2005 air flow control stuck on vents - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2005 air flow control stuck on vents

I apologize if this subject has already been brought up in the forums previously... I did search, and did not see any matching threads, although admittedly I'm not the greatest at digging down with this type of search engine.

Just recently... as in this morning... my air flow control stopped working.

I can turn the knob I can feel slight resistance when it turns past each setting... but nothing that feels like some thing binding. Like the title states the system is stuck on vents... which is a bit of a problem since we are heading into fall... and defrost will be needed... sooner than later.

Has anyone had this problem, what solution did you end up with, and what is the estimated cost in your case?

Does anyone know if Nissan uses a cable, vacuum, or electric system?

Will a bone tool pop off the frame around the knobs... or is there some hidden screws?

Is there a way to change it manually so that I can get it into defrost mode for now so I have a little more time to tinker?

Thank you for any information you can provide on the above questions, or beyond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like the mode control is cable. Download the MTC section of the FSM here Index of /FSM/Sentra then look at page 42 (at least 42 on the 03 model) and it shows how to adjust it. I think you're looking for the Mode Control Linkage.
#3 Old 09-28-2010, 07:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
this is genius! thank you! I started to take the console apart at lunch... until I needed a screw driver. Wasn't that bad I should have a good idea what the problem is tomorrow. especially with the docs. you supplied. +1
#4 Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 PM

(Thread Starter)
now if I could just find the same for my Volvo I'd be set!
#5 Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
no problem Ulrich. Just be sure to post the "fix" for future reference.
#6 Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
will do!
#7 Old 10-20-2010, 09:25 PM

(Thread Starter)
Fixed

The clip that holds the cable housing to the back of the climate control switch unit (the part that has all the knobs on it for controlling the climate in the car) came unhooked... found out the little bit of plastic that holds that end of the clip in place broke.

So... figuring to buy a whole new unit would cost a good amount of money I modified the clip to make it work.

How I modified it (just how I did it... might not be the best way):

Tools (sorry I don't have the specific sizes... but if you have it apart you can figure it out):

Drummel with cutting wheel, a drill bit, and a small egg shaped grinding bit. (drill bit and grinding bit need to be similar in diameter to your bolt.
small ratchet and deep socket
philips screw driver
small long bolt
small washer
large washer
locknut

Procedure:

take center portion of dash apart removing everything including the radio.

Cut end of clip off leaving the side with the cable clamp in tact.

Use egg shaped grinding bit grind out the ends of the grove opposite of the cable clamp side of the clip so that your bolt can fit through it.

Hold clip in place and mark the housing so that you can drill a hole in it for the bolt to fit through.

hold clip in place, put a small washer on the bolt and insert it through the clip and housing place large washer on opposite side (this will make sense when you look at it) place your locknut on the bolt and tighten down until clip is secure.

reassemble the center part of the dash.

Hopefully this helps others. if you have questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer.
#8 Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 PM
belltech266

2005 stuck on vents

I have exactly the same problem and I can't figure out how to get the dash apart. I have taken the top part off, the one with the storage box and hazard switch and air vents. I have removed the two screws at the top of the radio but that is as far as I can get. I can't see any other screws to take out but it doesn't seem like it's just going to pull out either. It feels like there some screws holding the control unit in but I don't know how to access them.
#9 Old 11-15-2010, 06:49 PM

(Thread Starter)
the plastic molding that is around the climate control knobs and the little rectangle pocket in the lower part of the console just pulls straight off. then you will see the other screws. It's a tight fit but if you use a bone tool around the climate control area it should pop free... if you don't have a bone tool any small flat tool should work.
#10 Old 11-15-2010, 08:11 PM
belltech266

2005 vent

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I was so afaid of braking something and I didn't know that that panel just pulled off like that. The little plastic cable stop and the plastic piece that holds the clip in had both broken. A couple of cable ties and it's fixed for now. Boy I really needed it this morning, rain and fog down here. At least it will get me through until I can find a used one somewhere.

Thanks again
Joe
#11 Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM

(Thread Starter)
glad to help.

Yeha it's not a very durable design... but relativily easy to work around, or use a modified fix on.
#12 Old 09-24-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GXEDD View Post
Looks like the mode control is cable. Download the MTC section of the FSM here Index of /FSM/Sentra then look at page 42 (at least 42 on the 03 model) and it shows how to adjust it. I think you're looking for the Mode Control Linkage.
What do we do if the cable itself is stuck/jammed? Were does it connect to the airflow box? How do we get to that?

thanks

The Popemobile is my dream car.

Last edited by Geremia; 09-24-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN SENTRA / 200SX / SE-R FORUMS > B15 2000-2006 Nissan Sentra Discussion (SE-R / Spec-V)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode