Valve Adjustment... - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Valve Adjustment...

Im hearing this rattling/ticking noise from the block and I'm 99% sure its a valve. I've been told my valve(s) need a manual adjustment, and that its "relatively" easy. So I'm gonna try and do this myself...I know its an intake valve because it ticks when I accelerate, so that maybe narrows it down to half...My question is how would I spot the odd one out if all the valves look to be in order...This may seem like a dumb question but can I run the car on idle with the cover off? Also I don't have an SES light on and the car seems to be running decent...Any help is appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2007, 05:02 PM

they are hydraulic valves......
#3 Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 PM

(Thread Starter)
Does that mean nay on running the car with cover off...? If so, would you happen to know how to spot the messed up valve(s)
#4 Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Nissan Techy

what he is saying is there really is no valve adjustment because they are hydraulic. You can run it with the cover off if you like the idea of having oil going everywhere and dirt/dust going straight into the engine. An easier idea would be to use one of those stethascopes u can buy at discount or some other similiar place and listen to it through the valve cover. It'll give you idea which group the valve with the noise is coming from.

Modifications/Upgrades:

Megan Racing header, Magnaflow Catback, JWT BSR, BG Synchroshift II, RevAuto Torque Dampner and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, Painted Engine Cover
#5 Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM

they have shims that are used to adjust the valves, but they are probably not the cause of the noise... I would be looking at the the tensioner & or guides to start with or even a VTC solenoid... just ideas
#6 Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 AM
Sentra001

How about taking it to Nissan, spend the $90.00, and let a professional diagnose the problem? Adjusting a valve is harder than it sounds. And you will have to do all of them not just one. Each piston has to be in a certain position before you can check and adjust the valve for each cylinder. So I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. People go to school for this stuff.
#7 Old 08-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
How about taking it to Nissan, spend the $90.00, and let a professional diagnose the problem? Adjusting a valve is harder than it sounds. And you will have to do all of them not just one. Each piston has to be in a certain position before you can check and adjust the valve for each cylinder. So I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. People go to school for this stuff.
+1...You dont wanna mess that shit up.

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V:::Eagle Rods:::Race Engineering LC Pistons:::WRP IM Spacer:::WRP Power Steering Pully:::WRP UD Crank Pully:::Custom Turbo Manifold:::GT35R Turbo:::JWT BSR Kit:::JWT Cams:::ARP Head Studs:::Custom 3" Exhaust:::Tokico Struts:::Sprint Lowering Springs:::4 Point Trunk Bar:::Greddy Rear Strut Bar:::CF Hood:::CF Trunk:::CF Nismo Spoiler:::CF WC Lip Kit:::18x7.5 White Volk TE37:::More Coming
#8 Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 PM

(Thread Starter)
Aight guys, well thanks 4 da help, it seems pretty obvious what i have to do. 90 bones aint to bad, im just dead broke right now, and i hate taking cars to peeps i dont tust...
#9 Old 09-16-2007, 10:12 PM

(Thread Starter)
Just thought I'd give you all an update...So i took the car to what I thought was a trusty mechanic. There was a cracked spark plug, and the oil was a little low, but other than that the car seemed to have no other apparent problems. The mechanic insisted that a piece of hard carbon had built up on the top of a piston and suggested an induction cleaning to solve the problem...Anyways, so I was charged $120 for a diagnostic, induction cleaning, an oil change, and a new spark plug...this is why I don't trust these fools...So my car is still rattling/ticking, I believe its still a valve-related issue and my car is still misfiring. I'm sadly beginning to lose my trust in Nissan, I love my car, but this is not normal and I have treated the car very well. Now I have to save up again to take this thing to a dreaded dealership...yay
#10 Old 10-07-2007, 09:26 AM

(Thread Starter)
Well, I'm really beginning to think the rattling noise may not be a valve, but simply a bad head gasket. I've read about some similar problems on the 02' and it ended up being a head gasket. I also noticed that if I hold the accelerator so far down, roughly 2.7-3000 RPM's, the sound simply "vanishes." Due to me just wanting to open this thing up cuz of that annoying sound, and the relatively low price of a head gasket I'm thinking of buying one. My question would be if its hard to install it, and if not is there instructions online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN SENTRA / 200SX / SE-R FORUMS > B15 2000-2006 Nissan Sentra Discussion (SE-R / Spec-V)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode