've had 3 people check it and they've said its right. They're all dumbfounded on what could be wrong...I know its got spark, and fuel (air is a given). So I don't see what could be wrong......plugs aren't new, but they're clean NGKs. When I turn it over, all I hear is the starter just turning over. (If I take the plugs out and try it, it sounds the same.) I noticed their is a sensor right behind the timing chain cover, that I can not for the life of me, find the plug for. Could that plug be it? There is also another one, on the harness that I have no idea what it goes to. Its right above the tranny, next to the intake. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Last edited by nw3674; 09-19-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Buy a compression tester gauge. It screws into the spark plug hole and you can check the compression on each cylinder one at a Time. It's really hard to diagnose with not knowing what you have done completely. Take a video of what is happening and post it. Might be easier to figure out. Also see if you can take a picture of the timing chain and let's see if ALL the marks are lined up.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM

Question

Well, I'm having my friend who works at a GM dealership as a mechanic bring me a compression tester after work. I had taken out the spark plugs and had someone put their hand over the whole. Usually, it'll blow your hand off of it. But they said they didn't feel ANYTHING. I've figured that since its occationally backfiring thru the intake, something about the timing is off. Like its just pushing the compressed air out the intake, and occationally igniting. Timing is set at cylinder 1 @ TDC (2nd mark on the left), both of the first cam lobes are pointed 180 degrees away from the center of the engine. I will get some pictures and maybe a video on here after the compression test. Ive been told that it could be bad rings, but even if it did have bad piston rings, it would still have atleast a little compression, right?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Its best to relieve the fuel pressure and unplug each coil pack when you do a compression test. You wouldnt want to flood the engine with fuel. Yes you should/will still show compression with fried/blown rings...just wont be within specs..... Remove each spark plug and test each cylinder 1 at a time by plugging the compression tester into the spark plug hole and cranking the engine for about 3-5 seconds, record the number on the tester and move on to the next. All figures should be fairly close to one another which would comfirm a healthy engine internally. If one or more cylinders are 15-20 or more psi off, those are the affected cylinders and will warrant closer inspection. Hope this helps

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 PM

Ill post a pic of the timing marks and the results of the compression test later today
Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 AM

Well, depressing news /: compression of all cylinders = 0. Took the head off, EVERY single valve, SMASHED. Anyone know where I can get decently cheap vavles? Orielys is 10.50 each, ebay is 90 for a set. I don't have a lot of money right now, so does anyone know a cheaper place?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

IF the valves are all smashed, your best bet is a reman'd head because that head is going to require significant machining. There is damage that you simply cant see with your eyes. IF you do just replace the valves, valve stems, locks, and guides I guarantee that when your all done you will be pulling it back apart. Its like having a spun rod bearing and going the cheap route and just replacing that rod bearing. Sure it will hold for a little while but its only a matter of time before it "spins" again. Why? Because the spinning of the rod bearing has caused internal damage perhaps to the journals of the crank and left small metal flakes in the engine where close tolerances mean everything. in your case the replacing of the valves is not recommended. Atleast have the head inspected by a machinist/machine shop if for nothing than piece of mind.

Last edited by 4DZC; 09-21-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

After reading your original post, consider this...being an interference engine, your timing was infact off. This is why the valves were all smashed. A way to prevent this is after putting it all back together, use a large breaker bar on the crank pulley nut, and slowly rotate the engine several times. IF you feel any resistance, STOP. The valves are coming into contact with the pistons and the timing is not set correctly. Never put it back together and start cranking the engine. If your off, it will bend every last valve.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Ouch, you will need a head job. It may be cheaper just to buy a new motor instead of fixing this one. What motor came in your car?

Sent from a free Android app, screw an iPhone
Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM

just a ga16de
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
those motors are really cheap to find. Just get another motor. it's gonna cost you more to fix this one than to just get a long block. Check out the Sentra forums for details on how to put in a SR20 motor if you can afford it.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM

why dont you look up for some of the used motors for your car as this would be great for your car and also you will save much earning of yours.
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN SENTRA / 200SX / SE-R FORUMS > B14 1995-1999 Nissan Sentra & 200SX Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.