o2 Sensor bad, error code wont go away - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry o2 Sensor bad, error code wont go away

I replaced the second o2 sensor with a new one, but the error will not go away! i tried disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes to restart the computer, but that didnt work.

The only thing i can think of is i replaced the wrong one. When i took off the heat shields, i saw the top one then a second one further down, so I replaced the latter... it said the second o2 sensor was bad.

Also the wires were two whites, gray and a black one. i thought i might have had the two whites mixed up, so i tried them the other way and they didnt work that way either... oh yeah i bought a universal one instead of the one from nissan to save 40 bucks, but now i'm thinking 40 might have been worth it.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Nissan Techy

yea.. not trying to flame or be a dick. But if the universal required wiring it to the stock harness, and you don't have a wiring diagram to go by you can screw the ECM up. As in you having to buy a new one which is like 900 dollars if i recall correctly. Not saying thats what happened, but your better off spending the extra money on something thats plug n play that u know won't give you issues than something your second guessing on.

Back to the original topic, what did the code read, something like O2 sensor1 B1? Or O2 sensor2 B1? And what year is this? 04+ i believe uses A/F sensors not O2's. Which might be a reason why its not working if yours is 04+. Thats what i'm leaning towards right now until i get some more info. This a 1.8 or a 2.5L?

Modifications/Upgrades:

Megan Racing header, Magnaflow Catback, JWT BSR, BG Synchroshift II, RevAuto Torque Dampner and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, Painted Engine Cover
Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 AM

Its a 2002 nissan sentra SE-R.

As for the error code, i went to autozone so they could read it and they just told me it was the second o2 sensor.

And i made sure the battery was disconnected when running the wires, is there a fuse i could have blown?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:45 AM

What PO Code was it giving back? Also you got two O2 sensors. A POST and PRE O2 sensor. The PRE O2 is located near your catalytic converter. The POST O2 sensor is attached to your headers. I believe the PRE O2 is #1, and the POST is #2, but I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Look here for some pics...

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/b15...r-request.html

Get the PO Code and match it up with this...

Nissan OBDII Code Chart

Or even grab the mechanical service manual for free and look it up in there as well...

Knowledgebase - Sentra/200SX - Nissanhelp.com

Goodluck!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:38 AM
slowly losing my sanity..

did you ever successfully reset the SES? maybe the new o2 is good, but the SES just needs to be cleared out. this involves pedal pushes, etc. (or cleared with OBD) i don't think you can clear the codes just by disconnecting the battery.

i think you can read the wires on the sensor with a meter to see if it really is good or bad. check the service manual.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 PM

so does anyone know how to clear the codes? i searched on google but couldnt find anything.

thanks for the help so far though.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM

Quick and easy way is to just take it back up to an advanced auto, hook up the OBDII, and clear the codes that way. If it comes back on then you still got an issue. Post the PO Code that you get if it comes back on.

OR

How to read the engine codes without a Nissan CONSULT or scan tool. (Set ECM in Diagnostic Test Mode II)

Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.

Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.

Fully depress the accelerator pedal.

Fully release the accelerator pedal.

Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the MIL starts blinking.

Fully release the accelerator pedal.

ECM has entered to Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results).

How to clear the engine codes without a Nissan CONSULT or scan tool.

Set ECM in Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results).

Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds. The emission-related diagnostic information has been erased from the backup memory in the ECM.
3. Fully release the accelerator pedal, and confirm the DTC 0000 is displayed.

If the battery is disconnected, the DTC will be lost from the backup memory within 24 hours.
* Be careful not to erase the stored memory before starting trouble diagnoses.

So just wait a day...
Old 03-30-2008, 05:38 PM

You should try to go down to your autozone and have them read the code again. It is important to know if the code that was displayed is an o2 sensor heater code. If there was a heater code displyed there is a possibility the you will need an ecm.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:09 PM

Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyR View Post
You should try to go down to your autozone and have them read the code again. It is important to know if the code that was displayed is an o2 sensor heater code. If there was a heater code displyed there is a possibility the you will need an ecm.
Hey i am having a P0037 code that will not stay off. I have replaced the second 02 on my 2002 SpecV and it just keeps coming back on. What did you mean by (a new ecm). I can't find anything about this code.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 AM

P0037/38 Are related to a Cam Shaft Position Sensor issue. This is very common problem for 02-04 QR25DE's. It is so common that it's covered under a recall to have it replaced for free Calling the phone number listed in the recalls below and following the instructions on how to get it replaced.

Quote:
NHTSA wrote:

Make : NISSAN Model : SENTRA Year : 2002
Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date : NOV 04, 2003
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V455000
N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 630000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR OR CAM POSITION SENSOR MAY HAVE AN IMPROPER SOLDER JOINT DUE TO SOLDER DEFORMATION CAUSED BY HEAT STRESS ACCELERATED BY THE EXISTENCE OF FLUX RESIDUE DURING THE SOLDERING PROCESS.
Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE THE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" WARNING LIGHT TO COME ON, CREATE A NO START CONDITION, CAUSE REDUCED ENGINE POWER, OR CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CRANK POSITION SENSORS. CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR(S), AND IN SOME CASES, THE VARIABLE TIMING CONTROL SENSOR(S). VEHICLES INVOLVED IN A PREVIOUS RECALL CAMPAIGN, 01V357, ARE ALSO INCLUDED IN THIS NEW CAMPAIGN. THE REPLACEMENT SENSORS USED IN THAT CAMPAIGN ARE ALSO AFFECTED. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON DECEMBER 22, 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261 OR INFINITI AT 1-800-662-6200.
Notes:
NISSAN RECALL NO. R3022/INFINITI RECALL NO. R3021. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION┐S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
Quote:
NHTSA wrote:

Make : NISSAN Model : SENTRA Year : 2002
Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date : NOV 08, 2007
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V527000
N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 653910
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.5L ENGINE, THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CAN OVERHEAT CAUSING A BRIEF INTERRUPTION IN THE SIGNAL OUTPUT FROM THE SENSOR.
Consequence:
IF THE INTERRUPTION IN THE SIGNAL FROM THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR IS SO BRIEF THAT THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE (ECM) LOGIC DOES NOT HAVE TIME TO DIAGNOSE THE CONDITION, THE ENGINE MAY STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING WHILE THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN AT A LOW SPEED INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE ECM FREE OF CHARGE. CERTAIN MY 2006 ALTIMAS WHICH HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY REMEDIED UNDER RECALL CAMPAIGN 06V223 (NISSAN R0606) ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS RECALL SINCE THE REPROGRAMMING FOR 06V223 ALSO INCLUDED THIS REPROGRAMMING. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT DECEMBER 10, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.
Notes:
THIS IS AN EXPANSION OF A PREVIOUS CAMPAIGN (06V223). CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
You can also grab the service manuals for your vehicle by going here...

Index of /FSM/Sentra/2002

Grab all of the manuals. Under the "EC.pdf" (Engine Control) you can search the document for P0037 which points to a CPS issue. Goodluck!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Hey thanks I am going to talk to them today about it. Will they still do this even if I'm out of warrenty and all recalls are up to date.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 AM

Regardless if your out of warranty, it's a recall and is good for I believe 10 years after the manufacturer date of the car. Yet if they already replaced the crank shaft position sensor once,and it's on record, then they won't do it again for free. Yet if they state they have it on record, ask for proof. Have them show you the records of date/time/mileage the recall was performed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN SENTRA / 200SX / SE-R FORUMS > B15 2000-2006 Nissan Sentra Discussion (SE-R / Spec-V)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode