Timing chain problem Sentra 2005 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Timing chain problem Sentra 2005

My Nissan Sentra 2005 with a mileage of 86,000+, is giving me a headache. The timing system broke down 3 weeks ago--all the broken parts have been replaced but the "check engine soon" keeps appearing.

I don't want to take it to the dealer because I will have to spend 1000$ with them and the mechanic I know will charge 150$ for labor. I made our mechanic friend talk to the mechanic at Nissan (because he can't pinpoint the problem). They concluded it was not an electrical problem, but it's because the "timing was off". He is having a hard time with my car; he already had for three weeks now. This mechanic owns a large auto-repair shop for 8 yrs and has been doing mechanic stuff starting college. His reputation is good too. It's just that I think it's the first time he encountered this type of problem.

Should I stick with him or should I really take it to the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It IS an electrical issue. More then likely it is a sensor reporting to the ECU about the timing being off. The CEL is only illuminated when there is an electrical signal out of factory spec detected and sent to the ECU to compare to the software programmed within from the factory. It will not report anything mechanical. Tell your mechanic friend that he/she is hunting for perhaps an unplugged or otherwise damaged sensor, OR it may infact be that the timing is off, BUT the CEL is not on because of this, it would be on because the sensor that reports to the ECU about the timing being too high or too low. Check crank/camshaft sensors. Make sure they are genuine Nissan if they were replaced. Some aftermarket sensors do not work well with Nissans. lol

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
#3 Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
Oh... ok. Thank you! I'll tell my mechanic friend.

I talked to him this weekend, he tried to retard or advance the timing chain. When he tried to retard the timing chain, the car won't even start. ugh.

BTW, the code appearing is P0011.
#4 Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

This is a DOHC engine correct? P0011 points to the "A" over advanced timing....and P0014 is the B
"B" over advanced timing. Im sorry, who did the timing chain replacement? Has anyone looked into the cam position sensor yet? Again the ECU is recieving the signal from this. Its job is to report the location of the cams in relationship to specs.

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
#5 Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 PM

(Thread Starter)
uh... I don't know what the engine is--I know almost nothing about the mechanics of a car. ahaha! It's just recently that I'm learning because of that stupid SES light.

The timing chain was not replaced because it was ok-- three sensors the camshaft, crankshaft, and the IVT something were replaced though. Oil change was done, all sludges removed. My mechanic said, everything sensor seems to be in their proper place according to the manual his Nissan mechanic friend gave him. Also, he already did everything, looked at all the mechanical aspects, but still, the light is on.

Also, he took my car to the dealer to tell them that it might actually be the computer. And so, the Nissan mechanic swapped a brand new computer with mine, and it showed the same P0011 code. So, it's not the computer.

Question, if the problem is still about the timing chain and the sensors, can I feel that something is wrong when i am driving the car? I already took it to the freeway for 1 hour, speed 70-80mph, and it is running fine. No engine noises, very powerful, accelerates easily... It was actually running much better as compared to before.
#6 Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

No, with a timing chain, normally you will hear chatter from the timing chain cover. I still believe it to be a sensor. Something is turning the CEL on, and it still appears to be electrical. Have your mechanic friend not just look at the sensors and say they appear to be INSTALLED fine, that may not be enough. He has to test the voltage and compare that with what Nissan says it should be. A bad sensor will not LOOK bad, but it will give false or inaacurate signals via voltage to the ecu to compare to the info in the ecu. Did he ask the Nissan tech what he thought it could be?

#7 Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
He did consult with Nissan's technicians and the at one time he was told that the timing might be off. The last time they talked, I didn't know what he was advised to do. I'm going back for my car today. I'll ask him if he tried testing the voltage of the sensors.

Worst case scenario: Nissan's mechanics might not be being "too helpful" to my mechanic friend so that in the end, I'll return to them for repairs. haha. I hope not.

I'll keep in touch...
#8 Old 08-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, keep us posted. Just dont see how the timing could be off if he set the timing. Timing being off could also adversely effect drivability, but you stated that it felt strong on the highway etc.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN SENTRA / 200SX / SE-R FORUMS > B15 2000-2006 Nissan Sentra Discussion (SE-R / Spec-V)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode